Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #1591
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would be a very weird scene to get stuck in on an alien world. The horrific monsters start skittering around in strange herky jerky motions, suddenly displaying bright flaps and imagery. OH NOES! You stumbled into a xenomorph mating lek.

(It took quite a while to re-find that term. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_mating )
Imagine an intelligent species with an instinctive lek. Imagine the stadiums! Imagine the body modifications!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #1592
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Imagine an intelligent species with an instinctive lek. Imagine the stadiums! Imagine the body modifications!
I don't know if it's instinctive, but there's a reason clubs are also called "meat markets".
Old 05-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #1593
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I don't know if it's instinctive, but there's a reason clubs are also called "meat markets".
There's a lot of good argument that dancing and singing in humans may have started as territorial/status displays, as in other primates. I don't know about bonobos, but chimpanzee males do dramatic "thunder dance" displays with a lot of hooting and hollering, and all the gibbons sing.

Territorial/status displays are fitness displays, and fitness is healthy, healthy is sexy. But we also extensively use both singing and dancing as social grooming tools - group territorial displays. So it's serving three or four purposes at once.

Which is typical of evolved traits that get further elaborated on by big human brains.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #1594
tshiggins

As far as spiders go, that one is really cute.

However, I note that it's located in Australia, which raises the question, "Exactly how deadly is it?"
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #1595
Flyndaran
Untagged

Peacock spiders are around 5 millimeters long and not dangerous to humans at all. Australia does have possums compared to the American opossums which are aggressive and mean.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #1596
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
around 5 millimeters long and not dangerous to humans at all.
Do note the two listed traits are not necessarily related. After all, small creatures can have surprisingly nasty toxins that 'work' even in modest doses.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #1597
Bruno

Quote:
Peacock spiders are around 5 millimeters long and not dangerous to humans at all. Australia does have possums compared to the American opossums which are aggressive and mean.
Possums are also cuter! But having two possums having a fight on your corrugated metal roof at 1 AM is just as horrendous as having two opossums having a fight on your corrugated metal roof at 1 AM. The sounds they make when merely squabbling are horrifying, and of course it's claws on metal *wince*.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #1598
Flyndaran
Untagged

My post makes sense to both of yours.
Yesterday I had to face an enormous wasp that wandered in from the heat. Relatively small but venomous and loud.
Small and not deadly does not mean safe or not bothersome, I fully agree.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #1599
Celjabba

Quote:
My post makes sense to both of yours.
Yesterday I had to face an enormous wasp that wandered in from the heat. Relatively small but venomous and loud.
Small and not deadly does not mean safe or not bothersome, I fully agree.
In Belgium and possibly most of Western Europe, I believe wasp are currently the deadliest (to human, counting number of death by year) wild animal.

Last edited by Celjabba; 05-29-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #1600
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
In Belgium and possibly most of Western Europe, I believe wasp are currently the deadliest (to human, counting number of death by year) wild animal.
Allergies I assume, because I thought that only Asian giant hornets can kill people that aren't allergic or stung literally thousands of times.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox