Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-28-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
Helborn

Default Darkness spell

The description of the darkness spell states:
Darkness (S): Extinguishes all artifcial lights (including Light spells) within its range. Does not affect light from sources outside its range. Range is 1 MH from the wizard’s MH for every ST point used to cast it. Duration 3 turns – can be extended past that time (whatever its range) for 1 ST per turn. Example: A wizard wishes to cast Darkness in an area 3 MH from his own MH for 4 turns. It costs him 3 ST to cast the spell, and one more to hold it for the 4th turn. If the wizard is killed or goes unconscious, the darkness lifts. The wizard can limit the darkness effect to a part of that area, even to having it hit one torch among dozens, if he wishes. Torches, lights, etc., come back to life when the spell ends.

The question is whether the torch is still burning and just the light cannot be seen and thus still does permanent damage to trolls and double damage to green slimes, etc. or is the torch out and it just does plain club damage in darkness? Is the light spell continuing in the darkness but just cannot be seen?

The above is how I understand the spell - but if I am correct then the word "extinguishes" should be either "suppresses" or "cloaks" or, possibly "obscures" or "masks" rather than "extinguishes" since the lights are visible again after the darkness lifts. The word "extinguishes" would require that the darkness spell relight those lights after it lifts. This double magic action is contrary to all other spells in TFT.

Last edited by Helborn; 09-28-2018 at 06:36 AM. Reason: corrected sentence
Helborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Darkness spell

I would say it goes out (is no longer on fire) for the duration of the spell for two reasons: its the primary meaning of 'extinguish'; and, the fact that light from sources outside the area of effect can still illuminate the area - thus, the spell does not block the light itself but rather 'extinguish' its sources within the area. But the other interpretation is reasonable as well.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
JohnPaulB

My questions were along the same lines:

Does this mean that you could temporarily stop a fire burning your library by casting this spell and holding it, while others fetch water to put it out?

This could also save someone who is on fire for a short time as they attempt to move where they will be put out?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Venomous Filigree

My question is, if cast in the middle of a field at noon, does it actually do anything, ie there is no artificial light to be extinguished?
Venomous Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Filigree View Post
My question is, if cast in the middle of a field at noon, does it actually do anything, ie there is no artificial light to be extinguished?
It doesn't seem like it. If you want darkness in that situation, cast Shadow.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
My questions were along the same lines:

Does this mean that you could temporarily stop a fire burning your library by casting this spell and holding it, while others fetch water to put it out?

This could also save someone who is on fire for a short time as they attempt to move where they will be put out?
That is a good question. I doubt Steve had this in mind when he wrote it.

However, everyone seems to be assuming that the light sources _extinguished_ would automatically re-light themselves at the end of the duration. Why? Why wouldn't the angry villagers have to manually re-light their torches and lanterns? It said "extinguishes".

EDIT: Oops. I just read the last sentence. How embarrassing. Yet, how strange an effect.

Last edited by platimus; 10-02-2018 at 08:43 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote