Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #61
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Making a black blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The flaw, if we must have one, is that pun exists in English. Less likely that it's so in Gaelic -- but I don't speak it.

How about Danish? Is the name for "mercury" composed of words for "fast" and "silver"?

My dictionary tells me the English word actually goes back to Old English "cwicu" (alive) and "soelfer", citing a translation from Latin "argentum vivum". Interestingly, this is the sense of "quick" as "alive", as in "the quick and the dead". It'd be a good name for a dancing sword, too.
Yes, the only Danish daily use term is "kviksølv", whereas at best "quicksilver" in English is an archaic term that I imagine few people know (gamers being an exception, of course), with the daily use term being "mercury".
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #62
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
A truly excellent article!

Whiek they didn't mention it they did put the last nail in the Lone Ranger's ammo making coffin.

If it takes 35,000 psi to obturate that BHN 24 soemthing silver you're not getting that in a .45 Long Colt. Max. pressure for that appears to be 14,000 psi. I suspect you can't get to 35,000 with black powder at all.

You're just barely within range for a 9mm x 19 Nato which I recall being at 39,0000 psi. According to Wikipedia 35,000 is exactly the limit for a 40 S&W.

With cast bullets you're probably better off in a revolver anyway. I know people who used to reload cast lead in .45 ACP but I don't know how well it _really_ worked for them.

357 and .44 Magnum have plenty of pressure, over 40,000. Apparently the .500 Magnum is rated for up to 60,000 though msot manufactuers don't load it that hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.500_S%26W_Magnum

Oh well, maybe some time traveller gave the Lone Ranger a .454 Casull and kept him supplied with argentum ammo.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #63
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I know people who used to reload cast lead in .45 ACP but I don't know how well it _really_ worked for them.
Just fine. The vast majority of .45ACP that goes downrange is cast lead.

Consider that Bullseye is the most popular shooting sport in the US and most everyone shoots a 1911 in .45 ACP with lead 185gr SWCs.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #64
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Yes, the only Danish daily use term is "kviksølv", whereas at best "quicksilver" in English is an archaic term that I imagine few people know (gamers being an exception, of course), with the daily use term being "mercury".
"Quicksilver" is neither terribly archaic nor little known in English. It's often listed as the common name for mercury, even in elementary level textbooks. It's often used for its "ooh! ahh!" factor in the classroom. I've not met many people over 18 who don't associate the two terms, Mercury and Quicksilver, as being the same thing.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #65
DanHoward

In the case of mercury the word "quicksilver" uses the other meaning of quick. As mentioned above quick means "alive" not "swift/fast". In another language you should be looking for a translation of "alive silver" not "fast silver".

Last edited by DanHoward; 08-22-2012 at 10:26 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
"Quicksilver" is neither terribly archaic nor little known in English. It's often listed as the common name for mercury, even in elementary level textbooks. It's often used for its "ooh! ahh!" factor in the classroom. I've not met many people over 18 who don't associate the two terms, Mercury and Quicksilver, as being the same thing.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #67
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
In the case of mercury the word "quicksilver" uses the other meaning of quick. As mentioned above quick means "alive" not "swift/fast". In another language you should be looking for a translation of "alive silver" not "fast silver".
Okay. The sword's magic makes it quick, though (think Extra Attack, in GURPS terms). It's not an autonomously fighting blade, as in Dancing Blade (IIRC GURPS and D&D both have those), although with the swift swings it may seem to be alive when wielded by a skilled or merely aggressive person.

Tags
sword, swords