Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #51
Hide

Default Re: Can In Nomine be resurrected?

I am not very familiar with "In Nomine"; however, perhaps you could shift it to GURPS 4e as a supplement? In the fashion of Dungeon Fantasy (not DFRPG), Horror, High Tech, etc.

That could be easier than kick-starting a larger "independent" project; because you are promoting GURPS, rescuing a role-playing system (of sorts), developing a setting you can expand with further plots, etc.

Or what prevents this from happening?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #52
dataweaver

That's what the various “GURPS In Nomine” suggestions in this thread have been about. It was done in 3e, and 4e benefitted from the lessons learned. But ultimately, one of the lessons was that GURPS isn't always a good fit for everything. And In Nomine is one of those things for which it isn't a good fit.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #53
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
That's what the various “GURPS In Nomine” suggestions in this thread have been about. It was done in 3e, and 4e benefitted from the lessons learned. But ultimately, one of the lessons was that GURPS isn't always a good fit for everything. And In Nomine is one of those things for which it isn't a good fit.
I see, so IN has stuff outside GURPS' mechanics? Like comparing a boat and a plane?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #54
dataweaver

More or less, yes. This is less true with 4e than it was with with 3e, largely because of the aforementioned lessons learned from the 3e conversation that then got Incorporated into 4e; but there are still some issues that don't translate well, from structural issues (IN has a highly structured set of twelve attributes organized into three pairs that reflect the cosmology of the setting; these can be mapped to GURPS traits, but something gets lost in the process) to practical issues (the standard protagonists of IN choose a Choir or Band and a Superior; in GURPS, these choices have point costs attached to them that vary from each other by hundreds of points; GURPS In Nomine tacitly admitted that its point balance system couldn't handle In Nomine by suggesting that a character should just be given however many points are needed to purchase the player's choices in these categories) to flavor (In Nomine uses a “d666” mechanic where rolling all sixes, the Number of the Beast; or all ones, the Trinity; result in Infernal or Divine Interventions).
Old 04-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #55
Hide

It looks like working in a compliant "In Nomine 4e" game is a very compelling task; by the way, why is this system "dead"? What made it "die"?
Old 05-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #56
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I am not very familiar with "In Nomine"; however, perhaps you could shift it to GURPS 4e as a supplement? In the fashion of Dungeon Fantasy (not DFRPG), Horror, High Tech, etc.

That could be easier than kick-starting a larger "independent" project; because you are promoting GURPS, rescuing a role-playing system (of sorts), developing a setting you can expand with further plots, etc.

Or what prevents this from happening?
Its something I have given serious thought to but its unlikely to get approved without perceived support from In users. Other authors who may be thinking about it also have to take that into consideration. Would it be worth their time and would it have a good chance of getting approved? Or should they just work with stuff more likely to be in demand?
As Dataweaver suggests its a crunch heavy book so requires a good knowledge of GURPS Powers and a good knowledge of the IN system to convert as faithfully as possible. Even then a few powers just dont convert well or at the least will have wide differences in point costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
It looks like working in a compliant "In Nomine 4e" game is a very compelling task; by the way, why is this system "dead"? What made it "die"?
I dont consider it dead as a system but new material doesn't come out very often (several years now). So its effectively not an active line.
As to that is probably lack of demand but could also be lack of authors.
A shame too, I dont like the mechanics but think its a great setting.
If a 4e book were to come out and if it sold well it would help revitalize IN sales and interest and future books in either line could easily be written as system agnostic or supporting both lines. Most of the IN supplemental material was very light on crunch and heavy on fluff and background material.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #57
dataweaver

…and that “light on crunch” bit is one of the things that fans of the system (not just the setting) like about it. A substantial degree of the resistance to another edition of GIN is how crunchy GURPS is.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #58
Anthony

The big problem for GURPS:IN is that GURPS weights physical abilities highly, and IN doesn't. This isn't a problem unique to IN, plenty of game styles prefer a lower weighting of physical abilities than GURPS assigns to them (3/4 of attributes, 2/3 of attribute costs), but it's not one that has an easy fix in GURPS.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #59
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
…and that “light on crunch” bit is one of the things that fans of the system (not just the setting) like about it. A substantial degree of the resistance to another edition of GIN is how crunchy GURPS is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The big problem for GURPS:IN is that GURPS weights physical abilities highly, and IN doesn't. This isn't a problem unique to IN, plenty of game styles prefer a lower weighting of physical abilities than GURPS assigns to them (3/4 of attributes, 2/3 of attribute costs), but it's not one that has an easy fix in GURPS.
I can see that. GURPS is a more crunchy system and I can easily see where people favor one type over the other. What I dont understand is why that precludes doing the same setting with two different rules systems.
It certainly is something authors need to be aware of and will make certain supplements harder to write if your addressing both audiences. But if the bulk of a supplement is flavor and narrative it could be useful to both systems, increasing sales.

What I dont expect is the core books for each system to benefit from that, but that only hurts a GIN contribution, not future supplements.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #60
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I can see that. GURPS is a more crunchy system and I can easily see where people favor one type over the other. What I dont understand is why that precludes doing the same setting with two different rules systems.
Bear in mind that the fundamental conflicts of the setting are not physical.