Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
armanditoh

Default King Tut and how it works.

So, I‘ve played Munchkin only twice, but I‘m a fan now.
There‘s some things I don‘t get yet, and this is one of them. Last night some friends and I were playing. I was a level 9 Elf Wizard, and suddenly King Tut popped up after I kicked down the door.

My friends read the card, and told me I had to fight him with two levels less because it said “...you lose two levels even if you escape“, and that after the fight, if I DID win, I wouldn‘t win the levels (and the game), I‘d just go back to level 9. They said I‘d just win the 4 treasures and that‘s it.

This made no sense to me. I, with level 9 and combat strenght of 18, was beating the monster, but at level 7 (combat strenght 16) I was only tied up, and it was so unfair!

I finally (after about 10minutes of heated argument) accepted what they were saying and decided to just not fight it. Used Transferral Potion to just give it to someone else who I knew couldn‘t kill him.

Is that really how King Tut works? It‘s so unfair, man...
armanditoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: King Tut and how it works.

You were right.

The FAQ has this to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. King Tut and the Wight Brothers say "Characters of higher Levels [than 3] lose 2 levels, even if they escape." Does that mean you lose two levels even if you defeat those monsters?
A. No. But if you cannot defeat them, then you must try to run away, and you'll lose the 2 levels even if you do escape. If they catch you, of course, you do suffer the Bad Stuff from those Monsters. (But you don't lose the two levels twice!)
So you lose the two levels only if you lose the battle, whether you successfully Run Away or not, also suffering the Bad Stuff if they do catch you (as it doesn't involve level loss, so isn't caught by the parenthesised clause).
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
armanditoh

Damnit. I should have won that game...

Thanks!
armanditoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Vincentheartthrob

Wait Clipper are you saying that if you fail to run away from this type of monster you receive the Level loss and the bad stuff? I always thought it was if you succeed lose the Levels and if you fail the bad stuff happens?
Vincentheartthrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentheartthrob View Post
Wait Clipper are you saying that if you fail to run away from this type of monster you receive the Level loss and the bad stuff? I always thought it was if you succeed lose the Levels and if you fail the bad stuff happens?
Yes, I am saying that, and MunchkinMan has said the same in the past.

The other two monsters in Munchkin with this 'even if you escape' clause are different as their Bad Stuff includes the level loss from escaping. The Wight Brothers reduce you to Level 1, so you can't lose two more anyway and Mr. Bones' Bad Stuff is to lose two levels, but you lose only one if you escape, so the two effects gets merged, as supported by MunchkinMan here.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Vincentheartthrob

Huh, well alright. Seems a bit unintuitive though that when it comes to levels, bad stuff and even if you escape loss don't stack but they do otherwise. If the powers that be want it that way then oh well.
Vincentheartthrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Bampop

It wouldn't really be clearer if the Bad Stuff didn't mention the two levels again. People would try to argue that since you failed to run away, the two levels even if you escape wouldn't count. But I still wouldn't want it to stack. those guys would be huge jerks if they took 4 levels from me.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentheartthrob View Post
Huh, well alright. Seems a bit unintuitive though that when it comes to levels, bad stuff and even if you escape loss don't stack but they do otherwise. If the powers that be want it that way then oh well.
It does seem like there may be an inconsistency, but there's other examples of this type of thing happening, like the Epic Rules. Most Epic feats are something extra you get to your other abilities, but the Halfling's feat and some other feats enhance one of their original abilities instead and in those cases, they replace the original ability. In the same way, the Bad Stuff adds to the even if you escape stuff unless it is simply enhance the even if you escape stuff.

Tags
king tut, kingtut, munchkin, newbie, unfair.