Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #31
Hypaspist

Default Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Spoilerrific)

Although they came no where near the plot of the movie, the two "campaigns" that best captured the feel for me were a Traveller module and a Scout Commando campaign from Auto Duel.
The Traveller worked nicely because it was so shocking to the characters that a planet had degenerated that far and the Scout Commandos were only open to those under 18, so the characters were all in between 13 and 18.
Both took place back in the late 80s when that future seemed a real possibility. Oddly, a Twilight 2000 campaign did not convey the level of *&$%^& ness of the Mad Max world like those two did.
But the Twilight 2000 did convey how that future could be just 5 years down the wrong road.
I can't remember the exact time; but Max Headroom's "30 seconds in the future" always struck a power cord.
LOL
And that cord wasn't plugged into a Tesla filled with Rare Earth materials.
The other thing Barter town would have had would be methanol. Ethanol would be good food turned into fuel. Which is another interesting thought, taking good food crops and using them to fire up those mighty engines.
May be those chase scenes just looked really fast as they rolled through the wasteland at 20 miles an hour on alcohol.
Hypaspist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #32
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Bang skills are definitely part of the setting. Hmm... you may not care about what happened in the past, but IME it builds a more vibrant setting if the GM knows. Look at the movie - there's a lot of backstory that never made it into the movie directly, but it's there in hints and allusions.
I'd use the "Action" switches, but I don't particularly care for Bang! skills. I like things more granular, and tend to go for long-term campaigns.

That's why I like in-depth backgrounds. If things start to stabilize in the immediate area -- which, if the party does its job right, it would -- they'd want to scout further. I could definitely see a fun scenario that would include a small coastal town under the control of a U.S. Navy crew that protects it with the main guns of their destroyer, anchored offshore.

Too bad the destroyer is running out of diesel...
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #33
Skarg

My favorite scenes are the opening car combats from Mad Max and The Road Warrior, and I'd like good rules for those sorts of thing. If I were a player (or GM), I'd want to play it before Fury Road started and not get the freakin' Interceptor destroyed in scene 1.

I bought GURPS Autoduel in hopes of being able to play a game like Mad Max and The Road Warrior, about fencing with cars, and using skill and a great sports sedan to cause others to crash. But I still don't know any system that'll do that well, since it's all about skill and perception and simultaneous tricky subtle maneuvers and fake-outs and playing chicken and those don't seem to easily translate well to "I-go, you-go" turn-based hex movement, and certainly not to Car Wars vehicles with gun turrets (nor really to Fury Road with so many guns and grenades and silly people on tall bendy poles, nor riding on your hood trying to spit a little extra gas into your air intake).

As a GM, I've actually contemplated doing GURPS Fury Road for a convention game - that is, the chase scene from the film, laid out for GURPS tactical combat. However, I would have to add a lot of house rules for the situation of almost all of it, which involves everyone keeping a similar pace and direction, so the map has a velocity and all movement in relative to that, and apparently involves die rolls and skills.

Also, if I ran such a game, my opinion of the tactics and techniques would tend to result in it being a satirical comment on what I think is the gross silliness of the film's events. The people clinging to car hoods and bendy poles during violent maneuvers would have a series of rolls to hang on, and I would expect them to die off pretty quickly, likely for little or no gain whatsoever. Given that they seemed to have quite a few decent guns, too, I think the pursuit (if anyone had Tactics instead of Berserk, which I guess they didn't) would just drive up alongside but far enough away to not get sideswiped, and shoot the truck driver and/or passengers before too long. And/or Max in the cab with a stockpile of firearms, would be picking off drivers in the pursuit. And if they did make it to the canyon, my rules for jumping a motorcycle over a truck in order to drop a molotov cocktail on it, would tend to have that not be a safe or effective thing to do. That is, I found a lot of the tactics and stunts to seem extremely impractical, so I imagine it would play out as a short-lived comedic disaster.

The truck chase from The Road Warrior would be much more interesting to me, because of there being so few bullets involved, and far fewer ludicrously silly tactics.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mad max, setting