Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #21
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#52): Extra Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post
The number one rule is always: one attack per limb. So, even if you can mix extra attack with DWA, you can't because with either extra attack or DWA you have already used that particular limb.
Fair enough, you're right about that. Extra Attack would need the Multistrike enhancement to let you make multiple attacks with one gun. Fortunately, Multistrike as an enhancement is the same value as Single Skill is a limitation, so you can take both for the ability to fire another attack with the same gun, as long as you're using a specific Gun skill.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #22
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Semi-automatic firearms actually have a much higher mechanical cyclic rate than 3 per second. The RoF 3 is a limitation based on how fast most normal people can pull a trigger and still be firing somewhat accurately.

The Fast-Firing technique is training in firing semi-automatic firearms faster than their RoF 3. You can fire at any RoF from ROF 4-9, but faster than RoF 6 is usually counterproductive even if you have training in the technique.

The technique is in GURPS High-Tech, but that version is too harshly penalised to reflect reality and after some further research, an updated version of the technique appeared in GURPS Tactical Shooting.

I have a character in an ongoing campaign who has Extra Attack (Multistrike); Fast-Firing at full skill and Quick-Shot at full skill. He also has sense-based superpowers from Enhanced Senses, among the ability to have his eyes function as targeting sensors with rangefinding, which he can use while taking another action (complicated build, based on buying modifiers to base Senses), and Enhanced Tracking (Multiple Lock-ons).

At CQC ranges, Chase Taylor can get a flash sight picture and engage three targets in one second with quick double taps to center mass, RoF 6, and never miss once except on critical failures. If he slows down to two targets per second, he can put a controlled pair or three shots rapid into the head of them both at any range up to, more or less, the mechanical accuracy of the weapon.

So, his Extra Attack is, as yet, only useful at short ranges and hand-to-hand, but he certainly uses it with his Guns skill. And when he upgrades his Enhanced Tracking, he can engage up to three targets with aimed fire per turn.

When he doesn't have this many targets, he'll just fire controlled pairs until the target is down. Two controlled pairs to the pelvis, one controlled pair to the head. Better than just a single attack at RoF 6, because this way, you don't have to succeed by 10+ so that all of your rounds hit precisely where you aimed them.
So, rof is not the mechanical limit? I can get it.. I mean, most semi automatic weapons could fire more than 3 shots.. But I treated rof as a "rule" to balance fire weapons..
Anyway, fast firing is a very useful tech no know, and your build is pretty legit! I mean, you can reach, what? 12 shots per round? With extra attack you can divide shots between 3 people.. 4 bullets per person.. Well, is that a super o cyber campaign, if you Don t mind my curiosity.
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Well, is that a super o cyber campaign, if you Don t mind my curiosity.
I believe it's a "Batman" level Supers game.

Chase Taylor is clearly a superior athlete, super soldier, and The Sentinel all wrapped up in one.

This is Icelander's game write up.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #24
Icelander

Quote:
So, rof is not the mechanical limit? I can get it.. I mean, most semi automatic weapons could fire more than 3 shots.. But I treated rof as a "rule" to balance fire weapons..
Anyway, fast firing is a very useful tech no know, and your build is pretty legit! I mean, you can reach, what? 12 shots per round? With extra attack you can divide shots between 3 people.. 4 bullets per person.. Well, is that a super o cyber campaign, if you Don t mind my curiosity.
As far as I know, Extra Attack, even with the Multistrike enhancement, doesn't change RoF. So he's limited to the maximum effects from Fast-Firing, which is RoF 9. More than RoF 5-6, though, and even if you have the Fast-Firing technique at full skill, some extra penalties kick in that will usually give you more penalties than any possible benefit.

That kind of rapid fire is only useful for trying to make your pistol emulate a machine gun and laying down suppressive fire, which neatly fits reality, as Fairbairn and Applegate taught fast-firing to WWII commandos for precisely that reason.

---

Jade Serenity

Our campaign, Jade Serenity, actually has written recaps on these forums, not to mention a lot of other threads about it. It's about emerging supers in a world otherwise indistinguishable from ours in February 2017 (when we started playing).

Everyone who has begun to exhibit extraordinary gifts, such as enhanced strength, health, learning ability, coordination, senses or stranger things, has some connection with Project Jade Serenity, an experiment in 1998-2000 with various nootropic and performance-enhancing drugs on volunteers from the United States Army Special Forces, candidates going through Special Forces Qualifying Course and airborne-qualified SOF support personnel, or several smaller research projects that pre-date it.

Project Jade Serenity was badly administered and the trial protocols were a mess. Multiple trials were ongoing at the same time and personnel participated in more than one, with no way to account for drug interaction, and a lot of people got their hands on various chemicals without being in the right test group. Either someone was running a scam or he had deeper reasons to want the experimental data given to the Army to be unusable and uninformative.

After a shocking, but appparently mundane scandal where a soldier who had apparently been caught with recreational chemicals smuggled on base had his court martial delayed in order to finish the current round of testing and ended up escaping, with some deaths occuring during the escape, Project Jade Serenity was shut down.

Both officially and unofficially, as far as anyone apparently knew, it had been an embarrassing failure. Some people lost their jobs. Two people federal employees even got suspended jail sentences for improper filing of paperwork, which everyone knew meant they were the ones who took the fall for a lot of stolen or missing supplies, like a lot of the test drugs.

Dr. Edward Vanderbert, the lead doctor on the Project and the consultant who had sold the Pentagon on testing his nootropic drugs, mysteriously disappeared. No one looked too hard, as those who really knew how badly he's swindled Uncle Sam also tended to have been, at the very least, guilty of astonishing naivety and poor oversight.

