Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #41
ak_aramis

Default Re: Can In Nomine be resurrected?

While I'd be interested in a revised IN, I've zero interest in G:IN.

IN suffers from being "thematically troublesome" for public play... I'd not be comfortable running it at a pub, library, or game store... Which, at present is where I game. The "Satanic Panic" may not be front page news, there are still continuing echoes of it, especially in sociopolitically conservative areas of the US.

I'll also add that the SJG forums have a rep of hostility to non-GURPS games... It's largely false, but there seems to be a tendency to GURPS chauvinism. And that has impinged discussion somewhat... I know it disincentivized my own discussion just as much as both my inability to find a suitable group willing to play it, and a suitably non-public place to run it.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #42
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

It seems to me that the pop culture moment is right for the reintroduction of In Nomine: the popularity of "Supernatural" and "American Gods," the coming of the televised "Good Omens," etc. Behind-the-scenes mythic stuff has some memetic punch to it right now, that a marketing campaign could take advantage of.

That said, I agree that the radar has been quiet. I used to be one of the most active members of this forum, but it's been quite a while since I've been on here. (Or on the SJG boards in general; blame the rise of social media for that one.) Right now, things seem to be in a Catch-22 ... the game will get promoted more if a market can be demonstrated, but for folks to know about it and create a market, it needs to get promoted more.

As AA Beth knows, I've got a draft manuscript of my own to add to the "Expanded Superior" collection (co-authored with ISNorden). It would need a significant amount of dust blown off it, but it could add some useful stuff to the IN universe.

On the rules - like AA Beth, I love the check digit, but having a 2d6 success roll gives a very coarse-grained approach to character power. One wonders if a 3d6 plus check roll would be worth examining, with the main 3d6 still determining success/failure/intervention (with a bell curve matching that of GURPS) while the check digit measured the quality, including a way to gauge the relative power or nature of interventions.

Side note: I've got some half-completed filks for this board that I really need to dig up and finish to get the power of my Word going again.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:16 AM   #43
Thkaal

There are so many problems with getting a strong community for it. I only recently got some of my friends to play it, mostly because they see celestials as op and humans as useless. Or....they have religious convictions (both for and against) skewing their views (the Christians and Muslims find it blasphemous and a couple of atheists find it promotes religion......I still can't figure that out.)
Thkaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:35 AM   #44
Thkaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Problem is, without something new to talk about, there's really not much the fans can do in terms of talking it up.

We could start posting games. I'm trying to get one going on Saturday nights, I'll see if I can't post "logs" of what's happening.
Thkaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #45
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thkaal View Post
There are so many problems with getting a strong community for it. I only recently got some of my friends to play it, mostly because they see celestials as op and humans as useless. Or....they have religious convictions (both for and against) skewing their views (the Christians and Muslims find it blasphemous and a couple of atheists find it promotes religion......I still can't figure that out.)
I got kind of lucky. The group that I was part of for years ran pretty well, despite a pretty wide mix of the religious and the non-religious, from Christian to agnostic/atheist to Norse pagan. We just took the game world as "that universe, not this universe," and went from there. (Heck, it was the Norse pagan GM who added Purgatory to the setting ... )

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #46
Attercap

My dream for In Nomine v2 would be along the lines of a soft-reboot. Cleaning up the mechanics, tightening the balance, and discarding a lot of the secondary superiors (maybe some could come back later or more could be added), and modernizing it (and any attunements). It'd be nice if humans weren't terrible to play, but playing humans isn't a strong selling point for me (and could potentially make it harder for celestials to do their thing).

I'd buy a G:IN to help support the line and prove interest, but that level of power and GURPS has never worked well for me.

I've found that no two groups seem to play In Nomine or envision its universe in quite the same way. This is a strength of a versatile setting, but would a major hurdle to capture the same flexibility in a re-write. I can see the temptation/ease in making demons simply "the bad guys" rather than the ambiguity of their current status. That'd be my biggest fear with an INv2; losing the "dials" and variable viewpoints.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #47
Copperbird

I think it could be done, but it would need updating and to do it 'right' (in my view) it probably needs to reflect current conflicts within the catholic church (ie. political conservatism vs liberation theology/ Benedict vs Francis).

I know it's political, but the game would absolutely sing IMO. Plus it would be very true to the original to go for it.
Copperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #48
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperbird View Post
I think it could be done, but it would need updating and to do it 'right' (in my view) it probably needs to reflect current conflicts within the catholic church (ie. political conservatism vs liberation theology/ Benedict vs Francis).

I know it's political, but the game would absolutely sing IMO. Plus it would be very true to the original to go for it.
That would not be good. That would be very offensive to some (including me), and would beg for addressing the various splits in Christianity... like TLM/Lefebvrist vs Roman Rite; Old Catholic/Utrecht-union vs Roman Rite; Orthodox vs Eastern Rites Catholic; Lutheran and Anglican vs Catholic...

each of which would further reduce the fanbase.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #49
DreadDomain

I would be interested.

My small pieces of nuggets:

1) The setting is fun and intriguing
2) A new edition would need new visuals. I loved Dan but I have a feeling IN would need a different style to grab the attention of the wider audience
3) I never played it with the native system (we used GURPS) but it seemed a lot of fun and loved the design behind it. I heard about its wonkiness but would not know about it. Hopefully a new edition would smooth it out.
4) GURPS 4E would be much better than GURPS 3E for IN. If the GIN route would be choosen, I would prefer a Powered by GURPS approach (a la Discworld) instead of a Changing Times approach.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #50
dataweaver

Your fourth point is true if for no other reason than 4e added the Possession and Vessel advantages — largely due to lessons learned in the making of GIN.

That said, I would consider GIN 2e to be a last resort; I'd much prefer an IN 2e that addresses some of the wonkiness of the system and setting while keeping its essence intact.