Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default [DF] Impossible Template options

One thing I've noticed when making DF characters in GCA (and it's inflexible approach to templates) is that it sometimes seems impossible to take certain template options. [I had an example here, but it was wrong/ I'll look for a better one]. Is this intentional or an artifact of the software being much more literal than the templates were actually intended to be?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: [DF] Impossible Template options

A combination of both. If you can point out specific examples I'd be happy to look into it.

Quite a few of the templates, not just in DF but in other books, say things like "take 20 points in THESE advantages" then list off about two dozen advantages, at least one of which actually costs more than 20 points - making it impossible to actually take that advantage with the points set aside. This is actually a problem with the template in the book, not GCA. In GCA, sometimes those impossible advantages are removed from the list, sometimes they're not. Depends on whether they're noticed when coding the template. Another, related issue, is that some groupings of advantages or disadvantages include traits that, mathematically, are difficult or impossible to take with the allocated points. You may need to apply modifiers to some of the traits to make it possible to pick other traits from the list. e.g. including a couple Quirks in a disadvantage list that, at first glance, doesn't have any room for -1 point disadvantages to be taken; but if you take a different Self-Control number on one disadvantages you are suddenly able to take the Quirks.

Other times the templates say things like "Take 20 points in THESE, take 20 points in THOSE, any leftover points from THESE can be used in THOSE." Which makes it extremely hard to code the template into GCA, and can easily be done incorrectly.

And of course there are times when whomever coded a template into GCA just plain does it wrong, listing an incorrect amount of points (say, 20 when it should have been 30) or make some other faux pas.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 01-15-2010 at 08:35 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote