Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #1681
JMason

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2274...-own-language/

AI invents it's own, more "efficient" language. Was it taken down before it sent out instructions... has Overmind awakened?
Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #1682
Flyndaran
Untagged

That has interesting potential for A.I. filled settings. They may have more languages and dialects than the human populations not fewer. Or one super efficient tongue as is often suggested in fiction.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #1683
Flyndaran
Untagged

Not sure if this fits the thread, but I recently moved.
In at the bottom of one of my boxes, I found a name tag for Target with my name. To the best of my memory, I've never worked there.

Reality quake?

Last edited by Flyndaran; 08-01-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #1684
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2274...-own-language/

AI invents it's own, more "efficient" language. Was it taken down before it sent out instructions... has Overmind awakened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
There is not enough evidence to claim that these unforeseen AI divergences are a threat or that they could lead to machines taking over operators.
Yes, because AIs using jargon will be able to reach through the screen and grab me by my brainstem.</sarcasm>

There is no evidence to claim that the two AI developing a better way to do the task that they were tasked with doing a better way is threatening or hostile or whatever the hell the reporter is trying to imply here. This is the worst kind of reporting.

Not your fault, but I am immensely annoyed by this article. If you isolate two humans and have them only ever talk about a small subset of things, they also will develop a verbal shorthand that third parties don't immediately understand. It's called "jargon", and it's not some sort of freeking mind control, nor a sign of rebellion. It's also not a secret incomprehensible language as they already know what the shorthand the two AI developed meant. It's difficult for humans to use that shorthand... but I can't emit TCP packets either and that's not considered a sign of impending robopocalypse.

Blaaaaarg *shakes fist at heavens* Damn all ill-informed sensationalist AI reporting!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #1685
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That has interesting potential for A.I. filled settings. They may have more languages and dialects than the human populations not fewer. Or one super efficient tongue as is often suggested in fiction.
I expect about as many AI dialects as there are groups of AI communicating with each other.

AI are typically vastly more isolated than human popultions have ever been, as they can't ever climb the mountain, ford the river, build a boat, or lay down new ethernet cable. The two AI from the article developed a "twin language" kind of thing because they literally never talk to anyone else, and so it doesn't matter if anyone else can understand them, including humans. If they regularly had to talk to English-speaking humans, then they'd be more "fixed" in human-comprehensible English because they would have to deal with things like humans being really bad at telling apart six repetitions from eight repetitions, for example.

I suspect if people started requiring two AI groups to periodically (But not regularly) communicate with each other, we'd end up with trilingual AI, able to speak English, and the two dialects of both groups. Or they'd develop a third pidgin dialect that covers only whatever tasks they need to communicate with each other about, depending on the depth of communication between the two groups. Just like with humans.
Only the AI might be slightly better at developing a handshaking protocol for identifying which language to use in a transaction.

Unlike with humans it's very likely you'd end up with AI paring their dialects down to mutually exclusive sets of vocabulary; if group A only ever has to talk about protein folding and group B only ever has to talk about advertising analytics, they're quickly going to have nothing in common. Humans have a set of objects, roles, and actions that are by necessity in common, regardless of circumstances. Every human eats, poops, sees babies and old people, gets injured, sees the sun and the moon, and so forth. Any two AI can be drastically alien to each other in a way that any two humans simply cannot.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #1686
Anders

In what sense are the new sentences more efficient?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #1687
Anders

Have you ever wondered what shape honeycombs 4-dimensional bees would use use?

No? Too bad. Here's a video about it.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 08-04-2017 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Link removed.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:17 AM   #1688
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Have you ever wondered what shape honeycombs 4-dimensional bees would use use?

No? Too bad. Here's a video about it.
[MOD]
This is a thread for real-world weirdness with RPG potential. The linked material is 11 minutes of math discussion containing barely a sentence of RPG potential. Thus, this post is classified as a derailing link-dump. Don't do that.
[/MOD]
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #1689
Anaraxes

A family in Oklahoma, working on their dirtbike trail in their back yard, discovers a new, plastic-wrapped Chevy Trailblazer SUV from 2003 buried under a rise.

Could be quite a nice find in your post-apocalyptic game. Also a nice backstory for a device for a far-post-apoc game, of the more fantasy arising from the ancient techno-glory sort. Those Ancient machines have to come from somewhere. Or change the window dressing for other settings; had the property formerly been owned by a Jedi, you might find an X-Wing back there a couple of decades after Order 66.

The object might also be a MacGuffin, with the real plot point related to the reason it was buried. Past insurance fraud, or to turn up the drama, a murder mystery, leads into the next adventure.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #1690
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

It doesn't look brand new to me...

It occurs to me the riskiest part of burying something for later retrieval is that it will be moved around in the dirt and might be hard to locate because the terrain changes. A vehicle might be a decent "case" to hide it in.

If you've got one lying around. Now I'm imagining the vehicle being sold after it was found, and you have to track this formerly buried truck through the country so you can take the mcguffin out of its engine.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox