Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Kilmore

Default Overhead body slam

Assuming a character has an opponent grappled and has lifted him, while overcoming all attempts to escape, what if the character wants to lift his opponent over his head He-Man style and plant his opponent in the dirt directly in front of him?

Is this covered in the rules somewhere? I've skimmed through Basic and MA.

I would suppose it would take another turn to lift him overhead (with consequent attempts to escape) and then he inflicts full thrust damage (unless the opponent does something sufficiently acrobatic, maybe?) to a random hit location.
Kilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Overhead body slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmore View Post
Assuming a character has an opponent grappled and has lifted him, while overcoming all attempts to escape, what if the character wants to lift his opponent over his head He-Man style and plant his opponent in the dirt directly in front of him?

Is this covered in the rules somewhere? I've skimmed through Basic and MA.

I would suppose it would take another turn to lift him overhead (with consequent attempts to escape) and then he inflicts full thrust damage (unless the opponent does something sufficiently acrobatic, maybe?) to a random hit location.
I believe this is in Martial Arts as "Pile Driver"
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:39 AM   #3
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I believe this is in Martial Arts as "Pile Driver"
I'm not sure:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA p85
Piledriver involves grappling your opponent, turning
him upside down, and driving his skull into the ground by
sitting down hard.
So this involves going down yourself as well, using the mass of both bodies to drive the unlucky opponent into the ground.

For the attacker to remain standing I'd rather do this similar to a Grab & Smash. Although G&S is a 1 round action, and lifting someone over your head after the initial grapple is bound to take a round by itself. But I'd take a cue to damage from G&S to slamming the opponent into the ground A "Kiss the Carpet" deals thr dam, plus bonus for Brawling; Wrestling or Sumo. I'd give +2 bonus for slamming from a greater height.

Back in 2009 I asked the forum the question: "What to roll when picking up somebody and shoving them down along a bar counter?"

The suggestions back then was to:
1: Grapple opponent
2: Pick up opponent and haul to bar counter
3: Slide opponent down bar, using Shove mechanics (at x2 effective damage for smooth surface)

And alternative use a round between 2 and 3 to slam opponent hard down on bar counter (Kiss the Carpet damage)

After TG was published the Pickup mechanics (p24) has rules about the pickup, and I guess CP from the initial grapple can be spent on penalizing the opponent in the ensuing contest.

Grab & Smash in TG is ruled to allow CP spent for additional damage only if done immediately.
So getting lots of CP in the initial grapple won't deal extra damage for slamming the foe onto the bar. But they can help with lifting or with the ensuing Shove.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:47 AM   #4
Rupert

This seems to me to be a two yard fall (assuming SM+0 combatants) for the victim, plus some amount for the 'boost' by the lifter.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #5
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
This seems to me to be a two yard fall (assuming SM+0 combatants) for the victim, plus some amount for the 'boost' by the lifter.
Yeah, I thought about that as well. But that makes it dependent on the victim's HP, and still needs some addition for being hurled to the ground from this height.
A fall from 2 yards is a collision at velocity 7. For a basic 10 HP person on hard ground (use 2xHP) that's (7*10*2/100) = 1,4 dice of damage. IIRC fractions above 1,0 rounds down so 1d damage.
That's more than the thr. dam of a ST 10 attacker using the Kiss the Carpet damage rules. If the attacker has some bonus damage from Brawling, Wrestling or Sumo.

If the slam into the ground is treated like a Fall (hence a Collision) then I anticipate player arguing to use Breakfall or Acrobatics to mitigate damage. And I may even agree, unless the attacker has the victim in such a grab that he has no wiggle room?

For ease of play I think I'll keep treating a slam into the ground as a Kiss the Carpet, with a further +2 for the drop height.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Actually, Piledriver includes two options. To quote:
  1. "Grappling your opponent, turning him upside down, and driving his skull into the ground by sitting down hard." (Martial Arts, pp. 85-86.)
  2. "Grapple your adversary, pick him up, and smash him skull-first into the floor, wall, or other fixed object." (Martial Arts, p. 87.)
You want the second option.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
Toptomcat

Alternatively, there's nothing preventing you from using the damaging version of Judo Throw for a version of this that isn't inherently an All-Out Attack. Faster, no turn to escape, not as damaging.

Last edited by Toptomcat; 07-20-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #8
Kilmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Actually, Piledriver includes two options. To quote:
  1. "Grappling your opponent, turning him upside down, and driving his skull into the ground by sitting down hard." (Martial Arts, pp. 85-86.)
  2. "Grapple your adversary, pick him up, and smash him skull-first into the floor, wall, or other fixed object." (Martial Arts, p. 87.)
You want the second option.
Arigato, sensei.
Kilmore is offline   Reply With Quote