Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #71
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Basic Charm Learned from the Nommo and Useful for Adventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I agree that 4 energy per effect is not unfair for a spell that can buff all allies and debuff all enemies within the Area of Effect.

This spell specifically wasn't meant to be usable like that, but, of course, I suppose I could design it so that it is easily varied from a ritual meant to affect a game of chance to one that works in combat. Even if the +5/-5 to Gambling is probably pretty meaningless, adding Luck (or upgrading Luck to Extraordinary Luck) is pretty nice and Unluckiness for foes in combat is an entertaining notion.
Take it from someone who has been running RPM for a long time - players will eventually misuse it. Put the countermeasures in place first and just stick to them.

Another way to think of the spell is to think of it as two seperate spells with two separate parameters, stacking them together with Selective Effect is still cheaper and should cost a modest amount.

Quote:
Murphy Ward

Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait: Luck.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

Grants the subject Luck (or increases Luck to Extraordinary Luck). Edward Alvin Smith always casts it as a Charm, usually on the tattoo he has on his body with the Nommo sigil for protection from adverse occurances.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Control Chance (5) + Altered Trait, Luck (15) + Duration, 12 hour (6). 31 energy (31×1).
Nothing wrong here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #72
Icelander

Default Re: Basic Charm Learned from the Nommo and Useful for Adventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Take it from someone who has been running RPM for a long time - players will eventually misuse it. Put the countermeasures in place first and just stick to them.
Players don't stat rituals (or anything else). I do.

Hence, I can declare that magic can do X fairly easily, but not Y, because that doesn't fit the metaphysics of the setting. In general, blatant magic is difficult to the point of impossibility in most areas, but that aside, energy cost should have some correlation to utility.

Curing AIDS costing less than 25% of the energy of a dreamcatcher that alleviates the symptoms of insomnia for a week while also providing protection against supernatural dream visitations... it seems odd. Haven't decided what to do about it (Cure Disease on AIDS is already using a Greater effect), but I can't use a Dreamcatcher spell that, while subtle enough to be explained away as merely a psychological placebo effect, is four times harder to cast than a miraculous and blatant removal of a life-changing disease.

If a method of statting a ritual yields an energy cost that is out of all proportion to other rituals, when the subtlety and utility are considered, Rule 0 demands that I look for another way to express the ritual in rules terms, one that will yield an energy cost that actually reflects the power of the spell.

Quote:
Another way to think of the spell is to think of it as two seperate spells with two separate parameters, stacking them together with Selective Effect is still cheaper and should cost a modest amount.
It should cost something, certainly.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #73
Refplace

Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

How about using the Constiuent and Multiple Targets tables from the back of Thaumatology as a guide? RPM was built largely on the systems that use those tables after all.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:01 AM   #74
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Players don't stat rituals (or anything else). I do.
That is very wise. RPM can get tricky.

Quote:
Hence, I can declare that magic can do X fairly easily, but not Y, because that doesn't fit the metaphysics of the setting. In general, blatant magic is difficult to the point of impossibility in most areas, but that aside, energy cost should have some correlation to utility.

Curing AIDS costing less than 25% of the energy of a dreamcatcher that alleviates the symptoms of insomnia for a week while also providing protection against supernatural dream visitations... it seems odd. Haven't decided what to do about it (Cure Disease on AIDS is already using a Greater effect), but I can't use a Dreamcatcher spell that, while subtle enough to be explained away as merely a psychological placebo effect, is four times harder to cast than a miraculous and blatant removal of a life-changing disease.

If a method of statting a ritual yields an energy cost that is out of all proportion to other rituals, when the subtlety and utility are considered, Rule 0 demands that I look for another way to express the ritual in rules terms, one that will yield an energy cost that actually reflects the power of the spell.
I actually use the rules for curing diseases from Divine Favor as a penalty to the casting roll itself in Ceteri. The spell to cure a sickness is easy, the skill required to do so is much more tricky.

Quote:
It should cost something, certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
How about using the Constiuent and Multiple Targets tables from the back of Thaumatology as a guide? RPM was built largely on the systems that use those tables after all.
That is actually not a bad idea. Hmmm.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #75
Icelander

Quote:
That is very wise. RPM can get tricky.
Didn't actually have the option to do much else, it's not like any of them know RPM well enough to stat rituals.

Neither did I, really, but I'm working on learning it.

Quote:
I actually use the rules for curing diseases from Divine Favor as a penalty to the casting roll itself in Ceteri. The spell to cure a sickness is easy, the skill required to do so is much more tricky.
Very good idea! Thanks.

Quote:
That is actually not a bad idea. Hmmm.
Use as it or double the modifier as RPM energy cost?

Looking over it, I'd use it as is, especially if it goes along with Area of Effect.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #76
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Didn't actually have the option to do much else, it's not like any of them know RPM well enough to stat rituals.

Neither did I, really, but I'm working on learning it.
A good move is a good move, intentional or not.

Quote:
Very good idea! Thanks.
It makes things like supernatural healing harder - and that's the entire point in Ceteri at least.

Quote:
Use as it or double the modifier as RPM energy cost?

Looking over it, I'd use it as is, especially if it goes along with Area of Effect.
In almost all cases when adapting the modifiers from Thaumatology you double it. I'd have to look at it and run a few scenarios to see how it plays. I'll get back to you.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #77
Icelander

Default Path of Chance Ritual that Granted Destiny Points

In one of the many sources I read, I think I found a ritual written up that granted Destiny Points. I'm almost positive that Christopher Rice wrote it up, but I can't remember where it was.

Does anyone know which Pyramid or other source?

Or how to do it?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #78
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Path of Chance Ritual that Granted Destiny Points

Quote:
In one of the many sources I read, I think I found a ritual written up that granted Destiny Points. I'm almost positive that Christopher Rice wrote it up, but I can't remember where it was.

Does anyone know which Pyramid or other source?

Or how to do it?
Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III, Elixir of Fortune, p. 16

Become a Patron!
Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #79
Icelander

Quote:
Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III, Elixir of Fortune, p. 16
Ah, great, thanks!

Would you allow one temporary Destiny Point as a Lesser Control Chance effect?

Perhaps with the adjustment that the caster doesn't select when it's used, the GM does, in accordance with a short definition by the caster of what the good fortune is supposed to do (i.e. protection, financial windfall, luck in love, etc.).
Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #80
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Ah, great, thanks!

Would you allow one temporary Destiny Point as a Lesser Control Chance effect?

Perhaps with the adjustment that the caster doesn't select when it's used, the GM does, in accordance with a short definition by the caster of what the good fortune is supposed to do (i.e. protection, financial windfall, luck in love, etc.).
In those conditions, yes. I might even allow up to three if the GM is the one who decides when it's used and the spell gives exact parameters for its use.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ritual, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology, vile vortices