Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Inuyasha

Default Gurps 3rd edition help, Monsters...how to make them?

I have a question, so...technically I've never actually played GURPS, I got some 3rd edition books and I'm trying to learn them and I've got a question. How does one make monsters? Do you just throw together some stats and call it good, or do you build it point by point like a character and just judge it's strength by how many points you use. If someone could help me with this that'd be great, and I'm sorry if my message isn't being typed clearly.
Inuyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Gurps 3rd edition help, Monsters...how to make them?

You generally just decide on stats, without doing a full design with character points. This is because GURPS point totals aren't especially related to combat strength. NPCs with full personalities and sets of skills may well be worth a full design.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post
Do you just throw together some stats and call it good
That's what I do, although...

Quote:
or do you build it point by point like a character
...some people do this. It can be a useful exercise to help you get comfortable with GURPS rules.

Quote:
judge it's strength by how many points you use.
No. Definitely not. Points do not equal power. They represent flexibility and scope of choice in character design, but in GURPS, these do not equal combat effectiveness. The classical example is the combat-ineffective 200-point accountant vs. the 25-point thug with an AK against whom he doesn't stand a chance.

Designing monsters is an art rather than a science. You can construct them with particular strengths (say, DR high enough to shrug off most of the attacks you know your PCs can throw at them) and weaknesses (a particularly low stat or exploitable disadvantage), but since GURPS gives such scope for potential combat settings, tactics, and non-combat ways of circumventing formidable opponents, it's difficult to know how any given monster will fare in a fight.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Inuyasha

Thank you so much for the help! I'm so glad I finally have an answer to the thing that's been nagging me!
Inuyasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, monsters