So a lot of things were swept under the rug, as much as possible, not to hide a conspiracy, but embarrassing incompetence. The murders and desertion were investigated as murders and desertion, but no one told the CID officers all that much about the Project itself, and no one wanted to catch the escapees, because a trial would have washed a lot of dirty laundry in public.

If the former test subjects hadn't mostly remained in rude health, peak physical condition and demonstrated consistently excellent performance in the course of their military duties, probably nothing more would have happened. But by 2009 or so, the former test subjects could hardly avoid whispering among themselves how all of them were just getting better and better at their physically demanding profession of Green Berets, instead of slowing down slightly and picking up more aches and pains with every year, like their fellow soldiers from other units.

And over time, the changes have grown beyond subtle health benefits and little by little, the former test subjects find themselves becoming some sort of supersoldiers. Some of them experience changes way beyond what any theory of biology or even physics seems able to explain.

It was inevitable that some of those who knew about that old, failed project would start to connect the dots. The original goal of Project Jade Serenity had been to make better soldiers, who'd learn faster, retain critical skills longer and have better situational awareness. These Green Berets are all of that... and more. Also, stronger, faster, smarter, tougher and seemingly immune to the detrimental effects of growing older, at least into their sixties, for the oldest of them. And there are those few exceptional individuals with even more dramatic abilities...

The focus of the campaign is the secretive Joint Task Force (JTF) Onyx Rain, a joint DoD/Homeland Security effort to investigate, contain and handle the fallout of Project Jade Serenity. It may or may not be properly authorised by Congress and/or the President (prior or current), which means it may or may not be an illegal and unconstitutional conspiracy.

Two PCs (mine included) are former test subjects, one is a doctor who worked on Project Jade Serenity and one is a federal employee of Onyx Rain (who is secretly the son of a former test subject). They all work for Onyx Rain, with varying degrees of choice and willingness involved.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-13-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
GodBeastX

I'm curious what the cost of "Increased Time Rate (Attacks Only)" would be :)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I'm curious what the cost of "Increased Time Rate (Attacks Only)" would be :)
Probably about [80]. That's most of what altered time rate is for already.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:19 AM   #27
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I believe it's a "Batman" level Supers game.

Chase Taylor is clearly a superior athlete, super soldier, and The Sentinel all wrapped up in one.

This is Icelander's game write up.
Heh.

I'd literally never heard of the Canadian TV show 'The Sentinel' before. Amusingly, the main character there seems to be a US Army Ranger who worked with 7th SFG (A) on a covert operation in South America (Peru). Chase Taylor, before Project Jade Serenity, was a US Army Ranger who worked with 7th SFG (A) on a covert operation in South America (Colombia).

When his former platoon leader and the current XO of his company decided to volunteer for some special version of Special Forces Assessment and Selection, Chase volunteered as well. He idolised the officer, as an older, wiser brother or maybe even a father figure. Hence, Project Jade Serenity, where they went through a modified version of the Special Forces Qualifying Course while taking a variety of nootropics and performance enhancing drugs.

But, yeah, Chase Taylor's power seems to match the Wikipedia description of the Sentinel. Enhanced Senses, all five, to a ridiculous degree. All Discriminitory Senses (Sensitive Touch is the equivalent for touch and the targeting sensor eyes for vision), Per 20.

Aside from that, he's actually within realistic human norms.

Well, Tom Brady human norms for continuing to perform at a top level as he approaches forty, Olympic gymnast human norms for his strength for his size, agility and physical coordination, top NFL pass-rushing outside linemen* human norms for aggression, reaction speeds and tackling ability, top MMA fighters for his Bando and combatives work, and top CAG or DEVGRU snipers and assaulters for fieldcraft, sharpshooting, MOUT, QCC, dynamic entry and pretty much all commando skills.

So... I guess that being at the extreme end of the human norm at a very wide range of adventuring useful endeavours might constitute, to some people, as being functionally outside the human norm. :-)

*Though as he weighs only about 50% of a real OLB, he couldn't make a team anywhere. Doesn't matter how fast you react if your best solid hit can't bring Jason Kelce, Dave DeCastro, Alex Mack or Brandon Brooks down or even push them backwards, except on a stroke of luck (critical hit).
Old 06-08-2018, 04:28 AM   #28
gudmo

I've been reading up on this advantage and keep trying to warap my head around one basic principle.

As this is an "Extra" attack, can it only be used as a followup of normal attack?

i.e. If you Choose to fast draw a potion and quaff it on your normal turn can you use Extra Attack?

Or do you have to use some form of an Attack maneuver on your "normal" turn to trigger an "extra" attack?

The main reason for the question is the use of Move and Attack in contrast with a Move and then Extra Attack

So is it a "legal" action to use a Move maneuver and then use the Extra Attack to attack thereby bypassing all the penalties of a Move and Attack maneuver.

Last edited by gudmo; 06-08-2018 at 04:51 AM.
gudmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:17 AM   #29
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Probably about [80]. That's most of what altered time rate is for already.
What, the All-Out-Attack, All-Out-Defense, and Move are peanuts? I see those used heavily.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #30
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The technique is in GURPS High-Tech, but that version is too harshly penalised to reflect reality and after some further research, an updated version of the technique appeared in GURPS Tactical Shooting.
Actually, the Tactical Shooting version in some ways penalises the shooter more, in other ways less. It doesn't have the size of Recoil penalty that HT gave the higher rates of fire, but it has a skill penalty that ramps up higher and most of it can't be bought off. The HT version is kinder to the less skilled, the TS version more generous to the very skilled.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 06-08-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, extra attack, week, [basic]