Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Pre-Gen Character Card Errors

Blur ring - I thought it worth mentioning. Is it just going to cause added confusion to specify that it uses no ST? Does that sentence need a comma or something?

"Skill levels" - No such term in TFT. That's GURPS. Henry, please tell me what you mean. But I do not believe you are figuring the Staff spell improvements as intended.

I'm going to post the Orc Fighter cards here too, RSN, in order to get the benefit of all these eyeballs.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #22
hcobb

I define the term skill points as current IQ plus XP points spent on talents and spells divided by 500. This allows me to compare wizards and heroes.

If I'm wrong about Staff V costing 5 skill points (one per level of Staff) then goblin sorcereress become even more overpowering.

Last edited by hcobb; 04-11-2019 at 07:03 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #23
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I define the term skill points as current IQ plus XP points spent on talents and spells divided by 500. This allows me to compare wizards and heroes.

If I'm wrong about Staff V costing 5 skill points (one per level of Staff) then goblin sorcereress become even more overpowering.
Ah. So it's a self-referential term that has meaning for you. Okay, got it. Still not in the rules though -- and it's been a great source of confusion in your many posts on talents and skill levels.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #24
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Ah. So it's a self-referential term that has meaning for you. Okay, got it. Still not in the rules though -- and it's been a great source of confusion in your many posts on talents and skill levels.
When you see an inaccurate/house rule mention, please flag it so that our team can either delete the post or move it into house rules where it belongs. With the game just now reaching everyone (and in stores next week), we want to cut down on confusion where we can.

Last edited by philreed; 04-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #25
hcobb

A better fix would be to list the XP each wizard has expended. This would include Mana, which never costs IQ points. You could also reverse equipment cost of fancy or enchanted equipment through the one gold piece per XP ratio.

Or find the XP cost of extra talents, mana and gear and convert this into XP and apply this for straight attributes and round up for attribute equivalent.

Larya – Elven Adept (40 points / 42 equivalent points)
Talarion the Younger – Elven Wanderer (40 points / 41 equivalent points)
Gnarz – Orc Combat Mage (36 points / 39 equivalent points)
Koris – Practical Mage (32 points / 36 equivalent points)

etc.

Last edited by hcobb; 04-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #26
oldwolf

Slowly checking through the TFT Wizard cards. Found the following so far:

Atelyas doesn't have high enough IQ for Lock/Knock, Orri should have Dwarven Tongue for free, Endenothee has his name spelled two different ways.

I will work through more later.

As a general observation, a surprisingly high number of these wizards are illiterate. Makes one wonder if the vaunted mages guild is at all close to its reputation. Personally, I kind of like the idea of powerful wizards having to ask a clerk to read their correspondence to them. Lol.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #27
oldwolf

Continuing checking the Wizards:

Sor the Soothsayer should not have Megahex Avert, it is IQ 15 and his IQ is 12.

Talarion the Younger should have elvish language for free, he being an elf.

Harro Halfheight should have knife talent.

Asphodel should be MA 8

Wise should have Orc tongue for free

Littlecut should have knife talent.

Fiona IQ and DX stats are transposed and she should have the knife talent.

The Magnificent Marvolio should have Staff II

Larya Eleven Tongue should be free since she is an elf. And in her description: "Sometimes, though, she is busy with the corps of apprentices and her fellow masters, bring new magic items into the world. " , bring should be replaced with bringing.

Last edited by oldwolf; 04-13-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added two more wizards with errors. And now another 4.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #28
Skarg

Regarding the Knife talent, in original TFT, we often had wizards and fighters who carried daggers for emergency use in HTH combat, where we thought having the talent didn't matter. We thought Knife wasn't needed to use a dagger in HTH, but now I can't remember if that was in a Q&A somewhere, a house rule, or if we just reasoned that you get +4 DX in HTH, so daggers tend to be useful for people without the knife talent in HTH anyway.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #29
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Regarding the Knife talent, in original TFT, we often had wizards and fighters who carried daggers for emergency use in HTH combat, where we thought having the talent didn't matter. We thought Knife wasn't needed to use a dagger in HTH, but now I can't remember if that was in a Q&A somewhere, a house rule, or if we just reasoned that you get +4 DX in HTH, so daggers tend to be useful for people without the knife talent in HTH anyway.
Hmm. That's a point I don't think we ever even considered... I think we always assumed you needed to have the Knife talent to use a knife effectively in combat. The only thing we did was make sure that it didn't cost double for a wizard, since it was such a basic skill, and we thought anybody planning a career of violence (whether Wizard or Warrior) would probably get some basic training in how to use a knife. But I can sure see your point now that you bring it up!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:08 AM   #30
hcobb

Untalented dagger does make a difference for the listed Halfling because it negates Thrown Weapons talent.

In the more general case of DX 10 wizard with untalented dagger-stave:
The wizard can defend untalented.
Knife talent has no impact on occult strike.
A DX 10 untalented dagger can be drawn half of the time in HTH and will hit 55.63% of the time for +3 damage over bare hands that hit 90.74% of the time.
With Staff II or higher the wizard is immune to the greater chances of dropping or breaking the weapon.

Personally I'd add a note in each case that this specific wizard was training to use his dagger or sword and would buy the talent as soon as he had the XP.

Last edited by hcobb; 04-14-2019 at 03:14 AM.