Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Purpose of Faith Healing

I find myself scratching my head at the Cleric's Faith Healing Advantage.

Why take it? It requires at least 1 level of Power Investiture, so you're going to spend 43 points on at at minimum.

For those same 43 points, you could have PI 4 and take the spells: Regeneration, Major Healing, and Cure Disease.

You would end up with very similar healing abilities and have 3 extra points of PI for spells.

To me, I think this ability would be great if it was a Holy Warrior ability that keyed off of Holiness. Paladins have always had a lay on hands ability to heal, and the DFRPG Holy Warrior currently lacks that.

Last edited by WhiteLily; 10-05-2020 at 12:52 PM.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Purpose of Faith Healing

Healing spells and the Healing advantage all accrue penalties if used more than once on the same subject. Using many different abilities allows you to sidestep those penalties. And I think Holy Warriors and Clerics can take all Holy abilities, not just those listed on their own template.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
WhiteLily

33 character points seems like an awful expensive way to sidestep the -3 penalties for healing the same person more than once a day.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
Anders

I agree. It's probably not the most useful way to spend those points.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
WhiteLily

Exactly.

I could absolutely see taking this ability as a Holy Warrior if it was keyed to Holiness instead of PI.

There's another thread on "What to do when you have a party with no cleric?" so giving the Holy Warrior back his/her traditional lay on hands ability seems to help address that problem.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
Exactly.

I could absolutely see taking this ability as a Holy Warrior if it was keyed to Holiness instead of PI.

There's another thread on "What to do when you have a party with no cleric?" so giving the Holy Warrior back his/her traditional lay on hands ability seems to help address that problem.
For holy warrior :
Quote:
You may also buy all of those described for clerics – but where they
mention Power Investiture, substitute Holiness.
So, there is the Lay on hands for holy warrior.

And a cleric start with PI 3, so the prerequisite is always met for clerics, who cannot start with PI 0 (or 1 or 2). the cost is 33, not 43.
Obviously, still more than 3 to get the matching spells. (4 to grab great healing) (actually more if you want to raise the spells skill level to match the native IQ+PI of faith Healing.)

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-05-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Imbicatus

Yes, Holy Warriors can take all holy abilities on the cleric template as well as on the HW template. But spells are always cheaper in points than their power equivalents.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
Celjabba

As for other advantages for cleric:
-it add more heals per target per day
-Major Healing is restricted to 8hp, faith healing isn't
-it can repair crippled limb instantly, not in a month(restoration/regeneration)
-it is much faster than cure disease (10 minutes) or great healing (1 minute). If you need to heal a lot of hp in one shot or stop a disease or heal a crippled limb during a fight, you can with faith healing. Not with spells.

Yes, it is expensive. But for a dedicated cleric healer, it can be a valuable supplement to the spells.

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-05-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
WhiteLily

Celjabba:

Oh, wow! Thanks for clueing my into the HW being able to take all the Cleric abilities. That's neato!
Old 10-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
Kalzazz

It can fix dismembered?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote