Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
Kalzazz

Default Springing Attack

Has anyone got much use out of this or seen it used? What is it good for? I've never seen anyone take it, or seen it used when someone picks Myao Myao pregen
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Springing Attack

Attack and fly out is generally useful in GURPS, so I imagine that's what you'd use it for mostly.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:18 PM   #3
tbone

A very niche ability, and one that just feels too expensive, with its greatly limiting "requires Ready". Then again, it combines two levels of Striking ST with what's sort of an analogue of Great Void, so maybe the price is fine.

It'd be interesting to hear from anyone who's seen it used frequently in play.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:41 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The Ready requirement seems like it would be a useful fight-starter, and also when fighting foes against whom staying out of reach is your best defense. It's definitely one of those abilities that probably gets more use if you use mapped combat.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:01 AM   #5
Kalzazz

I do mapped combat but have yet to see anyone take it (or use it when using the Myao Myao pregen)
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I do mapped combat but have yet to see anyone take it (or use it when using the Myao Myao pregen)
Well, I don't know if I'd take with a swashbuckler, but I'd probably use if playing Miao Miao, to start fights and if fighting something that I don't want being able to reach me. You certainly could design encounters that make it worthwhile.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #7
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Attack and fly out is generally useful in GURPS, so I imagine that's what you'd use it for mostly.
I don't get this. You've got to set up with a with a Ready manuever, then you spring forward a yard then step away a yard. Given the 10 point cost it doesn't seem all that useful. The requirement to Ready seems too inconvenient.

Last edited by restlessgriffin; 06-20-2022 at 02:48 PM.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:52 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
I don't get this. You've got to set up with a with a Ready manuever, then you spring forward a yard then step away a yard. Given the 10 point cost it doesn't seem all that useful. The requirement to Ready seems too inconvenient.
It's not inconvenient at all before the fight starts and it's less inconvenient than being smacked with an attack too heavy to parry and too deadly to risk. These therefore being the two situations it's probably the most useful in.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:26 PM   #9
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's not inconvenient at all before the fight starts and it's less inconvenient than being smacked with an attack too heavy to parry and too deadly to risk. These therefore being the two situations it's probably the most useful in.
Before the fight starts is extremely niche situation. Especially since it means you generally won't be able to use on a situation where your ambushed. Maybe I'm reading wrong but it seems like you either gain an extra yard (2:vs 1) or you have ormal step but get to take anther step away after the attsck.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:37 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
Before the fight starts is extremely niche situation.
I wouldn't say extremely. Every fight starts. If you want to leversge this you certainly can.
Quote:
Especially since it means you generally won't be able to use on a situation where your ambushed.
If thats even half your fights you probably should adjust your tactics!
Quote:
Maybe I'm reading wrong but it seems like you either gain an extra yard (2:vs 1) or you have ormal step but get to take anther step away after the attsck.
Yes, that's how it works, along with Striking ST.