Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
marvin

Default ISW: First Clash - Who's There?

I'm attempting to outline a military campaign based upon the very beginning of the First Interstellar War. I've read Bont, Prior, and DeGraff's Trillion dollar Credit scenario called First War, First Blood (JTAS, Sept. 2, 2003; online). While helpful the nations listed as participants don't seem to mesh with the ISW book.

They list the United States, European Union, Russian Federation, Pan-Sino League, and the Macronesian Protectorate Force as participants. ISW says, "At first, some of the national squadrons refused to engage the Vilani at all, leaving the American and Chinese squadron to bear the brunt of the engagement." (ISW, page 25). Obviously, America is the United States and the Chinese are the Pan-Sino League (perhaps the greater Pan-Sino League includes Korea and Taiwan).

So can I also assume the EU and Russians are present as well? What about Japan and India which are also listed as major powers in IW (pg. 56)? Is there any canon anywhere about this or should I fudge it? What do you guys think?

Finally how big should the fleets and ships be? I was thinking of making the Jefferson's 800dt frigates.

As a final question...Were there any worlds in canon specifically mentioned as colonized by the US? Prometheus is an EU effort and I know several other worlds have Scandinavian and even Turkish influences. So where did Americans go?

Thank you.
Benjamin
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: ISW: First Clash - Who's There?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
I'm attempting to outline a military campaign based upon the very beginning of the First Interstellar War. I've read Bont, Prior, and DeGraff's Trillion dollar Credit scenario called First War, First Blood (JTAS, Sept. 2, 2003; online). While helpful the nations listed as participants don't seem to mesh with the ISW book.

They list the United States, European Union, Russian Federation, Pan-Sino League, and the Macronesian Protectorate Force as participants. ISW says, "At first, some of the national squadrons refused to engage the Vilani at all, leaving the American and Chinese squadron to bear the brunt of the engagement." (ISW, page 25). Obviously, America is the United States and the Chinese are the Pan-Sino League (perhaps the greater Pan-Sino League includes Korea and Taiwan).

So can I also assume the EU and Russians are present as well? What about Japan and India which are also listed as major powers in IW (pg. 56)? Is there any canon anywhere about this or should I fudge it? What do you guys think?

Finally how big should the fleets and ships be? I was thinking of making the Jefferson's 800dt frigates.

As a final question...Were there any worlds in canon specifically mentioned as colonized by the US? Prometheus is an EU effort and I know several other worlds have Scandinavian and even Turkish influences. So where did Americans go?

Thank you.
Benjamin
Barnard's Star is specifically mentioned as having a US outpost on it though there seems to be a Vilani one as well. According to canon the ISW started when a Vilani supply convoy refused to answer US traffic signals and was fired upon.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
rfmcdpei

Default Re: ISW: First Clash - Who's There?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Taiwan is likely, Korea not; Taiwan's Chinese by language, while Korea has its own identity.

Quote:
Just because a country is one of the countries identified as a major power doesn't mean that it needs to have forces in the Barnard's Star system. Likewise, it's imaginable that a country that isn't a major power did have forces in the Barnard's Star system. Perhaps the Japanese and Indian squadrons were in Sol system when the clash began, while the sole squadron of Macronesia (some kind of greater Indonesia?) had the bad luck to be visiting the Barnard system when the fighting began.

Quote:
The world of Sequoyah in the Near Bootes is identified as having a strongly Native American tinge.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interstellar wars