Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
Anders

Default [The Last Gasp] + [Dungeon Fantasy]

Do they mix well? And what templates should begin with extra Action Points and Second Wind? I'm thinking about giving the melee fighters (Barbarian, Knight, etc.) + 5 AP [10] and one level of Second Wind [5] for a total of 15 points. What do you think?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [The Last Gasp] + [Dungeon Fantasy]

It's the right style of fight (man-to-man tactical combat with melee) but the wrong genre, I think. DF is mostly about maximum awesome.

You'd want to figure out how to tone it down without a lot of pause. So instead of a lot of "Make a HT roll and get back AP equal to MoS," I'd alter all of that to "take this action, get back X AP."

Go through the article and see what simplifications can be made to keep the game flowing and allow "My turn. I attack, that's 1 AP. Go." or "getting close to the bottom, I All-Out Defend and get back 4 AP. Go."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You'd want to figure out how to tone it down without a lot of pause. So instead of a lot of "Make a HT roll and get back AP equal to MoS," I'd alter all of that to "take this action, get back X AP."
I'll just assume they roll a 10. That should simplify things enormously, although it does cause some threshold effects.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I'll just assume they roll a 10. That should simplify things enormously, although it does cause some threshold effects.
Breakpoints and min-maxing are delightfully in-genre. :-)
Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Anders

Also, I'm one of these people who like awesome founded in reality and this makes the resource management part of DF all the more clear. The characters will need to rest for a month after coming back from the dungeon down to their last 2 or 3 FPs.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
GWJ

Quote:
I'm thinking about giving the melee fighters (Barbarian, Knight, etc.) + 5 AP [10] and one level of Second Wind [5] for a total of 15 points. What do you think?
I think you should allow AP for everyone. I think ranged fighters or spellcasters will not buying this, or will buy really small amounts.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Anders

Everyone will have Action Points, but melee fighters will have extra AP as part of the template to make sure they can last through a long fight.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
I think you should allow AP for everyone. I think ranged fighters or spellcasters will not buying this, or will buy really small amounts.
Spellcasting depends on if the GM shifts it to AP instead of FP, but by and large, I agree - make the AP available to anyone . . . but adding some of the features to existing templates (say, swapping out the current version of Outdoorsman for the OPs suggested package; Peter's new book makes it better, so maybe not there) as options would be solid.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Anders

A quick look-over - primary melee fighters (Barbarian, Knight, and Holy Warrior; I don't use the Swashbuckler) have HT 13, AP 18 and Second Wind 1 allowing them to regain 8 AP if they spend a FP. I'll probably give them all Fit, so they recover 2 AP on a "recovery" maneuver. I don't use normal spells, so spellcasting is a non-problem.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
It's the right style of fight (man-to-man tactical combat with melee) but the wrong genre, I think. DF is mostly about maximum awesome.
It's also a game of resource management, hence why the weights of all items from your plate armor down to your coins are considered to matter. Gradients of in-battle fatigue fit in quite well with this.

What would scare me is the potential for this system (by reputation as I haven't read The Last Gasp personally) interacting with FP from spellcasting. Spells burn a lot of energy.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, the last gasp