Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-28-2023, 07:12 AM   #1
Anders

Default Invisible Helmets and Breathing

So I've been thinking about completely face-covered helmets and Invisibility. Wouldn't they cause problems with breathing?
Old 02-28-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
sjmdw45

Default Re: Invisible Helmets and Breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So I've been thinking about completely face-covered helmets and Invisibility. Wouldn't they cause problems with breathing?
You could build in a dogleg or two to supply air.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:01 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You do need holes, but you don't need a straight path through. Also, the holes required for breathing are a lot smaller than the holes required for vision.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:46 PM   #4
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You do need holes, but you don't need a straight path through. Also, the holes required for breathing are a lot smaller than the holes required for vision.
But it does help if they're larger than "tiny"...

But on a tangential question, if you can't see the "chinks in armor"... what would be the random chance to hit them? Or the penalty to target them if you know they're there 'somewhere'? Frex if someone pays for fully invisible armor or someone wants eye slits in case of "No Mana Zones"? Or ye olde "I raise his invisible visor with a flick of my sword and then on my second attack right into the eye"?
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post

But on a tangential question, if you can't see the "chinks in armor"... what would be the random chance to hit them?
Ignore armor results on the critical hit table?
Old 02-28-2023, 03:19 PM   #6
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post

But on a tangential question, if you can't see the "chinks in armor"... what would be the random chance to hit them? Or the penalty to target them if you know they're there 'somewhere'? Frex if someone pays for fully invisible armor or someone wants eye slits in case of "No Mana Zones"? Or ye olde "I raise his invisible visor with a flick of my sword and then on my second attack right into the eye"?
If someone were under an Illusionary Shell with Complex Illusion that made them e.g. look six inches taller, I would say that attempts to target the eyes automatically fail. Ditto attempts to target helmet armor chinks/eyeslits.

Making exceptions to the rules based on the whole situation is why GMs exist.

I would still allow random hit locations to result in an eye hit, but IIRC armor chinks aren't on the random hit location table so that would never randomly happen without a critical hit.

I'd call "raise the invisible visor with my sword" a -13, just extrapolating from the -9 for eyeball-sized targets and that it being invisible makes things harder. That assumes you guessed correctly. If it turns out there is no visor, or it lowers instead of raising, or is locked into place with a latch, your attempt to raise it autofails.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 02-28-2023 at 03:23 PM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #7
DanHoward

All of the myths about armour being hot and stifling are actually caused by enclosed helmets. Any helmet that covers the face (including face visors) should cause issues with fatigue, not just invisible helmets.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:06 PM   #8
Joe

Quote:
You do need holes, but you don't need a straight path through.
This seems like it might be true in principle, but for whatever my experience may be worth, I have found it false in practice. Decent breathing while fighting really requires good airflow. You need to be able to suck in and expel large quantities of air, and anything that gets in the way of that is really uncomfortable. That's why you definitely want a straight path for the air to travel through, not a bendy one!

Quote:
I certainly agree that breathing holes can be smaller than the vision slot - that is indeed how many full-face medieval helmets worked. But to make really small breathing holes work, it really helps to have a lot of them (and even then you really end up being desperate to take the damned helmet off, or at least raise the visor if possible, whenever you get the chance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Any helmet that covers the face (including face visors) should cause issues with fatigue, not just invisible helmets.
This matches my experience.

Last edited by Joe; 11-22-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:38 PM   #9
Anthony

The required holes for breathing are the same on an invisible helm as on a visible helm, its just that you don't need to deal with the hassle of making it possible to see while wearing the thing, which simplifies the design. I expect the lower part (below the nose) of an invisible helmet would be mostly indistinguishable from a conventional helmet, it just lets you replace the viewport area with a solid sheet of metal (this assumes that invisible helmets don't fog up like plastic would; antifogging would be a big challenge without rubber).
Old 11-23-2023, 09:13 AM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
(this assumes that invisible helmets don't fog up like plastic would; antifogging would be a big challenge without rubber).
Maybe the fog is also invisible?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote