Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Harald387

Default Blink Other: Not a Resisted spell

...Can it be used on the wizard's attacker instead of on a friend, forcing a Body Sense roll (usually at default) and (potentially) sending the attacker three yards straight up?
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
lachimba

Default Re: Blink Other: Not a Resisted spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
...Can it be used on the wizard's attacker instead of on a friend, forcing a Body Sense roll (usually at default) and (potentially) sending the attacker three yards straight up?
I assumed not. That does sound like a fun alternative spell though.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Pretty sure Blink and Blink Other don't put people in the air (possibly with an exception for flight). From the wording of the spell, the body sense roll actually has to be made by the caster (this makes no sense, but one good rules lawyering deserves another).
Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
My reading of it...

Blink allows the subject to avoid an attack... Blink Other does the same. Instead of "you' it's "subject".

So have fun helping your foe dodge attacks and go where they wish within 3 yards. Granted if they don't have a good Body Sense skill it might be a decent way of forcing them to Do Nothing...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #5
Dalin

I thought I had seen a Kromm post related to this spell at some point, and I just dug up this one from 2006. Pertinent quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Game balance dictates that Blink Other has automatic resistance if used on a hostile target. That is, it can only help allies who are willing to be helped.
I would rule that the subject decides where they blink to and is responsible for making the Body Sense roll. They could blink vertically if they wanted to. (I picture a crowded tavern brawl with someone blinking up to swing from the chandelier.)

The lingering question for me is whether it should be cast at the usual range penalty for Regular spells (-1 per hex to the subject). I could go either way, but my default assumption would be to assess the penalty. (So you couldn't have war wizards on a castle wall blinking their allies around the battlefield 100 yards away.)

Finally, I would say that you can't blink into another sealed space (like a nearby vault). I would basically say that your body would have to be able to physically move to the destination without dematerializing or opening doors.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Black Leviathan

I don't know how you'd conceptualize that. Imagine you're going to be hit by a falling chunk of ceiling. Quick as a blink your wizard casts a spell. Now you, who may not be aware of the falling debris is going to select a location, in a fraction of an instant? And how would you understand how or where you'd go? The Blink Spell implies active defense, like you're the one casting it. I don't know if a wizard deciding where you'd go makes more sense. Blink Other is just highly problematic in my mind.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I don't know how you'd conceptualize that. Imagine you're going to be hit by a falling chunk of ceiling. Quick as a blink your wizard casts a spell. Now you, who may not be aware of the falling debris is going to select a location, in a fraction of an instant? And how would you understand how or where you'd go? The Blink Spell implies active defense, like you're the one casting it. I don't know if a wizard deciding where you'd go makes more sense. Blink Other is just highly problematic in my mind.
I imagine it something like entering bullet-time. In the blink of an eye, everything freezes and you can fold spacetime to appear somewhere else nearby. If the wizard casts it on you, perhaps there is a telepathic sense of the danger or your minds momentarily merge. Magic?

But I'd be just as good with the wizard doing the deciding. Then they're simply pinching spacetime on the target's behalf. The target knows who's doing it and can decide whether to trust them or not (auto-resist). That makes it harder to justify blinking up to grab the chandelier. (Or maybe you apply a penalty to Body Sense if you substantially change their situation.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blink other