Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-28-2018, 12:46 AM   #51
Skarg

Default Re: kusarigama

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
IQ 8 Unusual Weapons
Kusarigama (1) - Prereqs: Ax/Mace(2), Lasso(1), and Two-weapon(2). That's a lot of training but that seems about right to me.
But I think kusari (weighted chain) is fairly often trained and used just by itself, and/or can be attached to other weapons.

And I don't know that kusari users are necessarily competent with lasso too... I'd want to ask someone who's trained in kusari and then just tried to toss a lasso.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #52
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
But I think kusari (weighted chain) is fairly often trained and used just by itself, and/or can be attached to other weapons.

And I don't know that kusari users are necessarily competent with lasso too... I'd want to ask someone who's trained in kusari and then just tried to toss a lasso.
That's certainly your prerogative.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #53
Helborn

I'm having a hard time understanding the association of Lasso and Chain/kusarigama. The lasso uses a LOOP to entangle/snare the target. A chain is more of a whip than a lasso. I do retract my idea of any DX- for range. The whip can have lasso-like effects but the technique is quite different.

The point of the kusarigama (or any chain) is that there is no minimum range. It is effective from 1 hex to whatever the length of the chain is - which can be 2, 3, 4, or 5 hexes. Each additional hex of range (or 2 hexes of range) perhaps requiring one additional pt of ST over the minimum because of the additional weight of the chain.

I would suggest:
IQ 8 Unusual Weapons
Kusarigama (1) - Prereqs: Ax/Mace(2) and Whip(1). If you have Two Weapons you can do two attacks - with the kama (sickle) and with the ball or chain, otherwise you are limited to either the kama (sickle), the ball, or the chain for your attack. The ball does club equivalent damage, the kama does 1+1, and the chain does a whip attack per the whip rules. The ball can also disarm per the Quarterstaff rules.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #54
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding the association of Lasso and Chain/kusarigama. The lasso uses a LOOP to entangle/snare the target. A chain is more of a whip than a lasso. I do retract my idea of any DX- for range. The whip can have lasso-like effects but the technique is quite different.

The point of the kusarigama (or any chain) is that there is no minimum range. It is effective from 1 hex to whatever the length of the chain is - which can be 2, 3, 4, or 5 hexes. Each additional hex of range (or 2 hexes of range) perhaps requiring one additional pt of ST over the minimum because of the additional weight of the chain.

I would suggest:
IQ 8 Unusual Weapons
Kusarigama (1) - Prereqs: Ax/Mace(2) and Whip(1). If you have Two Weapons you can do two attacks - with the kama (sickle) and with the ball or chain, otherwise you are limited to either the kama (sickle), the ball, or the chain for your attack. The ball does club equivalent damage, the kama does 1+1, and the chain does a whip attack per the whip rules. The ball can also disarm per the Quarterstaff rules.
That's perfectly reasonable and fair to me. I chose Lasso because the Whip rules use the Lasso rules extensively except when attempting to deal direct damage. I also thought the Lasso's range rules seemed applicable. I also can see a case for combining Whip and Lasso into one talent. Because of the way I stated my chain damage/rules, choosing between Whip or Lasso as a prerequisite seems close to splitting hairs to me. Your ruling on the Two-Weapon talent is absolutely better than mine. Consider it stolen! :)

EDIT
Concerning the LOOP of the lasso and lack of loop on a chain...the weighted end of the chain combined with the "friction" of the chain links would form a nice locking loop if it wrapped around you. Yes, this is pretty much what a Whip does. Again, the whip rules piggy-back extensively on the lasso rules.

Last edited by platimus; 11-29-2018 at 01:36 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote