Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #61
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Bio-tech related Quirks and Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I think bees can see light polarization. That might be one some people want. Not sure immediately what you'd use it for.
It will allow quick determination if you're seeing actual water reflections or mirages, sun position when obscured by clouds, and probably a couple other uses. It would have perk level advantage.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #62
Astromancer

Juvenal Tastebuds in human infants there are tastebuds in the top of the mouth. Extra tastebuds in odd arrangements could be a quirk or a perk.

Similarly children have different prefered tastes before and after puberty in most cases. An adult with tastebuds and tasting reactions like a prepubescent child would have a deeply annoying quirk.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #63
johndallman
Night Watchman

Accessory: Thermometer. A much more accurate sense of temperature by touch. Note that this does not provide any protection!
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #64
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It will allow quick determination if you're seeing actual water reflections or mirages, sun position when obscured by clouds, and probably a couple other uses. It would have perk level advantage.
In fact, I wrote that exact perk up in GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses, on p. 26.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #65
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Certain Male animals go through Musth a state not unlike female mammals going through heat/Estrus. Periods of heightened sexual drive and general irritability are common for mammals.

A Quirk level version of this sort of thing would be a obvious choice for THS.
A reverse of this is found in some animals. There are many mammals that can't perform sexually out of season. Individuals who have cyclical periods of asexuality perhaps flipping between short periods of hypersexuality and longer periods of asexuality.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #66
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
A reverse of this is found in some animals. There are many mammals that can't perform sexually out of season. Individuals who have cyclical periods of asexuality perhaps flipping between short periods of hypersexuality and longer periods of asexuality.
That really depends on how one defines asexuality in a specific setting.
If everyone's like that, then of course it's a feature.
But among humans, it will often cause problems and a sense of alienness among both sides. With temporary cluelessness/immunity to overt seduction attempts. I know a couple of 100% asexuals and they have had some problems with others' assumptions and how sexualized pretty much all cultures are.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #67
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That really depends on how one defines asexuality in a specific setting.
If everyone's like that, then of course it's a feature.
But among humans, it will often cause problems and a sense of alienness among both sides. With temporary cluelessness/immunity to overt seduction attempts. I know a couple of 100% asexuals and they have had some problems with others' assumptions and how sexualized pretty much all cultures are.
In Theodore Sturgeon's short story "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff," one of the characters has problems along those lines, and is seriously troubled by them, though he only seems to be about 80% asexual.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #68
Astromancer

These individuals would basically have a short period of Lechery in their cycle, it could be a monthly or a yearly cycle, then the rest of the time they'd be eunuchlike. They'd have no sexdrive or capassity to function sexually. Like the average eunuch, they'd know what sex is, but they'd be out of the game.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #69
Flyndaran
Untagged

Eunuchs are very different, because their brains were never sexual.
Becoming asexual after puberty is quite different. I had a cat that was castrated as an adult, but he would still perk up his ears whenever he heard a distant cat in heat. He didn't want out, but looked almost like he was reminiscing.
Of course this hypothetical species may have social taboos about displaying sexual knowledge or attitudes outside of breeding season. Effectively making act like "eunuchs" in polite company.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #70
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In Theodore Sturgeon's short story "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff," one of the characters has problems along those lines, and is seriously troubled by them, though he only seems to be about 80% asexual.
That story has an interesting synopsis. But yeah, like most things psychological, sexuality is a spectrum.