Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: [D&D Adaptation Question] Swallow Whole rules and mechanics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Wait, so there's a feat who makes you able to do that, it's not automatic? You should've said that on your first post.
It's a special attack, not a feat. In any case, I believe it's a special case of Binding in GURPS; I don't have Powers at hand, but IIRC it's mentioned in there.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
Adelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's a special attack, not a feat. In any case, I believe it's a special case of Binding in GURPS; I don't have Powers at hand, but IIRC it's mentioned in there.
That's odd; usually I see it as Constriction Attack with the Engulfing enhancement. Binding seems sort of an odd choice since its usually binds the target to an external location. Constriction Attack's writeup in Powers mentions its fitting for creatures which envelop prey, so that seems better; with Engulfing it is hands-free.
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
That's odd; usually I see it as Constriction Attack with the Engulfing enhancement. Binding seems sort of an odd choice since its usually binds the target to an external location. Constriction Attack's writeup in Powers mentions its fitting for creatures which envelop prey, so that seems better; with Engulfing it is hands-free.
Oh, you're probably right. As I said, didn't have Powers at hand.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
PTTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
The standard formula is:
1 size category in D&D = 2SM in GURPS.

So, 2 size modifiers to swallow whole in D&D means 4 size modifiers in GURPS, If the information is correct I say, because it seems doubtful a standard human being could eat whole a baby.
Can confirm, it takes at least two separate meals.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
T
3) While silly, it is true to the rules and genre conventions that after slicing yourself out of a creatures stomach, its wound closes via "muscular action" or some other nonsense. Worth bothering with this? Probably just a setting switch, or limited niche form of regeneration/a perk level benefit.

Thanks for any responses.
Huhn? It might be true to the rules, but the genre convention is that the creature dies.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Huhn? It might be true to the rules, but the genre convention is that the creature dies.
The main reason it appears in the rules is so it's possible to slice your way out without chewing through the several hundred hit points of a purple worm. I don't believe it was possible in AD&D.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I've only played this sort of thing under old versions of D&D, but cutting your way out tended to require doing enough damage to kill the beast anyway.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Adelus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The main reason it appears in the rules is so it's possible to slice your way out without chewing through the several hundred hit points of a purple worm. I don't believe it was possible in AD&D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I've only played this sort of thing under old versions of D&D, but cutting your way out tended to require doing enough damage to kill the beast anyway.
I'm referring to the 3.X rules, where it seems usually that you have to do much less damage than the creature's full HP to get out.

For instance, a Tarrasque has 858 HP, but you only need to deal 50 damage to escape its stomach. Considering that its relatively easy at those levels to get protection against the relatively minor crushing and acid damage, the much lower AC of the Tarrasque from the inside, and not having to deal with its attacks and its special protective scales, one strategy is to simply let yourself get eaten and kill it easily from the inside.

As another example, a T-Rex listed on the d20srd has 180 HP, and only 25 damage is needed from the inside to escape.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Adelus

Minor update.

Been experimenting a bit trying to figure out how to model how much bigger something has to be to swallow something else (instead of going right along with the D&D size categories). I'm hovering around a difference of around 6 to 8 SMs, before getting into modifiers like Born Biter, Stretching, etc.

Though now I've had some more ideas;

1) At what point is something so big that it doesn't make sense to charge it for Constricting Attack (Engulfing)? At about 6-8 or so SMs of difference, assuming that's raw size and not effective from stretching (a dragon or giant, as compared to a "small" giant toad or man-eater plant), its at the point that they could probably just grapple/bite and realistically swallow without the need for a special ability.

1.5) Maybe it might be more prudent to make a house ruled maneuver/technique off of grappling for this?

2) Depending on the size difference, how would it be modeled for an attempted swallow taking more than one turn? What modifier on Constricting Attack would fit?

Also, I'm debating whether cutting oneself out would require enough damage to qualify as a Major Wound, or just a particular fraction of HP.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
gilbertocarlos

SM-6 would be a large apple or banana, doubt a human being could fit one in the mouth.
SM-7 is a small to standard apple/banana, It may fit in the mouth, but It will be very hard and painful.
SM-8 is what I lean towards, the size of a lime, most people could fit one in the mouth.

Tags
adaptation, conversion, d&d, swallow whole