Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #31
JLV

Default Re: Modular Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Okay guys, here you go. Cidri as viewed from space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
And here's the Enterprise (sticking to the Star Trek theme) inside a Dyson Sphere.
I don't care what anybody says, the fact that we are getting pics like these and this site is still free is just awesome! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #32
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Cidri has to be more than 10 times the earth's radius:
Only if it's one world.

A world 10× Earth's diameter should be either 10 G's, or have a gas core... because even a light silicate would still be at least 2.5 G's. (Gravity is the mass/distance^2, and since mass is a density*radius^3 function, and distance is radius, they reform as density*radius^3/radius^2=Density*Radius^1)

And the sighting distances would be scary...
On 10× Earth sized world...
Man, 1.7m 14.7 km to horizon
Platform 100m + man 113 km to horizon.
Dwarf 1.4m 13,4 km to horizon
Hobbit 1.1m 11.8 km

The mountaintop city at 1 km above the surface can see to the next mountain or to 357 km... whichever is closer. Insane levels of reach.

It's why I went for a rosette of oversized worlds... sure, thats only about 13.5× the area... but to be not totally alien, we need Cidri to either be a hyperdimensional space or to be under about 2× Earth diameter (and thus either smaller than claimed, or multi-world).
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:09 AM   #33
warhorse11h

What if Cidri is actually a Dyson sphere, designed to appear as a gigantic world to any who are looking at it from its exterior, which is where our heroes exist.
The Mnoren inhabit the interior, going about their business in anonymity, hidden from view by the elaborate camouflage of the exterior world.
Could that not provide a gigantic world with normal earth gravity at its surface?
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #34
warhorse11h

In line with my previous post.

Perhaps what is at the center of this Dyson sphere is not a star, but something else. An extra-dimensional prison.

Perhaps the Mnoren, having developed far beyond our current technology, split into two factions and fought a war among themselves. At the end of that war, one third of them, the losing faction, were confined in this prison. And the sphere was created to conceal it. The exterior of the sphere was transformed into a gigantic world, complete with varied lifeforms to further conceal and protect the interior.

Additionally, the Mnoren took steps to insure that the beings inhabiting the surface of the sphere would not develop technology to penetrate the sphere and disturb what was contained within.

Lastly, the imprisoned Mnoren, exposed to the environment of their prison, over the course of time, mutated into forms that the inhabitants of Cidri think of as Demons, who can temporarily be released from their prison by humans using magic.

Just a little food for thought.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #35
KevinJ

I think the most important thing to remember about Cidri is that... Nothing has to make sense!

A sufficiently advanced Technology is indistinguishable from Magic.
A sufficiently advanced Magic is indistinguishable from Technology.

You never, ever, ever! have to explain anything to the players. They do not understand the Rules of Science that the Mnoren used(use) to create and maintain Cidri. You can have a section of Cidri with 2.0 gravity while another area might have 0.6. If a player asks how this can be you ask him if his PhD in theoretical physics didn't cover that...

If you just say "It is like this." and don't try to explain the physics or magics then the players aren't going to ask questions unless they just want to be contrary and then you have more problems than any explanation will solve.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #36
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
A sufficiently advanced Technology is indistinguishable from Magic.
A sufficiently advanced Magic is indistinguishable from Technology.
When I brought this point up last time, it was dismisssed with a remark of something like; "Isn't that just a way to say we don't understand something?"

Unfortunately I was gone for a while and never really got a chance to respond to that reply, but I will now:

"Isn't that EXACTLY the situation we are all in on this subject?" ;-)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #37
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
When I brought this point up last time, it was dismisssed with a remark of something like; "Isn't that just a way to say we don't understand something?"

Unfortunately I was gone for a while and never really got a chance to respond to that reply, but I will now:

"Isn't that EXACTLY the situation we are all in on this subject?" ;-)
And Steve has said that he never put anything in writing ON PURPOSE.

So that means the rest of us should just use better smoke and mirrors. Don't sweat it and if your players do, kill the characters that bring it up.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 AM   #38
KevinJ

What if the Forgotten Realms (GASP!) are actually on Cidri!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #39
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
What if the Forgotten Realms (GASP!) are actually on Cidri!
In my Cidri, they are. So also are the Wilderlands...
Old 05-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #40
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
In my Cidri, they are. So also are the Wilderlands...
As are Westeros, Barsoom, and at least a couple of copies each of Middle Earth, Numenor, and Valinor.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote