Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default Car Wars TV episode

So, I bought Spielberg's Amazing Stories on DVD thinking that there was a Car Wars episode (or Car Wars like) in the series, but there isn't.

Do any of you old timers remember remember the many anthology shows from the mid-80s, and specifically do you remember an episode where there was a story set in a Car Wars like world?

I'm sorry if I've asked this before. I know there was that show with Jacko ... but I thought there was another show that had a Car Wars like stand alone episode.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Car Wars TV episode

I just did a search of the episode summaries for both the 1985 Twilight Zone and Tales From The Darkside for "car" with nothing relevant coming up. Are you certain it is an 80s show?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Blue Ghost

You know, I'm thinking it was that show with Jacko, the Aussie Energizer guy. I just remember one evening during a CW session (before we got set up) there was a promo on, and my friends told me to look. They said it was Car Wars on TV.

It's not a big deal. I actually tried searching, and came up with the same thing you did.

Sorry if I asked this before on this forum. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Whitestreak

Try "The Highwayman" from 1987-88, only lasting 9 episodes.

Sam J. Jones was the lead.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
owenmp

Blue Ghost,

The television series was "The Highwayman." The two-hour pilot movie aired on NBC in the U.S. in 1987, starring Sam "Flash Gordon" Jones and Claudia "Babylon 5" Christian. The series aired on NBC in the U.S. in 1988 featuring Sam Jones, Jacko, Jane "V" Badler, and Tim "Star Trek: Voyager" Russ.

Sam Jones is on Twitter. He would like to hear from fans of The Highwayman.

The Highwayman tractor-trailer was purchased by a tattoo company in Texas. The truck is used as a mobile tattoo studio.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat

Last edited by owenmp; 10-21-2017 at 11:39 AM.
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
Blue Ghost,

The television series was "The Highwayman." The two-hour pilot movie aired on NBC in the U.S. in 1987, starring Sam "Flash Gordon" Jones and Claudia "Babylon 5" Christian. The series aired on NBC in the U.S. in 1988 featuring Sam Jones, Jacko, Jane "V" Badler, and Tim "Star Trek: Voyager" Russ.

Sam Jones is on Twitter. He would like to hear from fans of The Highwayman.

The Highwayman tractor-trailer was purchased by a tattoo company in Texas. The truck i used as a mobile tattoo studio.
LOVED that show! Even bought a bootleg DVD of all the episodes a few years ago, since two of them were preempted locally. :-)

What's his twitter handle? Would love to reach out to him!
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
jimmylogan

Not the one you're talking about, but curious if any of you remember Badlands - twenty something... Was George Miller's attempt at a Mad Max television show - even had Toecutter in the pilot episode. :-)

Had that on VHS for a LONG time! They were after water instead of gas.

WAITAMINUTE! It was a precursor to Fury Road!!!
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
owenmp

jimmylogan,

Sam's Twitter information is listed below.

Twitter - Sam J Jones
https://twitter.com/RealSamJJones
@RealSamJJones

The "Viper" TV Series is finally being released on DVD. The release should occur next year. I can send additional information via private message.

The ABC TV series "Street Hawk" that aired in 1984 and 1985 has been on DVD for a few years.

I will plan on updating the Web page below later this year. This forum has been great at posting titles of media I have never encountered before.

SWAT HQ - Automotive Combat Media Checklist
http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/media/index.html
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
. . .
I just remember one evening during a CW session (before we got set up) there was a promo on, and my friends told me to look. They said it was Car Wars on TV.
. . .
You reminded me of a show named Viper. I thought it came out at the same time as Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in 1993, but IMDB says it was 1994.

The commercial for Viper really played up a Car Wars mood with a high-tech James Bond style vehicle based on a Dodge Viper, but I don't think I cared to watch more than the first episode.

I then came across The Highwayman searching IMDB, but the posts above beat me to it. However, that appears to be an actual one season series rather than an episode of an anthology.

What other shows were focused on a super-vehicle gimmick, and was that a recipe for success or bad writing?

Knight Rider and Air Wolf spring to mind immediately.

For some reason, I thought about this Saturday morning series from the '70's named Ark II (had to look it up, I'm no encyclopedia).

I guess once the vehicle becomes the size of a ship then that significantly expands the genre, e.g. Star Trek, Love Boat.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
Blue Ghost

Thanks for the replies. I remember the clip had some dude standing next to a car with a van in the background, and one of the two fired a blue laser. Maybe it was for a different show.

Not a big deal. Thanks for the replies.

Maybe someday we'll have a Car Wars TV series or movie.