Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-26-2022, 04:01 AM   #11
Balor Patch

Default Re: The loadout problem when creating new PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
You can limit it a little to a light edged rapier which lowers the damage -1 and limits reach to just a 1, if you really feel that a 250pt character shouldn't start the game with an appropriate weapon.
Given the way Weapon Master and Weapon Bond work this leaves him relatively at -4 to hit (on the inevitable rapid strike) and -4 damage compared with his designed weapon. That's... OK as long as he has Signature Gear on the weapon he didn't buy and it's waiting in the first dungeon.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:37 AM   #12
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Given the way Weapon Master and Weapon Bond work this leaves him relatively at -4 to hit (on the inevitable rapid strike) and -4 damage compared with his designed weapon. That's... OK as long as he has Signature Gear on the weapon he didn't buy and it's waiting in the first dungeon.
I don't fully follow. WM would still work on the light rapier - it's not bought per weapon, but but weapon class. WM that included any rapier would include all rapiers. So -1/-1. I'd allow such a character to hold his Weapon Bond in reserve as he hadn't found that perfect weapon yet.

Even if that were not the case, that skill can be used for other things - hit location, Deceptive. Swashbucklers don't always Rapid Strike.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Another thing I've done is assign random loot. You can get something you can't use (and I always allow for skills/advantages to be switched if you want to), but you can also get awesome stuff too. DF8 for the win here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:15 PM   #14
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Another thing I've done is assign random loot. .
That sounds like a fun idea.

Could work as a "grab bag" idea, too: a PC can spend some amount to get a bunch of stuff guaranteed to be of higher value - but it's random stuff.

(DF8 is fantastic for rolling up stuff, as you note. I'd advise any DF GM to snap it up - but also to put it to work before play. Rolling up its more detailed creations can take a surprising amount of time.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:47 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
That sounds like a fun idea.

Could work as a "grab bag" idea, too: a PC can spend some amount to get a bunch of stuff guaranteed to be of higher value - but it's random stuff.

(DF8 is fantastic for rolling up stuff, as you note. I'd advise any DF GM to snap it up - but also to put it to work before play. Rolling up its more detailed creations can take a surprising amount of time.)
It can also incentivize team dynamics before play begins: If you take Sense of Duty (Teammates) you get to share gear so if the wizard rolls the Bow of Awesome and the Scout rolls a Staff of the Magi then they can trade IF they take SoD.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #16
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I plan on running I Smell A Rat, so getting characters kitted out for long hikes is not really my issue. What I really need to solve for is the issue of, say, the barbarian not needing a weapon fancier than an axe, while the swashbuckler really wants to start play with an edged rapier (especially because swashbucklers won't want to plan on switching weapons as soon as they earn their first five gold pieces, due to Weapon Bond).
Running this logic in the opposite direction... having a swashbuckler NOT start with a fancy sword and weapon bond makes all of these easier:
Provide an easily identifiable path for CP use (weapon bond)
Provide an easily identifiable path for $ use (the weapon you want)
Avoid explaining why someone with an expensive sword would take a low level starter job
Let the GM dangle increasingly fancy swords in front of the PC to let him decide when to spend the Weapon Bond point
Let the GM showcase some weapon-destroying opponent without totally screwing the swashbuckler
Let the GM provide some quest level story to justify something like Signature Gear

Starting poor isn't necessarily a bug, it's a feature.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:09 PM   #17
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I don't fully follow. WM would still work on the light rapier - it's not bought per weapon, but but weapon class. WM that included any rapier would include all rapiers.
Is it, though? Adventurers page 54 says "One specific weapon (e.g., nunchaku or rapier). 20 points". If it were a weapon class, wouldn't it say "flail" instead of "nunchaku"?

To me (as a DF novice) it seems plain that a Swashbuckler is going to prioritize starting with an edged rapier at any cost, even if he winds up having no other gear including armor or even basic rations. It's just that important. I think of Inigo from the Princess Bride: reduced to working for criminals like Vizzini "to pay the bills", but he's still got his father's sword!

Last edited by sjmdw45; 09-06-2022 at 12:13 PM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:14 PM   #18
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Is it, though? Adventurers page 54 says "One specific weapon (e.g., nunchaku or rapier). 20 points". If it were a weapon class, wouldn't it say "flail" instead of "nunchaku"?

To me (as a DF novice) it seems plain that a Swashbuckler is going to prioritize starting with an edged rapier at any cost, even if he winds up having no other gear including armor or even basic rations. It's just that important. I think of Inigo from the Princess Bride: reduced to working for criminals like Vizzini "to pay the bills", but he's still got his father's sword!
Your way is the GURPS standard ruling. DFRPG does make specific exceptions for bows and knives.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:41 PM   #19
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Your way is the GURPS standard ruling. DFRPG does make specific exceptions for bows and knives.
Right, and rapiers vs. edged rapiers are not an exception. Ergo a different kind of rapier really is -4 penalty on Rapid Strikes relative to your edged rapier weapon of choice.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #20
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Right, and rapiers vs. edged rapiers are not an exception. Ergo a different kind of rapier really is -4 penalty on Rapid Strikes relative to your edged rapier weapon of choice.
Weapon master(one specific weapon (type) : rapier) [20] does cover all kinds of rapier.

The following post is for DF, not DFRPG, but it should apply :
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=37

It was discussed before here :
https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=2436133

See also http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=25 for Gurps, DFRPG is more generous for the knife category, as noted above.

Last edited by Celjabba; 09-07-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote