Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
Luke Bunyip

Default [AtE] Early days, and vehicle wrecks

Thinking about plot related encounters for an [AtE] game, set just after the organic fertiliser hits the climate control systems.

Namely, a vehicle full of PCs encountering a bunch of scavengers harvesting parts off an abandoned electric vehicle.

Question: What vehicle components are they after primarily? Why?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [AtE] Early days, and vehicle wrecks

At the very least, tires will wear out rather quickly.

Brake fluid and Brakes look like something electric cars go through quickly.

The Tesla, at least, has two sets of batteries, one of which is a traditional car battery, and THAT ironically enough wears out a lot more often than the primary batteries.

Battery coolant pumps (and presumably coolant as well).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 01-21-2020 at 09:48 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Michele

Cables, wires and useful metals. Electronic parts and advanced geegaws probably are worth nearly nothing now, but simple, basic electricity still has a chance to be useful. You need to rewire things, though. Even as of today, copper wire theft is a booming activity.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Cables, wires and useful metals. Electronic parts and advanced geegaws probably are worth nearly nothing now, but simple, basic electricity still has a chance to be useful. You need to rewire things, though. Even as of today, copper wire theft is a booming activity.
Depending on how many electronic parts have survived, they might have a use as a form of jewelry; some of them are quite decorative.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
Daigoro

It could depend on many things. When does the apocalypse happen, and what is it?

For example, the air conditioning might be super valuable in a hot climate apocalypse. The metal panelling might become useful armour or shields in a zombie apocalypse. The capacitors might make neat zap-guns in a Fallout-style apocalypse.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
It could depend on many things. When does the apocalypse happen, and what is it?
Circa 2050, biological and nuclear weaponry used, setting is a regional backwater, and thus not targeted, but affected by the resultant collapse of the economy and polities.

Given my setting is Outback South Australia, it's basically Mad Max I, but without the gasoline.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Depending on how many electronic parts have survived, they might have a use as a form of jewelry; some of them are quite decorative.
I'm running the initial games as a prequel for later aspects of the campaign. Components as jewellery would definitely be a good fit a little further down the track...
Old 01-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Cars actually just conglomerations of some of the best materials and technology humans make. Assuming the engine is shot, the typical passenger car can be scavenged for:
The engine compartment includes electric motors running fans and pumps, as well as things that can be scavenged such as bearings, fan blades, hoses, belts. The radio receiver can be pulled and used separately, of course.
Heavy-duty electric motors run the wiper blades, too.
Metal sheet useful for making everything from tools to arrowheads to bowls, armor, or furniture. Worn-out batteries have several pounds of lead. The car structure or frame can be used to build other heavy structures or dismantled and cannibalized even further. Hubcaps make shields, bowls, plates, etc.
Leaf springs are many pounds worth of weapons-grade steel or the limbs can be used to make a scorpion siege engine.
The headlights make good spotlights, some can make a useful parabolic reflector.
The wiring can be useful for lots of electronic projects, or just as cordage. The typical car has salvageable switches, relays, tec.
Car seats of all different types are perfectly serviceable furniture. If you don't need a seat, the upholstery can be removed for clothing, packs, shoes, etc. Same thing with the carpet and headliner. Seats also contain padding for packs and harnesses.
Intact Car windows can be removed for use in structures, or chipped out into primitive blades or spear points. Seat belts are made of high strength nylon, which has dozens of uses, and the buckles can be used for a number of projects.
Cars, of course, contain flammable fluids (and lubricants), and most have some small receptacles of detergent.
Cars contain many pounds of fasteners of all different types.
Rubber gaskets can be used for many different purposes, even if just melted as a glue or used as a fire starter. The car jack has an obvious use, and the tire iron makes a good pry bar or club, but can be heated up and pounded to a point, and sharpened as a crude knife or short sword.
There are loads of other things in a car, like mirrors (for signaling) and electric bulbs and LEDs, all types of tubing, plastic sheet, hand probably handfuls of coins, paper clips, old chewing gum, paper in the glove box, rubber mats and so forth.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Intact Car windows can be removed for use in structures, or chipped out into primitive blades or spear points.
Aren't all the windows made of safety glass, which just crumbles when damaged?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Aren't all the windows made of safety glass, which just crumbles when damaged?
In modern cars, yes. glass bottles are a better idea for making arrowheads and spearpoints. OTOH, using them to give your new house a window should work fine.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate