Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
warhorse11h

Default Am I reading this wrong

ITL LE says, on pg 123, "A person who has the Master Armourer talent can make a sword, polearm, hammer, mace, or ax (but no other weapon) so well that it does extra damage, or effectively increases its user’s DX, or both. A dagger may do extra damage, but not increase DX. This is not magic – just very good craftsmanship. A weapon could have bonuses both for being well-made and for magic, if it was made carefully and then enchanted. Good workmanship can give a weapon such good balance that its user gets +1 DX (never more than +1). A cutting weapon can also be made of such good metal that it does either 1 or 2 extra hits of damage."

It seems to say, to me at least, that a hammer or mace can be made so well that it can have a bonus for DX and Damage, but the last sentence says that cutting weapons are the only ones that can get a damage bonus. A hammer or mace do not seem to fit. Which one is it?
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Am I reading this wrong

I've read it as:

Dagger: +damage only
Hammer/Mace: +DX only
Cutting weapons: Both

Javelins: ?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Jeff Lord

"...does extra damage, or effectively increases its user’s DX, or both."

Emphasis mine.

I think that the wording implies a dependency on the item being crafted. It could have been clearer, but I read it as saying that a hammer or mace can only ever be crafted to +1 DX.
Jeff Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Another interpretation that fits is that hammers, etc, can get a +1 to damage (the first clause of the first sentence is true; +1 is "extra damage"), but not +2 (so the last sentence is also true -- only cutting weapons can get to +2, but cutting weapons can also be made as +1).
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Jeff Lord

"A cutting weapon can also be made of such good metal that it does either 1 or 2 extra hits of damage."

This sentence strongly implies that only cutting weapons can receive a bonus to damage. A hammer or mace is not a cutting weapon.

I wouldn't give javelins a bonus to damage as they are strictly piercing and not cutting weapons. YMMV.
Jeff Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Another interpretation that fits is that hammers, etc, can get a +1 to damage (the first clause of the first sentence is true; +1 is "extra damage"), but not +2 (so the last sentence is also true -- only cutting weapons can get to +2, but cutting weapons can also be made as +1).
Exactly so.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
larsdangly

The passage is repetitive and confusing, but I would say the opening sentence states the general case and the bit about the dagger gives the one exception, and you should ignore the last passage (which reads like something that was pasted in from a different place or retained from an earlier edition).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
RVA_Grandpa

Here is my take on that passage.

Quote:
"A person who has the Master Armourer talent can make a sword, polearm, hammer, mace, or ax (but no other weapon) so well that it does extra damage, or effectively increases its user’s DX, or both.
Polearm, hammer, mace, ax: +1 DX and/or +1 damage.

Quote:
A dagger may do extra damage, but not increase DX. This is not magic – just very good craftsmanship.
Dagger: +1 damage only.

Quote:
A weapon could have bonuses both for being well-made and for magic, if it was made carefully and then enchanted.
Weapons can gain additional enhancements through enchantments.

Quote:
Good workmanship can give a weapon such good balance that its user gets +1 DX (never more than +1). A cutting weapon can also be made of such good metal that it does either 1 or 2 extra hits of damage."
Swords: +1 DX and /or up to +2 damage.

Note: "A cutting weapon... made of such good metal" also implies to me that axes, halberds, and pike axes could be made with +2 damage enhancement.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.

Last edited by RVA_Grandpa; 03-19-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: incorrect data
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'd go with this interpretation as well. Makes sense that edged weapons can get a further point of damage, if made to be especially keen or serrated or such.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #10
hcobb

So daggers, javelins and maces get sharp spikes for +1 damage while halberds, axes, and swords get sharp edged for +2 damage?