Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Morathor

Default Limitation for invisibility: Can't attack

I'm working on a sea serpent that can turn invisible to stalk its prey, but must reappear as it attacks. This would be a glamour; the idea is that when you're in imminent peril, your self-preservation overpowers the illusion. What would be a fair value for this limitation? (I do need to figure out the point total for this since they're going to be hypothetically playable.) It seems like attacking undetected is one of the major advantages of invisibility, but it wouldn't be that hard to circle around while invisible and then attack from the blind spot, so I guess it's not that severe a limitation.
While I'm on the subject, would I need to add an enhancement to make this work underwater, without leaving a suspicious serpent-shaped gap in the water?
Morathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Limitation for invisibility: Can't attack

I'd say it's no more than -20% because All-out is -25% and it's more limiting.

Underwater only is usually +0% feature.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

It sounds like a -10%, like a big nuisance effect.

I think you would have to take Underwater on it, if it works underwater also.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Bruno

You might want "Fringe" for the "hole in the water" effect. It's generally used for "predator shimmer" but this seems like just as good an application.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
It sounds like a -10%, like a big nuisance effect.
Given that probably one of the most valuable aspects of Invisibility is the ability to attack targets without them getting meaningful Active Defences or being able to strike back without obscene penalties, this seems wrong to me.

Invisibility that doesn't work in combat seems like it would have less than half utility. It certainly wouldn't be nine-tenths as valuable.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Kazander

I pegged "Dissipates after an attack" (as in it has to be turned back on, possibly taking a turn) at -20%. The way you've worded it, it sounds like your idea doesn't need to be turned back on, it does so automatically, so this would be less.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Morathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You might want "Fringe" for the "hole in the water" effect. It's generally used for "predator shimmer" but this seems like just as good an application.
But I don't want the hole effect. My concern is that RAW invisibility, not being designed for underwater use, would leave such a hole. I'm wondering if I need to take an enhancement to negate that effect. I suppose it's a rather silly concern; since the serpent can't survive above water, I should assume that the invisibility has its normal effect in its default environment, which means no fringe effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Given that probably one of the most valuable aspects of Invisibility is the ability to attack targets without them getting meaningful Active Defences or being able to strike back without obscene penalties, this seems wrong to me.

Invisibility that doesn't work in combat seems like it would have less than half utility. It certainly wouldn't be nine-tenths as valuable.
Well, like I said, it wouldn't be too hard to circle around somebody while invisible and then attack from their blind spot, thus negating their active defenses. So it can be used in combat, just not quite to the same effect. Retaliation is probably the more serious concern.

Seems like the consensus is -20% or less...

Last edited by Morathor; 11-07-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post
I pegged "Dissipates after an attack" (as in it has to be turned back on, possibly taking a turn) at -20%. The way you've worded it, it sounds like your idea doesn't need to be turned back on, it does so automatically, so this would be less.
It seems that the creature is only visibly during the turn of the attack (aka, until they choose another maneuver), and so can be far easier to get around than 'Turns off with Attack maneuver, must turn back on later' which seems -20%.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Morathor

I don't think the ability would turn back on automatically; once you've seen through the illusion, the serpent has to re-establish it, which means they get another will roll to resist it. But this is going to be a reflexive ability, so it won't take a turn, and Will-5 is a hard roll to make. So maybe -15%? That would give me a package of Switchable, Reflexive, Glamour (Will-5), and Ended By Attack for a total of +30%.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morathor View Post
But this is going to be a reflexive ability, so it won't take a turn, and Will-5 is a hard roll to make. So maybe -15%? That would give me a package of Switchable, Reflexive, Glamour (Will-5), and Ended By Attack for a total of +30%.
And how is this better than Invisible (Switchable +10%) where you can attack freely while remaining invisible and they don't get a resistance roll at all (even at -5) to penetrate your cloak of invisibility? Obviously, having your ability shut down and make you more vulnerable should lower the point cost instead of raising it. Using Reflexive to turn it back on isn't necessary as you can consider being momentarily visible similar to having your ability cause you to be suddenly noticeable (like a flashy effect going off when you use Telepathy). After all, Reflexive is designed to enhance your ability to act in your benefit without requiring an action on your part. That really isn't happening here since your ability is already in use but periodically doesn't protect you as described by the condition. I would gauge as about a -20% since that's a pretty serious limitation on Invisibility and it seems worse than giving a non-obvious power (such as telepathy) a visible signature (typically -10% or so).
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, gurps, invisibility, limitation