Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
Alfa

Default Re: Spaceships 3 missiles in limited superscience TL10 setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Not using missiles doesn't really work if you're trying to replicate a setting where (for example) ships only have missiles as weapons and cannons as point defense and last resort.
Yeah, I thought about a missile-and-beams setting, with smaller ships being faster, and I currently try to balance it all.

Edit: I think I like varyon's suggestion, I'll see what can be done with that.

Last edited by Alfa; 08-20-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post

Do missiles live long enough that you need to worry about acceleration and deltaV?
Unless in a Fast Pass situation and using detailed movement it is my experience that enemy ships do not live long enough for missiles to reach them.

Warp missiles are an obvious exception and Fast Passes are common enough that preparation for offense and defense during them is wise.

Otherwise though, 660 seconds is what big missiles need to reach their maximum range and that's 33 20 second Turns. If there are any other weaposn capable of those ranges the fight will be over before the missiels hit.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
AlexanderHowl

It really depends on the level of protection. A TL 10 SM+14 dreadnought could easily have front Hardened DR 800, which ignores anything less than 300 GJ UV lasers and can shrug off 1 TJ UV lasers most of the time. A comparable spacecraft requires SM+14 spinal UV lasers to have a decent chance of punching through the front armor. Of course, particle beams are more dangerous, but they are capable of engaging in much shorter ranges than UV lasers.

In addition, there are accuracy concerns. Extreme range gives a -16 to hit, which means that a significant number of shots will miss, even with a spinal mount, especially since warships will often have defensive ECM. Also, spaceships can dodge attacks.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Unless in a Fast Pass situation and using detailed movement it is my experience that enemy ships do not live long enough for missiles to reach them.

Warp missiles are an obvious exception and Fast Passes are common enough that preparation for offense and defense during them is wise.

Otherwise though, 660 seconds is what big missiles need to reach their maximum range and that's 33 20 second Turns. If there are any other weaposn capable of those ranges the fight will be over before the missiels hit.
Missiles have no maximum range in SS3. They can do arbitrarily long unpowered flights between an initial boost burn and a final attack burn.

(Meanwhile in the SS1 system they have a maximum range, but don't have any flight time.)

Tags
missiles, spaceships