Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
Anders

Default Re: The Confusion of Detecting Magic and Items

Then just don't require a roll.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Then just don't require a roll.
That effectively is saying the bonus is +20.

I think 10 Concentrate Manuevers is excessive. If you compare it to other similar tasks like shouting advice or gaining situational awareness, one Concentrate seems to be correct. If you hear the enemy wizard invoke Glaar'thag The Lord Of Deathtouch, then it shouldn't take you long to know that he is casting Deathtouch.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Anders

Anyway, this is off-topic. Short answer - skills can do a lot of identifying, but in some games it is difficult to do this with magic items. I remember old AD&D, where every use of Identify cost you 100 gp.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Anyway, this is off-topic. Short answer - skills can do a lot of identifying, but in some games it is difficult to do this with magic items. I remember old AD&D, where every use of Identify cost you 100 gp.
In my last DF game nobody bothered with Analyze, they just paid in town for it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Still true at least as far as 3.5. I don't know whether later editions changed that, though I'd honestly be surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliconhobbit View Post
It would seem to me that this is a very situational spell and not very utilitarian. Aside from the fact that it has no use on items that have permanent magical effects or spells on them, if a player DIDN'T know wether or not an effect or spell was permanent this spell could easily waste the time and FP of the caster. "Oh, sorry there Bob the Mage, the spells this item are permanent. You've just wasted your time and 2 FP and the ONLY knowledge you gained is that you'll have to cast a different spell." (GM cackling behind the GM's screen ducking as the Magic book flies past his head)
It may not be a great spell, but 2 FP and 1 second is a pretty trivial cost, and that sounds like pretty good information TBH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliconhobbit View Post
And again like the Identify Spell, if the player doesn't KNOW those spells him or herself, this spell prompts the GM to give VAGUE answers.
No, like Identify Magic it indicates vague answers for spells that the caster does not know of. Which by default includes no spells at all - there are only any such spells if the GM (or in theory one of the other players) specifically wanted there to be.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Some spells are really easy to figure out, yes. Unless you're figuring out whether they're an illusion.
Exactly.

In this case Bob the Wizard has a choice, cast Identify Spell for 1 FP* and one second's worth of concentration, or he can spend several seconds and make a skill roll for no FP (or eventually just have a skill high enough to soak more than -10 in penalties).

Time or FP, both are resources.

Also this keeps Sara the Scholar from completely stepping all over Bob's toes in the "Who is better at analyzing magic" department.

* Presuming a DF Wizard (or even any starting Wizard worth the name) they'd have it at skill level 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No, like Identify Magic it indicates vague answers for spells that the caster does not know of. Which by default includes no spells at all - there are only any such spells if the GM (or in theory one of the other players) specifically wanted there to be.
Yeah, Ye Olde Secret Spell games.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote