Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #141
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Maybe a compromise is to have it cost 1 AP spread across these 2 actions, rather than 0 or 2? I don't think removing a shoe would cost more AP than drawing a sword, for comparison.
It can be free.

No HP recovered.

One step towards Green, taking all out defense (dodge).

I wonder, what do infinite featureless plains feel like on bare feet? I imagine something like polished stone...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #142
Plane

Or socks? I guess that's not mentioned under armor. That would be some important gear, I imagine socks would provide some minor protection against cutting weapons, even if it was only 1 point of ablative DR? More importantly the reduced friction to avoid blister injuries, something that could be used as a garrote...

May as well complete the set, using a 3rd ready to remove the other (doesn't take 2 this time, since that was just 1.5 rounded up).

Shoes held, rolls away once more, maintaining the distance. Roll HT again!
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #143
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The clothing we're using really wasn't specified. For some reason I imagined us barefoot and stripped to the waste wearing shorts of the appropriate color, but it was never really specified. Unarmed combat is really timeless. As is the urge to arm yourself.

Socks would depend on time period, but are pretty likely. I don't know if I'd rather wear them on polished stone (or whatever this floor is).

failed the HT roll again (11) but Red will keep stepping closer and take all out defense (dodge) again.

I still think that standing steps should be free and prone characters should not be allowed a step, or have it measured in something like feet.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #144
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The clothing we're using really wasn't specified. For some reason I imagined us barefoot and stripped to the waste wearing shorts of the appropriate color, but it was never really specified.
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/...dex.php?id=one specifies "Normal Clothing" for both and later says:
Armor: Normal Clothing* (DR 0 arms, legs, torso, groin, 2 lbs.), Shoes* (DR 1 feet, 2 lbs.) [* flexible]

Quote:
I still think that standing steps should be free and prone characters should not be allowed a step, or have it measured in something like feet.
If it was something like "no free steps, but 1 free Movement Point per second" and then you bought extra Movement Points (up to a maximum of Basic Move) using AP, that would probably be the most workable. I'm definitely exploiting the gap in the system here with my equally-effortless lying-shuffle-escape.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:21 AM   #145
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/...dex.php?id=one specifies "Normal Clothing" for both and later says:
Armor: Normal Clothing* (DR 0 arms, legs, torso, groin, 2 lbs.), Shoes* (DR 1 feet, 2 lbs.) [* flexible]
And so it does. I missed that.

[/quote]If it was something like "no free steps, but 1 free Movement Point per second" and then you bought extra Movement Points (up to a maximum of Basic Move) using AP, that would probably be the most workable. I'm definitely exploiting the gap in the system here with my equally-effortless lying-shuffle-escape.[/QUOTE]

I do strongly feel that the single step back shouldn't cost, but if the first step in a direction is 1 MP and you get 1 MP per turn I'd be good with that.

It's green's turn.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #146
Plane

Quote:
I do strongly feel that the single step back shouldn't cost, but if the first step in a direction is 1 MP and you get 1 MP per turn I'd be good with that.
Rather than altering MP cost, it could be something like a free 40% of MP per turn, which would allow someone with Move 5 (2 free MP per turn) to go 1 step to the right or left or 2 steps forward.

That would still put the person with less than Move 5 out of luck, but I would propose a "carryover of unused MP" to following seconds.

The most MP you could use is still dictated by maneuver choice BUT if you had unspent free MP (or MP you purchased using AP) then it would be added to in the following second with more free AP up until you reached a maximum MP pool equal to your Basic Move.

That way, someone who didn't have enough free MP per second to sidestep/backstep (or crawl, for that matter) could built it up by the 2nd second and then do it. But if they wanted to do it sooner I'd make them pay AP for the rush.

Quote:
It's green's turn.
I just realized, on April 15 when I got up to 7/12 AP, I had done another AOD which was untriggered so I should've made another HT roll to recover AP at the start of the turn of my 1st ready. Doing so now... got a 9<11 so recover 1, up to 8/12 AP.

I want more, so doing AOD:double again, using free step to shimmy backwards, maintaining the distance of 5 yards.

Roll HT to recover AP, choose next maneuver.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #147
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

HT roll failed with a 15.

Red will take a do nothing maneuver, letting the distance rise.

Quote:
Rather than altering MP cost, it could be something like a free 40% of MP per turn, which would allow someone with Move 5 (2 free MP per turn) to go 1 step to the right or left or 2 steps forward.

That would still put the person with less than Move 5 out of luck, but I would propose a "carryover of unused MP" to following seconds.

The most MP you could use is still dictated by maneuver choice BUT if you had unspent free MP (or MP you purchased using AP) then it would be added to in the following second with more free AP up until you reached a maximum MP pool equal to your Basic Move.

