Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Faolyn

Default [DF] Solving for N

Anyone know a good way, except via eyeballing, to figure out the methods used in determining N in the DF adventure? I really like the idea and am in the process of making my own random encounter tables.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: [DF] Solving for N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Anyone know a good way, except via eyeballing, to figure out the methods used in determining N in the DF adventure? I really like the idea and am in the process of making my own random encounter tables.
If you figure one out, let me know. N values in the encounter tables in Mirror of the Fire Demon were arrived at by trial and error.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
If you figure one out, let me know. N values in the encounter tables in Mirror of the Fire Demon were arrived at by trial and error.
LOTS of trail and error. I ran that adventure in playtest a half a dozen times and the first three resulted in all different results. It wasn't until the fifth or sixth time that things sort of trundled out.

Ditto on the monsters from Monster Hunters 3. I must have ran twenty or thirty encounters trying to fine tune the numbers PK had in the draft.

You really have to eyeball your party AND your players. Do you have a sneaky player? One good at improvising solutions? One not so good at it? How are the characters themselves constructed? Any heavy hitters? What's the amount of damage the characters can dish out? What can they take? How many HP do they have? Do they have a high HT? Any advantages that modify that? Do they have meta-game altering abilities (Luck, Serendipity, etc.)?

Those questions will help you figure out what N means if only for your particular party of adventurers.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
cosmicfish

Is there a reference for any of this? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Is there a reference for any of this? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
In the adventure "Mirror of the Fire Demon," the encounter table is built so that you encounter N monsters. For instance, N Dire Vultures or 2N Orc Scouts. N was equal to the number of PCs, plus useful NPC allies. It's an amazingly useful guide, because it allows the adventure to be scaled according to party size really easily.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Faolyn

Darn; I was hoping for a good guide. Ah well. I'll mostly have to eyeball it, then.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
In the adventure "Mirror of the Fire Demon," the encounter table is built so that you encounter N monsters. For instance, N Dire Vultures or 2N Orc Scouts. N was equal to the number of PCs, plus useful NPC allies. It's an amazingly useful guide, because it allows the adventure to be scaled according to party size really easily.
N also scales according to PC ability (300 point characters get more opposition than 250 point ones, for example). But it turns out that figuring out how many monsters of such-and-such a type are good opposition for a set of adventurers, even ones constrained by DF templates, is not easy.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
N also scales according to PC ability (300 point characters get more opposition than 250 point ones, for example). But it turns out that figuring out how many monsters of such-and-such a type are good opposition for a set of adventurers, even ones constrained by DF templates, is not easy.
Yes, "constrained by DF templates" is not constrained very much at all, considering that just using DF 1 you could play anything from a Wizard with Wild Talent to a Bard with Mind Control. You really have to consider the specific set of adventurers in question when abilities that powerful are possible.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
cosmicfish

Quote:
Ah!

Whenever I am running a game, I always try to keep things loose. If an encounter is going badly for the PC's, introduce some ally or just otherwise allow the bad guys to fail a Fright Check. If it is going to easily, have one of the bad guys whip out a horn and summon reinforcements, or perhaps just have them show up!

As the campaign goes on, you can refine that N number better with each encounter.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Whenever I am running a game, I always try to keep things loose.
Oh, certainly. That's what I do myself. However, within the context of a published adventure which might be purchased by people who didn't want to spend money to be told to make judgement calls, we needed something more precise.

Tags
balance