Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #21
Tzeentch

Default Re: Pyramid #3/51: Tech and Toys III Overview

Quote:
Where is the consistency problem?
Not with regard to rules. I consider the article a drop in replacement for the generic Nanoweave.
Quote:
I'd love to see your opinions on all six, plus at least a sentence on your thoughts about the Odds and Ends and Murphy's Rules.
Roger that. I tend to be pretty ambivalent on the Murphy's Rules though, games are too darn well written these days compared the old RPGs.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
Not with regard to rules. I consider the article a drop in replacement for the generic Nanoweave.
Only the last paragraph. The rest of the article is TL9. The armour was designed to compliment the other TL9 armours in Ultra-Tech while trying to remain consistent with High-Tech. Everything else was taken directly from UT - complete with page references. It was deliberately written as a sourcebook and was intended to be fully compatible with everything in UT.

Last edited by DanHoward; 02-09-2013 at 01:34 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
apoc527

The whole issue was composed of gold-pressed latinum as far as I'm concerned. The bionic article was probably amongst the most-useful Pyramid articles for me, while Ultra Tech Too and Dan's Future Combat Uniforms are also incredibly valuable for anyone running a futuristic game.

The quality of Pyramid makes the Ogre-caused GURPS release schedule more survivable and keeps me coming back for more.

Since this thread contains mostly SJ Games personnel and the authors of articles, let me be a voice of the fans by saying THANK YOU for all your excellent and great work and continuing to support GURPS fans worldwide. This is excellent stuff and while I'm sad that most other companies can't produce stuff like this, I'm happy to have found one that has never wavered from its absolute commitment to quality.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
NightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
The whole issue was composed of gold-pressed latinum as far as I'm concerned. The bionic article was probably amongst the most-useful Pyramid articles for me, while Ultra Tech Too and Dan's Future Combat Uniforms are also incredibly valuable for anyone running a futuristic game.

The quality of Pyramid makes the Ogre-caused GURPS release schedule more survivable and keeps me coming back for more.

Since this thread contains mostly SJ Games personnel and the authors of articles, let me be a voice of the fans by saying THANK YOU for all your excellent and great work and continuing to support GURPS fans worldwide. This is excellent stuff and while I'm sad that most other companies can't produce stuff like this, I'm happy to have found one that has never wavered from its absolute commitment to quality.

I second this comment i would love to see lots more bionics and the rest of the issue while not useful at the moment was AAA+ as far as i am concerned

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
Tzeentch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
I second this comment i would love to see lots more bionics and the rest of the issue while not useful at the moment was AAA+ as far as i am concerned
I'm hard pressed to think of any V3 Pyramid issue where I got nothing of value. I don't buy every issue if it's a theme I don't care about much, but that's mainly because I'm not super rich, not because I don't think I wouldn't like the articles. Other companies could do something like Pyramid, but I doubt they would be as consistently excellent without the editors and reviewers of such high caliber -- and GURPS writers have a well-deserved reputation for fastidiousness which also helps. To some degree the State of the Art books for Shadowrun are, overall, similar I think in that they are themed issues but the sandbox is smaller so you can't get enough submissions to release something every month (I'm rather ambivalent about the push to PDF mini-supplements unless they are held to the same standard as print books - and most are not).
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Even when an issue's articles aren't quite what I want, I can still see their high quality.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
NightHawk

This is exactly what i was saying... useful at the moment... means that it will come in handy at a later time...

I agree i have not yet found anything really useless. just not needed at the moment for my current needs.

I faithfully buy every issue every month because of the value i see that is in them both content and Quality. Everyone at SJGames always does a wonderful job and even though sometimes i have asked questions that others have made apparent that they were a little out there lol Kromm and the others have always been so professional at making me sound not so far fetched... They are excellent people , and all the writers I agree are awesome as well both in content, quality and Ideas.

I loved all the articles my favorite at the moment was the bionics only cause that is the direction i am taking at the moment for my current campaign. The other articles did one thing, made it really hard for me to want to stay focused on cybernetics type campaign. They gave me many ideas and I thank you for those.... but dammit stop doing that or i will never stay in the same genre...lol ok maybe don't stop doing that cause I also love to have tons of materials so the sky is the limit.

I like the ability to design your own mecha and I am kinda working an idea to squeeze some into my cybernetics campaign but i will fish those out in another thread lol.

I admit i have not finished the issue as I have been busy at work but i am eager to get to the rest of the toys in the issue and will comment on those when i do.

I am already awaiting next weeks issue with eagerness though i am sure there are a tom more goodies coming our way.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
Steven Marsh

Thank you all for the kind words. We really do work hard to make Pyramid the best darn magazine we can -- really, I'm trying to capture the flavor of the mags I loved when I got into the hobby. Hearing when we're in the right area (at least for some readers) is really encouraging.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #29
NightHawk

Ya it is nice that once in awhile there is something other than DF, I know that DF is where the $$ is and although at heart I am a strong fan of it DF being so popular seems very overwhelming when issue after issue focuses around it. I would love to see more Cybernetics and Supers from time to time.

And David P. "Step up and get more wonderful Ultra Tech flowing... lol"

Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
wgahnagl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Besides, if this material is well-received enough, Pyramid would probably be open to a sequel article... :-)
I think it was a great edition for a cyberpunk style game. Now that I think about it, Shadowrun but using GURPS would be a whole lot of fun. Need to see if my players would be up for it.

Tags
mecha, pyramid, pyramid 3/51, ultra-tech, uniforms