That way, someone who didn't have enough free MP per second to sidestep/backstep (or crawl, for that matter) could built it up by the 2nd second and then do it. But if they wanted to do it sooner I'd make them pay AP for the rush.
I'm actually feel that the ability to move a short distance in any direction is a key part of step.

My preferred scheme would be 25% of move and the direction for the first yard doesn't matter.

I'd prefer to track feet with very slow postures, but I've never been that attatched to hexes

Old 05-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #148
Plane

Close Combat already sort of has a basis for half-hexes so 1.5 increments could work too. I sort of envision a hex broken down into 6 triangles anyway, to account for those close combat shared hex ops.

HT roll time... got a 12, also a failure!

Seems like a good time for a Change Posture maneuver, I spend 2 AP to go from lying > kneeling, dropping from 8/12 AP to 6/12 AP.

I think it would be cool if we always had DX rolls for everything including stuff like Ready or Change Posture so there's a chance for fumbling, even if there was a large basic bonus to make it less likely.

One thing I didn't consider before the fight: we could've done a Quick Contest of Tactics to give the winner a number of rerolls equal to MoV. Since both chars have the same IQ it could've been a toss-up. I would've liked to have saved something like that for rerolling a critical failure :)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #149
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The roll of 11 gives Red back 1 AP.

He will evaluate and step 1 yard closer.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #150
Plane

The last time you regained AP was April 22 I think: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=137 where you went from 7>9 so this recent one brings you up to a full 10/10 then?

Using your free step narrowed the gap between where my upper body USED to be from 5 to 4 yards.

That said... when I did a Change Posture maneuver, I had the option of consolidating my mass into either of the 2 hexes I was occupying (B385 "If you get up from a prone posture, you may choose to get up into either of your hexes.") so I forgot to specify, but I got up into a hex further away (6 yards) so when you moved a yard closer, you only narrowed it to 5 yards again.

I could use a free step to rise from Kneeling to Standing (although I believe I would still pay 1 AP to change the posture that way?) but I need to consider the trade-off:
*kneeling, I am -2 to attack and -2 to defend and my move is 1/3
*standing, I am -2 to dodge and my Move is 1/2 (due to partial injuries)

So while standing is still slightly better, it's not as huge as an advantage as it used to be...

strangely, even though an injured leg SHOULD penalize someone moving around kneeling (if anything it might even hurt worse!), there doesn't seem to be any negative effects at all...

I've been relying on dodges to avoid the penalty to parry kicks and the penalty to parry attacks targetting the leg, which have been collectively exploited to give a -4 to parry kicks to my leg. Due to that, there isn't a major difference between -2 to dodge and -2 to defend.

Reduced move doesn't really penalize me at all when I'm only moving 1 yard at a time, and -2 to attack you isn't really a penalty if I'm not attacking you... so I may as well remain kneeling for now.

Taking a ready maneuver to adjust my grip on the shoes by its laces so I can use it as a weapon, and using my free step to shuffle another yard backward, bringing us back to 6 yards apart.

I remain at 8/12 AP, this wouldn't require any serious exertion according to the guidelines...

Any Ready maneuver that represents real exertion – such as drawing a bow or spanning a crossbow, changing grips or Reach on a weapon, or quick sheathing – costs 1 AP.
Exception: A full-second ready does not cost AP for actions such as drawing a sword, cocking or unholstering a gun, etc.
I can't say I understand why changing grips/reach on a weapon would be "real exertion" TBH, that sounds like something you could do without much exertion if it was a light enough weapon.

Don't bother making your HT roll as you're already at full AP

Also note: Evaluate is only possible if you can reach someone with a Move and Attack maneuver. Since we are both at -0.5 to our Basic Speed (6>5.5) from the -1 to DX/HT, our Basic Move is now reduced to 5 (BS rounded down) but I'll allow it at 6 since legs are reach 1 weapons.

I don't believe I would be able to Evaluate you at this distance however, since my Move is reduced from from 5 to 1/3. 1.6 rounds down to 1, so I'm just as slow moving around kneeling/crawling (both are a third) as I would be if Lying. The main benefit is reduced penalties to attack you and reduced penalties to my active defenses.

That sorta makes sense, you would be capable of evaluating people further off if you were standing than lying. Though I don't really understand why faster guys or guys with longer weapons would be more capable of evaluating people who were further off. Thoughts? IMO limiting the Evaluate distance to something like Basic Speed (minus 1 for crouching, minus 2 for kneeling, minus 3 for crawling/sitting, minus 4 for lying) might be more balanced. I also like the idea of using Cole's "On Target" rules for Aiming and making Evaluate dice rolls too, in which case you could just apply posture penalties to attacks as penalties on your Evaluate rolls instead.

Choose your next maneuver

Last edited by Plane; 05-02-2019 at 04:28 PM.