Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
Tywyll

Default Super Easy Divine Magic Rules

If your view of Divine Magic is that it should be subtle and more reflecting on a god blessing their chosen with luck and non-obvious protections, this is for you.

Any character with the Priest Talent (or perhaps a True Faith Talent of similar cost) can buy Lesser Wishes for 400 xp.

Any character with Theologian Talent can buy Lesser Wishes for 300 xp.

Boom. Characters now have a divine ability to manipulate reality without being limited to spells or spell effects. It works with existing mechanics. And allows for a thematic battle of wills between religious champions as they throw and cancel each other's wishes.

Obviously Wish cost can be tampered with to taste. The downside is that your experience is going into a resource you use up to do your things.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Super Easy Divine Magic Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
If your view of Divine Magic is that it should be subtle and more reflecting on a god blessing their chosen with luck and non-obvious protections, this is for you.

Any character with the Priest Talent (or perhaps a True Faith Talent of similar cost) can buy Lesser Wishes for 400 xp.

Boom. Characters now have a divine ability to manipulate reality without being limited to spells or spell effects. It works with existing mechanics. And allows for a thematic battle of wills between religious champions as they throw and cancel each other's wishes.

Obviously Wish cost can be tampered with to taste. The downside is that your experience is going into a resource you use up to do your things.
That's a nice simple way to do things. I like it.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
larsdangly

I like it.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
TippetsTX

And w/o the demonic dependency, I assume?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
MikMod

Yup. I'm going to use xp for wishes as part of cults/worship in my campaign after Shoug suggested it. It's so simple it's beautiful. I like the mechanic where it's 'special' xp though, which you earn for following your faith and which is reserved for wish/prayers. This forum is so good! :)

Applying this new rule was barely an inconvenience.

Last edited by MikMod; 06-25-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Inside joke callback to OP thread title
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
Shostak

Fantastic idea, but when I use this house rule, I'll push the XP cost higher since even lesser wishes are so powerful.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Skarg

I'd suggest removing the most powerful use of the lesser wishes instead (the one where you get to dictate a die roll result in advance).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #8
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post

This is brilliant
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #9
Axly Suregrip

Are you allowed to own more than one lesser wish at a time? If so, this could make for an interesting Theologian villain whom has a stockpile of lesser wishes. Say he has a dozen.

It could go like this: Each of your three hero's attack the Evil High Priest Theologian and each gets their weapon broken. Followed by him doing a sweep with a battleaxe, scoring triple damage on all three of your guys. Net cost: 6 lesser wishes. Likely result 3 dead heroes in one turn.

A counter to someone with that many lesser wishes would be having your own stockpile of lesser wishes.

That is an extreme example. Set up your villain as you need.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:47 AM   #10
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
And w/o the demonic dependency, I assume?
I'm not sure I follow? Buying wishes with xp already doesn't have demonic dependency.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote