Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default M1 Abrams in GURPS 4/e terms? Stats? Anyone done this?

Okay , I did a quick search on the word 'tanks' - and didn't see much discussed in the GURPS section here.

Already looked in both CAMPAIGNs and HIGHT TECH - and I can't find 4/e GURPS stats for an M1 A2 Abrams tank.

Anyone taken a stab at this in the past 4 years?

How close is that vehicle thing? (pdf or real book?)

Okay, and a couple of other questions....:

What would happen if a modern day ABRAMS tank drove straight through a m,aifestation of the Banestorm - right in the middle of a battle and winds up on Yrth in the middle of a battle between a bunch of Orcs and soldiers, Knights from Caithness?? Or same story, but it drives right into a conflict/skirmish between Megalans and Al-Hazi or Al Wazif troops?

Could an Abrams tank be coverted into a crosstime conveyor in the INFINITE WORLDS/Homeline setting?

- Ed
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Adelus

Default Re: M1 Abrams in GURPS 4/e terms? Stats? Anyone done this?

I'm sorta annoyed by this as well; when I looked at High-Tech, I was expecting a bit more modern tanks... but the most recent they have is the T-72.

Is there ever going to be a supplement that gives us a few more TL8 things?
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Gedrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar

What would happen if a modern day ABRAMS tank drove straight through a m,aifestation of the Banestorm - right in the middle of a battle and winds up on Yrth in the middle of a battle between a bunch of Orcs and soldiers, Knights from Caithness?? Or same story, but it drives right into a conflict/skirmish between Megalans and Al-Hazi or Al Wazif troops?
The crew would likely run like hell in their tank screaming "WTF!!!!", until the tank very shortly ran out of gas. It is an enormously complex machine, that is difficult to service without significant mechanical advantages.

Quote:
Could an Abrams tank be coverted into a crosstime conveyor in the INFINITE WORLDS/Homeline setting?

- Ed
Given the "Psychic Blueberry Muffin", I refuse to say that anything is impossible. However, I'm pretty sure that militarized conveyors are a political minefield for Homeline. I'd think they would more likely build things on a "carrier model" for transporting things like tanks. You might get a special purpose tank with "Tunneling" conveyor. Essentially a lead tank that allows other tanks to follow crosstime. "The Secret" is pretty much GONE when you have 60 ton tanks appearing through a rift at will. Of course, Reich 5 could experiment with this sort of thing, though I'm pretty sure mostly they use genengineered mules. Merlin is also a possible source for such a device, though only as an experimental model, as it lacks the subtlety they seem to use for crosstime ops.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Okay , I did a quick search on the word 'tanks' - and didn't see much discussed in the GURPS section here.

Already looked in both CAMPAIGNs and HIGHT TECH - and I can't find 4/e GURPS stats for an M1 A2 Abrams tank.

- Ed
I have not. Were I to do so, I'd start here: http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/protect.htm for armor and weaponry.

And then I'd go to http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/m1-intro.htm to get all the unclassified performance pieces other than armor and weaponry.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Mgellis

Quote:

How close is that vehicle thing? (pdf or real book?)

- Ed
Here's a quick attempt (approx. 20 minutes, including research)...

TL: 8
Vehicle: M1 Abrams
ST/HP: 200
Hnd/SR: -3/5
HT: 10 <-- standard for 4e vehicles, possible generous for a tank
Move: 1/20
LWt: 65 tons
Load: 2 tons
SM: +4 <-- on the boundary between +4 and +5, so I gave it +4 because of its sleek and stealthy design (well, for a tank)
Occ: 4
DR: 1650
Range: 275 miles
Cost: $4,300,000
Locations: 2CTX

Most of the Abrams use a 120-mm. gun, so I would just use the Russian 125-mm. one from High-Tech as a baseline, using the depleted uranium rounds described on p. 141, but tweak for things like range and ROF.

Information from...

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/abrams.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/m1-intro.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/weapon/M256.html
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus
I'm sorta annoyed by this as well; when I looked at High-Tech, I was expecting a bit more modern tanks... but the most recent they have is the T-72.

Is there ever going to be a supplement that gives us a few more TL8 things?
I would say there's a good chance of it. Got a book contracted that needs some modern US and Israeli heavy armor in it. Haven't decided whether to feature an Abrams, Merkava, or Bradley - possibly all three, if space permits. Will also cover Predator/Reaper combat drones, Apaches or Cobras, and other stuff. It's not a Vehicles supplement, though.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Ed the Coastie

I have my own wish-list for vehicles that appear in various games (Aftermath, Morrow Project, Twilight 2000) with adventures that I want to convert. I'm probably going to crib the stats from them when I have the time.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
DR: 1650
This should have some level of Hardened as well at least against shaped charged rounds.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
This should have some level of Hardened as well at least against shaped charged rounds.
Actually, the value is based on the equivalent of a certain thickness of steel, according to the website I got the figure from, so I think the effect of what GURPS calls hardened is already in there. Otherwise, assuming that steel is about 70 DR per inch, the armor would have to be something like two feet thick!

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
Hai-Etlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
It would presumably use the rules for TL8 Laminate Armour on HT229.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote