Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #21
Celjabba

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#39): Daredevil, Luck, Super Luck

A few Kromm quotes on the subject of Luck and Superluck :

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=53184

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=37

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...63&postcount=3
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Here, a couple of quotes:
Yeah, I thought that infinite-rerolls thing was a bit much.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #23
Otaku

Thanks to all those providing citations for posts and/or threads. I'll try to add them into the initial post when I can.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 04-10-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Found page reference in another thread.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Errata retconning the book would appear necessary since RAW the retooling of crit failures on Daredevil is something I had always taking as terminating when you either succeeded or got a normal failure.
This was incorrect. You are fairly consistently misreading GURPS rules. You're trying to interpret them as being written to be immune to perverse interpretation. They aren't. GURPS is a Rule Zero game: there is an assumption that there is a GM with sense, and the power to overrule misinterpretations.
Quote:
Even with a single reroll... It still seems like Total Klutz has the advantage of letting you reroll a normal failure too.

On the downside... If your second roll is a normal failure it becomes a critical fail and if you can't reroll that it would be trouble.
Total Klutz is a fifteen point disadvantage. Those are supposed to be significant problems for characters who have them.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #25
Michael Cule

I have one player who won't play GURPS unless his character can have the Luck advantage.

Mind you he likes to play Overconfident and Impulsive characters so perhaps he's justified.

I'm currently in an Internet game (play by webcam) where my character is Overconfident and I naturally gave him Luck. Not had to use it more than once... Perhaps Daredevil would have been better...

(And yes, John and Roger, I know I've been the most Cautious Overconfident character you've ever seen....)
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #26
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
  • Have you ever taken any of these traits for one of your PCs or NPCs? How'd it go?
  • Is there anything these trait do really well?
I almost always take Luck. It keeps PCs alive. I think it is like Combat Reflexes in a way - it's a deliberate bargain because it facilitates better games.

Daredevil is similar but of more limited use. It keeps crazy PCs in the action long enough to be Awesome for a while before the odds of Daredeviling around eventually catch up with them. Taking Luck too can help with this, ofc.

Ms Claus, my sphynx catgirl in Parajs' Planet Australia game (Basically Max Max Fury Road with more orbital bombardment and bioroids) had Daredevil and Luck (+ Overconfidence and Impulsive and a base dodge of 14). She survived 10 or so sessions but there were multiple occasions where the Luck and/or Daredevil saved her hairless pseudokitty tush from a grisly fate.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #27
Otaku

I ought to have included this in the original post, but what things cannot be affected by Daredevil, Luck, and Super Luck? I think I recall reading something about it in the rules for inventing and/or enchanting. for example. Stuff like the Critical Hit tables, Reaction Rolls, etc. seem like they may or may not allow "Luck" to do its thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I almost always take Luck. It keeps PCs alive. I think it is like Combat Reflexes in a way - it's a deliberate bargain because it facilitates better games.
Thanks for sharing, especially because I agree. XD

Seriously though, even though I'm using your comment to inject my own opinion on these three traits now that we are over two pages into the discussion, that is a lot easier when I have another example. Sometimes my experience with GURPS runs 180º counter to what I read on the boards. ;)

I think Luck is, if not the bargain of Combat Reflexes, a good trait to take for most characters. Mechanically, it is one of the traits (like Combat Reflexes), you might as well just give your PCs unless it flies in the face of the setting. It is one part safety net, one part "epic moment" facilitator. It even feels kind of right (for want of a better word) that what is mostly there as a safety net can be given up to instead create spectacular moments, like trying for that needed crit/max damage/etc.

Yet I've often left it off to take something else that I thought was important to the character. In hindsight, my old group probably should have discussed just making Luck a freebie, because the GM would often fudge things anyway when the dice weren't cooperating; no one wanted the game to be bogged down because a series of rolls went bad.

Daredevil, I've no experience with, as I don't think I ever played that reckless of a character. I am pretty sure I've run at least one character with Super Luck, and I thought it was worth the CP. Not worth more, though; while it will often end up used for something like guaranteeing maximum damage or a crit (success or failure, as applicable), it really can give a "choose your own adventure" vibe (in the good way) to a campaign. That plausible but unlikely Skill check can open up a new world (sometimes literally) for the players.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #28
whswhs

Quote:
I think Luck is, if not the bargain of Combat Reflexes, a good trait to take for most characters. Mechanically, it is one of the traits (like Combat Reflexes), you might as well just give your PCs unless it flies in the face of the setting.
That would be pretty much any setting I would want to run, as a rule.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #29
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What would?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #30
Otaku

Quote:
I think Luck is, if not the bargain of Combat Reflexes, a good trait to take for most characters. Mechanically, it is one of the traits (like Combat Reflexes), you might as well just give your PCs unless it flies in the face of the setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What would?
Yeah, I am a bit confused as well, but that might be because I forgot to specify I was speaking only of the base version of Luck for 15 points, probably versions with only Limitations tacked on as well. I also don't recall the kinds of settings that whswhs runs. So whswhs, were you trying to state you feel some (or all) forms of Luck inappropriate to the settings you favor, or actually quite appropriate?

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, daredevil, luck, super luck, [basic]