Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #31
LateCustomer

Default Re: Can a Navy SEAL be made for 200 cps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
-Instead of making the Ueber-Dire-Navy-Seal (aka the Best of the Best) make an average Seal, still good but not perfect. Usually Seals do not operate on their own there is a team and not everybody in this team is a Sharpshooter/Computer-wiz/Tactician/Mechanic/CloseCombatChampion (Though I agree all of them are physically fit, and have combat training). As already mentioned above, those presented on TV (not in movies) are their darlings and not the average Seal.
Using the above, here's a suggested template for a character who has had SEAL training and experience. He's not a an Ahnold action hero... but he might fill in for Bruce in a Die Hard scenario...

135pts out of the 200 for the campaign are used to give this guy the ability to handle his job as part of a team. I would suggest using some of the remaining points on boosting this guy's stats, Advantages, or Skills... particularly whatever skills the player will choose to be his specialties.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

135pts for:
ST, DX, IQ, and HT at 11 [60pts]
Per and Will at 12 [10pts from IQ 11]

Fit [5]

Acting 1pt
Boating 8pts
-Spent between any of the given options
Brawling 2pts
Camouflage 1pt
Climbing 2pt
Crewman (Seamanship) 4pts
Driving (Auto.) 1pt
Elec. Op (Comm.) 1pt
Explosives 8pts
-4pts in Underwater Demo, and the remainder split between E.O.D. and Demo.
First Aid 1pt
Gunner (Machine Gun) 1pt
Guns 4pts
-Spent on Pistol, LAW, and SMG
Knife 1pt
Leadership 2pt
Mechanic (Gas Engine) 1pt
Navigation (Land) 1pt
Navigation (Sea) 2pt
Observation 2pts
Parachuting 1pt
Scrounging 1pt
Scuba 4pts
Stealth 2pts
Survival (Island/Beach) 4pts
Survival (Jungle) 1pts
Swimming 2pts
Tactics 2pts
Throwing 2pts
Traps 2pts
LateCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #32
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateCustomer
Using the above, here's a suggested template for a character who has had SEAL training and experience. He's not a an Ahnold action hero... but he might fill in for Bruce in a Die Hard scenario...

135pts out of the 200 for the campaign are used to give this guy the ability to handle his job as part of a team. I would suggest using some of the remaining points on boosting this guy's stats, Advantages, or Skills... particularly whatever skills the player will choose to be his specialties.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

135pts for:
ST, DX, IQ, and HT at 11 [60pts]
Per and Will at 12 [10pts from IQ 11]
This build is not optimized; if buy IQ up to 12 and drop the the Per and Will boosts, and reduce every IQ based skill above the 1 point level by one level, you add 10 points in IQ!, but drop:

Crewman: 2; Explosives: 4 (assuming EOD and Demo are equal splits); Leadership: 1; Navigation (Sea): 1; Scuba: 2; Survival (Island/Beach): 2; Tactics: 1; Traps: 1 -- for a net savings of 4 points. Plus you get a point better in all the 1 point IQ-based skills.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #33
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
Skill level 12 is profetional.

Seals would probe have Skill levels of 14-15 in ther spiecalty.

Not that hard to do on an IQ 12-13
High Guns skills are going to cost a lot more, as the IQ bonus is gone and, IIRC, you can't have a Talent for firearms.

Brandon
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #34
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
High Guns skills are going to cost a lot more, as the IQ bonus is gone and, IIRC, you can't have a Talent for firearms.
not really. it an "easy Skill" it not goiont to cost too much as DX+4 only costs 12 points.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #35
jkelly

You don't have either Soldier or Savoir-Faire (Military). I think that they're more important than Acting.

The template can probably rely on defaults for some of the skills listed. Electronics Operation (Communications) can probably be dropped once Soldier is added, for example.

I'd take cmdicely's advice and raise IQ to 12, for optimization.
jkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #36
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
not really. it an "easy Skill" it not goiont to cost too much as DX+4 only costs 12 points.
I don't think that any of a SEAL's Guns or Gunner skills in SO 3e has more than 4 points in any of them, so 12 points a whack is a major increase.

Brandon
Old 05-22-2005, 09:15 PM   #37
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
I don't think that any of a SEAL's Guns or Gunner skills in SO 3e has more than 4 points in any of them, so 12 points a whack is a major increase.
The point cost to Get ther Guns 14/15. in the two eddtions:

3e IQ 14[45] DX 14 [45], Gunner (machince guns)-14 [1/2], Gun (granade laucher)-15 [1/2], Gun (pistol)-15 [1/2], Guns (LAW) -15 [1/2], Guns (light auto)-15 [1/2]
[Total:92.5]

4e DX 12 [40] Gunner (HMG)-14 [4], Guns (LMG)-15 [8], Guns (Pistol)-15 [6], (from defuals on LMG) Guns(GL)-15 [8], Guns (LAW) [8].
[Total:74]

4e DX 13 [60] Gunner (HMG)-14 [2], Guns (LMG)-15 [4], Guns (Pistol)-15 [2], (from defuals on LMG) Guns(GL)-15 [4], Guns (LAW) [4].
[total:76]

(special defualts for GL, and LAW hurt)

Last edited by roguebfl; 05-22-2005 at 09:19 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:43 AM   #38
HANS

>Acting 1pt

What for?

>
Guns 4pts
-Spent on Pistol, LAW, and SMG

Er. At DX 11, you won't get much for those 4 points. Also, the primary guns skills is Rifle. You also need Machine Gun, Shotgun, and Grenade Launcher.

>Mechanic (Gas Engine) 1pt

I'd drop this. They don't get training in this.

Cheers

HANS
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:46 AM   #39
HANS

>I don't think that any of a SEAL's Guns or Gunner skills in SO 3e has more than 4 points in any of them, so 12 points a whack is a major increase.

Sure -- but then again, Guns is one of the skills they train most in, making it realistic that they also spend lots of points.

However, at DX 13 as suggested, they only need 4 points to get the level required:

Guns/TL7 (DX+2) [4]-15

Cheers

HANS
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:26 AM   #40
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
Sure -- but then again, Guns is one of the skills they train most in, making it realistic that they also spend lots of points.
Ah, one of the age-old debates in GURPS (although possibly not an undead thread).

If a character has a several DX-based skills at a high level, should they be modeled with a lot of points at a moderate DX or a few points in skills at a high DX? How much of the training in these skills actually improves overall DX? Unfortunately, it seems to often boil down to "whatever costs the least points overall."

Also, my guess is that you picked DX 13 not because it might be more realistic, but because it was more point optimized than DX 14.

Brandon

Tags
character generation, navy seals