Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #61
Tom H.

Default Re: FnordCon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Um -- I moved the Speed-dial slider on the board I was using through its full range; at no point did "Control" markings appear *anywhere* on the Speed scale. (Not sure about the Tire scale; I never rolled enough tire hits for that to matter.) I don't know how that might have happened; possibly the hole on the slider I was using was mis-cut too small?
Hey 43Supporter:

I have a couple of pictures to jog my memory.

There was a Sequence of Play reference card.

The last step of the round, everyone returns any remaining control counters to the supply pool.

Then on step 2 of the following round, you replenish your control counters based on the green control labels that are showing on your dashboard.

If you were to remove all sliders off of the dashboard, you would see 6 control labels. Depending on your actual speed and tire damage, those sliders may cover some of the control labels. This could reduce the number of control counters you could replenish in step 2.

If you were not aware of this, I wonder what mechanic you used to regain spent control counters?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #62
schoon

I have a semi random question for those that played at the con:

How hard would it be to mod the game scale to 1:64 from HO?

From pictures it looks like the cars have special bases, but just how special are they?
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 AM   #63
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
From pictures it looks like the cars have special bases, but just how special are they?
You cannot play without the bases.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 AM   #64
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
You can see them pretty clearly here and here. They're shaped like a boat or a shield, coming to a point on the front and the back rounded. They also have a cutout underneath which is used with the turning/measuring stick.

If you can 3D print things you can probably make scaled bases without too much trouble. Another option would be to glue together shapes cut from boxes or other (relatively thin) materials.

Last edited by Parody; 04-15-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #65
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
If you can 3D print things you can probably make scaled bases without too much trouble. Another option would be to glue together shapes cut from boxes or other (relatively thin) materials.
You will be literally modifying every car and turning key at that rate. Seems like it's easier just to use the components that come with the game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #66
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You will be literally modifying every car and turning key at that rate. Seems like it's easier just to use the components that come with the game.
To be fair...Monopolis, Rainbow Bay Blast Furnace, Tilkendröm, and room-scale Ogre Macrotures weren't easy (or even rational) either. Let it never be said that those who do absurd passion projects are sane. ;)

Scaling CW6 up to 3X isn't a project I won't be personally taking on (the 3D-modeled cars look a hundred times cooler than anything I could build out of Hot Wheels and Plasticard...I'll save the 3X scale for CWC 'nostalgia block' games), but I completely understand the urge.

To make an attempt at answering Schoon's question: If you're competent with draftsman's tools, you could probably get car base / turning stick templates drawn on and cut out of plasticard in a weekend, to then cut your own from acrylic/cardboard/whatever. The biggest issue you'll run into is the rounded ends of the car bases...they serve a gameplay purpose so you'd have to make sure you get the radii and everything else on them right.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #67
Magesmiley

So, as someone who runs games at 3X scale Classic Car Wars at conventions who attended FnordCon, I definitely contemplated scaling. Could the bases be scaled? Certainly. Is it going to be easy? Probably not trivial. Will it look as nice? Also probably not.

So, for me, my current plan is to continue using my arenas built for 3X scale, but to use the standard 6E components. The battlefields may be a bit large, but I think that they'll work pretty well.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #68
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Then on step 2 of the following round, you replenish your control counters based on the green control labels that are showing on your dashboard.
There weren't any on the one I was using.

Quote:
If you were to remove all sliders off of the dashboard, you would see 6 control labels. Depending on your actual speed and tire damage, those sliders may cover some of the control labels. This could reduce the number of control counters you could replenish in step 2.
I looked under mine -- there were no markings of any kind. I'm starting to wonder if I got a misprinted board.

Quote:
If you were not aware of this, I wonder what mechanic you used to regain spent control counters?
End-of-turn: Clear all Control and Ace markers.

Beginning of turn: Take 5 Control markers, plus whatever bonus Control markers one's accessories allowed one (in my case: +1 for the 2-pt. Driver, and +1 for the Spoiler).

Nothing was ever said about upper-limits for Control markers; and at no point were we ever provided with an actual printed rules manual for consultation.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #69
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
I looked under mine -- there were no markings of any kind. I'm starting to wonder if I got a misprinted board.
I'm letting the dev team know so they can find and replace it, if so. But that would be a damn weird misprint.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #70
TheAmishStig

Quote:
End-of-turn: Clear all Control and Ace markers.

Beginning of turn: Take 5 Control markers, plus whatever bonus Control markers one's accessories allowed one (in my case: +1 for the 2-pt. Driver, and +1 for the Spoiler).

Nothing was ever said about upper-limits for Control markers; and at no point were we ever provided with an actual printed rules manual for consultation.
One quick correction: Take X control markers + any provided by cards, where X is the number of Control icons currently showing on the dashboard (because assuming yours was a misprint, they would have gotten covered up as the sliders move...speed 3 and speed 4 each cover up one, as do Tires 6, 4, 2, and 0).

Did you happen to get a picture? I'd love to be able to compare/contrast against the board I was playing off of.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote