Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default Witchcraft and Swashbuckling

How much overlap is there between the hsitories of the European witch hunts and the period in Swashbucklers? Also how could they be combined in a campaign?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
panton41

Default Re: Witchcraft and Swashbuckling

Witch-hunts were from antiquity to modern day, but famously from the Medieval Era to the 17th Century, and "Swashbuckling" was coined in the 16th century, so it's safe to assume overlap.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
sieurin

The "Great Witch Hunt" (which, to quote Ken Hite "never really happened") was between early 15th and late 18th century. Same period as Swashbucklers. The only swashbuckling novel I can remember where it is an issue is the Swedish Freebooter on the Baltic by Viktor Rydberg, in which the mysterious hero also is an alchemist and which has a sideplot with a fanatical Lutheran priest killing people for imagined witchcraft when they are really just people who knows some medicine, y'know standard plot A. But Rydberg hat some major hate for established religion...

However, its the same historical period and involves the same peoples. Should work with no problems, as they said on Rescue Rangers...

Erik
sieurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
Gudiomen

Interesting, I never read anything that combined the two, although the period does overlap.

My guess is that this was mainly a continental phenomenon. People in the islands and sailing about probably had bigger concerns than this sort of neighbor bickering and finger pointing. There were real enemies to demonize, practical problems like raids, pirates, war... on the face of overwhelming odds people tend to group together.

I guess there probably was the occasional witch burning, but matters like this in the islands were probably dealt with swiftly... rather than turn into a finger-pointing campaign amongst common folk.

There was also less agricultural farm life. More trading. More slaves...

My guess is that this was much less of a factor, although probably present at some minor level.

That said, there probably were a few noteworthy cases that could very well be the material for a campaign that combined these elements.

EDIT: sailors were also VERY superstitious, so they probably were accustomed to a high degree of unorthodox beliefs.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
sieurin

Mind you, not all Swashbuckling stories concern pirates...

Erik
Old 02-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieurin View Post
Mind you, not all Swashbuckling stories concern pirates...
Not pirates, but they involve a lot of sailing, trading, life in the islands of the shore, etc...
The exceptions are the "musketeer" style campaigns. Which is just fencing+politics.

You have a point, but I guess I was working on the fact that the OP had just opened a thread asking about how to crew a ship. So I assumed sailing was involved.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieurin View Post
The "Great Witch Hunt" (which, to quote Ken Hite "never really happened") was between early 15th and late 18th century. Same period as Swashbucklers.
In Sweden, more people were executed for bestiality than for witchcraft.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
sieurin

Not pirates, but they involve a lot of sailing, trading, life in the islands of the shore, etc...

Erh... not, not neccesarily. That's like saying all fantasy campaigns assumes the characters are barbarians, just because Conan and his knockoffs, and ignoring Tolkien, Leiber and Le Guin.

Not just the musketeers, but Scaramouche has no sailing/trading/piracy. Neither has Zorro/The Curse of Capistrano. Neither has The Count of Monte Christo. Neither has Eroll Flynn-esque Robin Hood stories, which inflenced the whole fencing thing. Neither has the Scarlet Pimpernel, the stories of Dick Turpin and other heroic highwaymen... I could go on.

Erik
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Dangerious P. Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
In Sweden, more people were executed for bestiality than for witchcraft.
Forgive my ignorence but is Sweeden traditionally Catholic or Protostant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
The exceptions are the "musketeer" style campaigns. Which is just fencing+politics.

You have a point, but I guess I was working on the fact that the OP had just opened a thread asking about how to crew a ship. So I assumed sailing was involved.
All those witches in Salem must have got to the New World somehow...
Old 02-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
sieurin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
Forgive my ignorence but is Sweeden traditionally Catholic or Protostant?
Very very Lutheran since the time of the Reformation. Note that there was no greater tendency for Catholics to start witch hunts; that is a myth.

Erik

Tags
kittens, pirate, swashbuckler, witch, witchcraft