Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #11
jackcelso

Default Re: Games that should NEVER Be done in Gurps

Any high powered games... doesnt work well in gurps. The character design became too complex.

No dragon ball, no naruto, no cosmic character from DC or MArvel, no one punch man e etc
jackcelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:57 AM   #12
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
GURPS: Advanced Squad Leader
... is that "should" or "could" not be done in GURPS though? I mean, it's hard enough to do it in Advanced Squad Leader...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:26 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Playing ASL scenarios in GURPS is certainly doable, although time consuming.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #14
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcelso View Post
Any high powered games... doesnt work well in gurps. The character design became too complex.

No dragon ball, no naruto, no cosmic character from DC or MArvel, no one punch man e etc
But medium power ones like minor gods seemed to work well enough.

My previous campaign went up to about 5500 points from the starting 100 and the only thing in GURPS that broke seriously was the magic system.

The story was one of starting heroes to minor gods over 410 sessions, each about 8-10 hours in 9+ years.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Bd the only thing in GURPS that broke seriously was the magic system.

The only thing I have actually seen break in 4e games is the Ally rules.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #16
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcelso View Post

Unless "too complex" means "have ridiculous points" GURPS Powers and Supers can handle some high powered games.

Dragon Ball is an RPG nightmare because it has variable power syndrome more than insane power levels.

Unless the comic revolves around them (such as Silver Surfer or Gaiman's The Sandman) DC/Marvel Cosmic characters are rarely used in the comics themselves.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:38 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post

Dragon Ball is an RPG nightmare because it has variable power syndrome more than insane power levels.

Power levels wil appear to be variable due to the many times users are fighting only for "training", "warming up to get to their _real_ power level" or just smashing mountains for fun.

The real headache would probably be the constantly _escalating_ power levels due to all that training and spending CP for permanent advancement during fights.

In Gurps or any other system you'd need a "level" with graduations suhc a s"Super-Saiyan 1/2/3" "Super-Saiyan God(red)" and "Super-Saiyan Blue, Silver and Autonomous Ultra-instinct".

After that comes noting diversions like"Super-Saiyan Green (Berzerker)".

I seriously doubt DBZ would be any simpler in a non-Gurps system.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #18
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I seriously doubt DBZ would be any simpler in a non-Gurps system.
Generally speaking, the way to handle overly-complex powers simply is the same as for gear - have the stuff just work the way it does, without trying to build it, and if there needs to be some sort of "price" (meeting prerequisites, spending character-building resources like points in GURPS or Feats in That Other Game, etc), you just have the GM/author guess at what's appropriate and set it by fiat (perhaps adjusting it later if you find in play that you've misestimated it). A game that was designed to handle DBZ would probably have to do something like that to work without being a headache... but in theory you could certainly do the same thing with GURPS. The same would be true if trying to adapt the Worm web serial (and its sequel, Ward) into an RPG.

Of course, I think it's mostly the Saiyans that are the big problem with trying to handle Dragon Ball (Namekians that can create Dragon Balls are similarly a problem, but those should generally be NPC's). Worse than them having a large number of escalating Alternate Forms (the various levels of Super Saiyan, plus their Oozaru form off to the side) is the zenkai ability, which in GURPS terms gives them additional permanent character points every time they get close to death and survive (probably "pass a death check," although a case could potentially be made for "fail a death check by 1 or 2, but recover from the resulting Mortal Wound"). A trait that makes you gain character points at an increased rate is by definition unbalanced. Of course, that's also a series where the characters get a lot of points in rather short periods of time, but the players apparently reserve a lot to spend later when dramatically appropriate. Or maybe it would be appropriate to allow characters to go into point-debt to get boosts during dramatically-appropriate moments?
Old 07-14-2022, 12:23 PM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Unless "too complex" means "have ridiculous points" GURPS Powers and Supers can handle some high powered games.

Unless the comic revolves around them (such as Silver Surfer or Gaiman's The Sandman) DC/Marvel Cosmic characters are rarely used in the comics themselves.
Thats my feeling. I have read The Sandman but the Silver Surfer is actually not that complicated to build in GURPS, just very high CP. Reality shapers can be complicated and tough to build but most others? Not usually that hard.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #20
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Of course, that's also a series where the characters get a lot of points in rather short periods of time, but the players apparently reserve a lot to spend later when dramatically appropriate. Or maybe it would be appropriate to allow characters to go into point-debt to get boosts during dramatically-appropriate moments?
Possibly traits that come from "nowhere" should be rationalized as something the character has acquired but not revealed yet. It feels in-genre for a shounen hero to bust out a new move and then say they had "off-screen" training. (Note: This isn't the same as being allowed to ret-con "points from training" as it exists in the GURPS rules. This is simply a genre convention that says that any character trait bought during "adventure time" was actually there in some fashion before that moment and was simply not being used.)

Tags
adaptions, meta