Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
malchidael

Default Re: Other Settings to TfT - Any Interest?

I've always thought that the old Judges' Guild Wilderlands of High Fantasy would be a good campaign world for TFT.

You already have your "ancient race" of high-tech beings (Markab as opposed to Mnoren - or perhaps they are Mnoren), artifacts laying around waiting to be discovered, and of course, an "invincible overlord" who hires mercenaries, and would probably want to test them, so it seems like a good fit.

And I agree with Todd - a high fantasy/swords & sorcery campaign in the Dreamlands would rock. At one point, I was running a similar idea through my head - the player characters wake up with no memory of who they are, at the 70 steps of light slumber.... and are pursued by un-nameable foes.... The basic premise is that they were assassinated, and the campaign takes place in the last moments of their life. Over the course of the campaign, they gain clues to this, and can look for ways to either stay in the Dreamlands or return to life to gain revenge.

I figured my players wouldn't enjoy the plot twist, so I never really pursued it.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
The Wyzard

This is going to sound bug wild, but

My dream campaign to run would be a sort of 70s-era dark urban fantasy/psychic horror deal. Draw from stuff like Phenomenon, Carrie, Firestarter, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Scanners, Trancers. Bikers, hippies, occultists, and witches straight out of The Wicker Man or Rosemary's Baby. No cell phones, but muscle cars and pay phones. Probably some alien invaders from space and other dimensions. Some kung fu drama, all that good stuff. Because it's me, I'd draw from a lot of random horror movies. The balance would change somewhat because of the lack of common medium-to-heavy armor, but a leather motorcycle jacket is a decent substitute for leather armor. Not quite realistic in terms of it slowing down bullets, but whatever, I'd let it pass.

I've been kicking around some ideas about an IQ-affecting equivalent of Fatigue for horror/sanity damage, but I actually dislike the way Call of Cthulhu does things, so I'd want to make sure it doesn't resemble that in any way.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
Todd Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Todd,
That sounds really interesting. Are the players spending all the time in the Dreamlands, or is it a dual campaign where they have real lives and dream lives?

Warm regards, Rick.
Hey Rick,

My intention is for the players to be denizens of the Dreamlands. My plan is to have some gates that will lead to the waking world, in the Enchanted Woods (when you say the proper phrase an archway will appear with the steps of deeper slumber leading up to the waking world), the Plateau of Leng and somewhere in the Underworld. My players won't know this but I plan to have some folks from the waking world visiting the Dreamlands.

I am excited to start this game, probably the second week of September. I just love the Dreamlands and have wanted to run this campaign for a while. I can't wait to npc some of the cats from Ulthar. I may use my own cat as a prop for that.

Cheers,
Todd
Todd Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Todd Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
This is going to sound bug wild, but

My dream campaign to run would be a sort of 70s-era dark urban fantasy/psychic horror deal. Draw from stuff like Phenomenon, Carrie, Firestarter, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Scanners, Trancers. Bikers, hippies, occultists, and witches straight out of The Wicker Man or Rosemary's Baby. No cell phones, but muscle cars and pay phones. Probably some alien invaders from space and other dimensions. Some kung fu drama, all that good stuff. Because it's me, I'd draw from a lot of random horror movies. The balance would change somewhat because of the lack of common medium-to-heavy armor, but a leather motorcycle jacket is a decent substitute for leather armor. Not quite realistic in terms of it slowing down bullets, but whatever, I'd let it pass.

I've been kicking around some ideas about an IQ-affecting equivalent of Fatigue for horror/sanity damage, but I actually dislike the way Call of Cthulhu does things, so I'd want to make sure it doesn't resemble that in any way.
Oh.. that sounds so incredibly cool! Might I suggest looking at the film The Legend of Hell House as well? Maybe Kolchak: The Night Stalker or The Norliss Tapes. Now I want to run a game like this as well.

Cheers,
Todd
Old 08-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #15
Todd Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post

And I agree with Todd - a high fantasy/swords & sorcery campaign in the Dreamlands would rock. At one point, I was running a similar idea through my head - the player characters wake up with no memory of who they are, at the 70 steps of light slumber.... and are pursued by un-nameable foes.... The basic premise is that they were assassinated, and the campaign takes place in the last moments of their life. Over the course of the campaign, they gain clues to this, and can look for ways to either stay in the Dreamlands or return to life to gain revenge.

I figured my players wouldn't enjoy the plot twist, so I never really pursued it.
That is a very interesting idea. I agree that you would need the right type of players for the game as some might be miffed if they were expecting a traditional fantasy game setting.

Come to think of it, would you mind if I ripped that idea off? It may just work for one of the characters a player has pitched to me.

Cheers,
Todd
Old 08-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roll View Post
Oh.. that sounds so incredibly cool! Might I suggest looking at the film The Legend of Hell House as well? Maybe Kolchak: The Night Stalker or The Norliss Tapes. Now I want to run a game like this as well.

Cheers,
Todd
I've seen Hell House. Night Stalker I haven't. Norliss Tapes I've never heard of.

I'm really looking at Mandy, but it isn't out yet.

(Seriously, everyone should look at the trailer for Mandy. It looks to be an extremely gamer movie.)
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

I liked the suggestion that someone made of updating Orcslayer to TFT.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...ssic-orcslayer
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #18
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I liked the suggestion that someone made of updating Orcslayer to TFT.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...ssic-orcslayer
Converting Orcslayer for TFT was discussed HERE. I feel this would be an important part of the TFT Canon, as beyond Orcslayer's merits as an adventure, is it's larger value as an *Instruction Manual and Methodology* for creating interesting and dynamic adventures - *especially* for the new TFT GM, who does not have decades of adventure design theory and philosophy behind them; and as a bonus, would enter the Caustigus (one of my favorite SJ creations) into the canon of TFT creatures.

I hope the team will give the merits of converting Orcslayer to TFT the serious consideration it deserves; as I only wish we had something like Orcslayer for TFT back in 1980 to learn cohesive adventure design from.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-16-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roll View Post
That is a very interesting idea. I agree that you would need the right type of players for the game as some might be miffed if they were expecting a traditional fantasy game setting.

Come to think of it, would you mind if I ripped that idea off? It may just work for one of the characters a player has pitched to me.

Cheers,
Todd
Go for it!
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #20
ColinK

HARN -- gorgeous hex-based maps, lots of ENCYCLOPEDIA HARNICA and other background material. Plenty of adventure hooks to develop into full campaigns. My brothers and I had fun using TFT with this for a few years, back in the day.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote