Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
kosbour

Default Azurite Hex-A-Hedron

Can I roll both Jumbo d6s even if I roll only one regular 6-sided die and keep the result from either Jumbo d6?

In case I roll one die for the monsters and one or more dice for me in combat do I roll both Jumbo d6s and use (if I choose to do so) the result of the "Monster" Jumbo d6 to replace only the die rolled for the monsters side and the result of the "Munchkin" Jumbo d6 to replace any of my dice OR is the distinction between "Monster" and "Munchkin" Jumbo d6 useless in this case and I can use the result of either Jumbo d6 to replace either regular d6?
kosbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Azurite Hex-A-Hedron

The way the card is worded, I'm pretty sure you roll both Blue Jumbo d6s regardless of how many dice you would be rolling otherwise.

The wording is definitely clear that the result on either dice can replace any regular die roll. The type of dice does appear to be irrelevant. Consider that the power can be used when searching too, or at any other time you roll a d6.

In a combat with your own monster/s, you roll once for yourself and once for your monsters. You don't roll them all at the same time. You'd be able to roll the Jumbos both for your roll and the monsters' roll.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
In a combat with your own monster/s, you roll once for yourself and once for your monsters. You don't roll them all at the same time. You'd be able to roll the Jumbos both for your roll and the monsters' roll.
This is not correct. Die rolls for players and monsters are considered to be simultaneous, even if logistics require that they not be. You must choose one or the other roll to use the Jumbo d6 for.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
This is not correct. Die rolls for players and monsters are considered to be simultaneous, even if logistics require that they not be. You must choose one or the other roll to use the Jumbo d6 for.
In that case, shouldn't the correct method be to roll all the dice, then roll the two Jumbos, then decide which dice to replace, if any? For example:

The situation: Player A, with the Azurite Hex-A-Hedron, is rolling 1 dice and he is fighting a Fearsome monster who is rolling two dice and is of his colour. They have equal combat strengths before the rolls.

A rolls: 2
A's monster rolls: 4 6
A rolls the Blue Jumbo d6s and gets: 1 6
A pays 600 gold coins to replace his 2 with the 6 and the monster's 6 with the 1 and hence wins the battle (by 1).

This seems to justify the condition of rolling the dice simultaneously, but you said you have to choose one roll or the other, which would make the above illegal.

Last edited by Clipper; 11-20-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I misunderstood what you were saying; I thought you were saying that you could roll your dice and the Jumbos and then roll the monsters' dice and the Jumbos AGAIN. And I added a misstatement of my own, to boot.

Your second post is entirely correct.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Clipper

Oh, I admit that I did get it wrong in my first response too, so you didn't misunderstand me, at least.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
kosbour

Actually, during the last game we played, we encountered exactly the same situation.

Assuming player A rolls only one die for himself and none for the monster, can he still roll both Jumbo d6s and choose the result of either one to replace his one regular d6?
kosbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosbour View Post
Actually, during the last game we played, we encountered exactly the same situation.

Assuming player A rolls only one die for himself and none for the monster, can he still roll both Jumbo d6s and choose the result of either one to replace his one regular d6?
I can now answer definitively: yes.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I can now answer definitively: yes.
You really can't, because you are neither a forum mod nor SJ Games staff. We're the only ones allowed to make definitive statements. You can offer very firm opinions, but that's as far as you're able to go.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Mister Ed

He can offer YOUR (or MunchkinMan's) definitive answers, though, where such exist, right? I'm assuming that's what he meant. (Usually he links to them, but since it is in this very thread, I'm assuming he thought that would be overkill.)

That goes a bit beyond offering a strong opinion, though I guess in that case, HE isn't really the one answering. :-)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote