Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: I New - help me understand wizards

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
If your staff is broken, do you have to expend a fresh 200 XP per point to re-enchant the new one to regain its ST storage capacity, or does that simply transfer directly to a new staff that you make?
Page 148: "If a staff is lost or destroyed, the wizard’s next one will have the same Mana stat. The XP was spent, not to enhance a stick of wood, but to improve the wizard’s understanding of the spell. However, the new staff will contain no actual ST until the wizard puts it in."

My question is what is the fatigue cost to cast Staff II after you cast Staff I?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #22
XRaysVision

Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems obvious that it's a balancing act to get the right spells, ST and IQ so that the wizard doesn't simply kill himself by casting. This is going to take some trial and error...
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
larsdangly

You'll figure it out soon enough! TFT uses natural selection to teach you how it works. The probability of death for relatively new characters is high enough that poor strategies get weeded out pretty fast.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
amenditman

larsdangly

I'm quoting your last post as part of my intro for new players to TFT.
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #25
XRaysVision

Thanks,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Not universal answers, but some guidance that I use to sit with the rules, do some reading, comparison of spells, and some analysis and then pre-prepare some wizards so they're ready when needed for a game.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #26
ParadoxGames

I'm new to TFT and I just played my first game of Wizard two days ago.

After reading the rulebook, I realized that to play a wizard is not aobut a magical free-for-all, where you're casting spells and performing all sorts of fantastic feats. Instead I realized that a TFT wizard must play strategically, to balance the risks of magic against he benefits. Since magic is not a commodity, the wizard must deliberate over what would be the best course of action. And since a turn is about 5 seconds' time, in the game's world, the wizard is making these difficult decisions at a moment's notice. Although, upon reading the rules, I realized that tactical combat would be difficult for a 32-point wizard, I knew that it would definitely be interesting.