Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
munchkinvince

Default Question about the magician abilities

Hi, it is said that you can discard your entire hand to "charm" a monster. Charming a monster means that you put it to graveyard, you take the tresors but you do not gain the levels.

Here are my questions : Someone need help to kill a monster and ask me if i want to ally. I say Yes but i want 1 tresor on 4 if we kill it. He says yes. Nobody else do an action.

I decide to charm the monster.

1- Does that mean the my ally does not win the levels?
2- Does that mean that i collect all tresors ?

thanks !
Old 08-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Teddy

Default Re: Question about the magician abilities

1. No one receives levels

2. You agreed to help for one treasure, so you would get one and he would get three.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
munchkinvince

thanks ! make sens and seems just!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
MegaMun

Quote:
I say Yes but i want 1 tresor on 4 if we kill it
You did not. You did not kill it. "Charming" is not a killing.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMun View Post
You did not. You did not kill it. "Charming" is not a killing.
What, exactly, is the point of this statement? You give no explanation as to how this changes things. The Monster was defeated, Treasures were rewarded, the players distribute them as per the original agreement.
MiB #1029
Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
munchkinvince

My point in this statement was all about the tresors. If you read well what the charming ability says, it saus "dicards the monster and take his tresor". Since rules of cards prevail on those from the game, i thought that i could get all the monster's tresors (agreement or not) if i was to charming it while helping someone in a fight.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
munchkinvince

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
What, exactly, is the point of this statement? You give no explanation as to how this changes things. The Monster was defeated, Treasures were rewarded, the players distribute them as per the original agreement.
Wrong. The monster is not defeated, it is discarded. Because if it had to be defeated, levels would be rewarded.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinvince View Post
Wrong. The monster is not defeated, it is discarded. Because if it had to be defeated, levels would be rewarded.
Hmmmmm. I'm not wrong. I want you to read this section of the FAQ I wrote about 5 years ago:
Important Note #3: "Defeated" versus "Killed" versus "Lost"
For the purposes of the game, "defeating" a monster involves beating it in combat or removing it from play in such a way that you do not have to Run Away. This means that if a Wizard casts a charm spell, or a munchkin uses a Pollymorph Potion, or something else happens that ends a fight without the munchkins Running Away, the monster is defeated. "Killed" means that you defeated the monster with your Level and bonuses in combat, or used some card or special ability that specifically states that it kills the monster. For this, you get levels and Treasure (since you did defeat it, you know). Some Monsters say that they can be defeated immediately, based on circumstances. Unless the card says otherwise, this usually means an instant kill of the Monster, so you would get levels and Treasure in those situations, too.

However, even in a case where a single monster is instantly defeated, other players get a chance to play Wandering Monster to add a new foe that you must defeat before claiming the spoils.

"Lost" means that you are just not buff enough and you gotta Run Away like a little chicken.
MiB #1029
Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinvince View Post
My point in this statement was all about the tresors. If you read well what the charming ability says, it saus "dicards the monster and take his tresor". Since rules of cards prevail on those from the game, i thought that i could get all the monster's tresors (agreement or not) if i was to charming it while helping someone in a fight.
Again from the FAQ:
Q. If a Wizard is helping in a combat and charms a monster, does he get the Treasure from that monster?

A. The Treasures gained from a charmed monster are no different from Treasures from a monster that is killed, so the Treasures (drawn after the combat is over and all remaining monsters, if any, are defeated) are distributed according to the final agreement that the wizard negotiated for his help in the first place.
MiB #1029
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
ComBAT

You are also welcome to renegotiate your reward for helping during the combat.
You could tell the munchkin you are helping "I can charm this monster, but because I lose my entire hand, I want all of it's treasure." If he refuses, then you can either run away(of course if that player chooses to run), or find another means to end the combat in a way so you don't receive the "Bad Stuff".

Of course before combat, you can have more conditions associated with your reward for helping him. "Kill" vs "Defeating Only" vs "Running Away".
Closed Thread

Tags
charm, magician"charm, wizard