Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #151
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
I received mine yesterday in the Tar heel state. The book looks and feels amazing. Thanks Doug for all the hard work you put into this. Now we need a Dragon Heresy powered by GURPS edition!
I would do this in a heartbeat.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #152
pierseb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I would do this in a heartbeat.
And I would by it in a heartbeat!

Reading Hall of Judgment, I was thinking that default racial template wouldn't do it justice. I don't have Dragon Heresy. Start regretting not getting it. I presume it offers Norse flavor races?
pierseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #153
Pseudonym

http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2018/0...judgement.html I finished reviewing the game today. Looking forward to getting my copy in the mail.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #154
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Do you mind if I quote this in some buzz notes about the book? I'd like to draw attention to the product on ENWorld, RPG.NET, theRPGsite, and Geek and Sundry.
Go for it. I’m happy to help.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #155
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Go for it. I’m happy to help.
Awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #156
cbower

Got mine today. Excellent work. I really like the heavier paper feel, it's a stout book. It's also a nice upgrade from the Lost Hall of Tyr (which I also got). I don't run canned adventures as a rule, but this one works as a mini-setting and is definitely worth picking up if you missed the Kickstarter.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #157
Tom H.

I got more into reading some of the book last night than just reviewing it. It's pretty easy and fun to read, so I give it my vote for being user-friendly.

I think I got hooked reading the random encounters for the journey, and then that necessitated expanded interest.

There is some surprising, quirky stuff. Sharing a super-light spoiler, you may come across a lone trapper or adventurer in the wilderness. Out of some random reactions, one has him (or rather 'them;' okay still not used to everything progressive in our culture) getting inebriated on his own wine while hosting a meal for the party. That leads to him not tending his cooking properly. Then everybody has to resist getting nauseous for four hours that night. As Steve Jackson would say, ooookaaaaay. Let's hope there are no aggressive night stalkers eyeing the camp that night. ;-)

Since I have the Dragon Heresy RPG PDF in this same setting of Etera, I got interested in cross-referencing some of the locations to Hall of Judgement. I assume that Nordland is the equivalent of Torengar in Dragon Heresy. There were some off-map towns mentioned in Hall of Judgement that I was able to find on the expanded maps in Dragon Heresy. That may have been or still be a nice offering to make available a wider area map for reference for those without the full RPG.

Granted I haven't read everything, but the whereabouts of the town of Warding in the rumors is still of no precise location to me (not that it would affect the play though.)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #158
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I got more into reading some of the book last night than just reviewing it. It's pretty easy and fun to read, so I give it my vote for being user-friendly.
Excellent.

Quote:
I think I got hooked reading the random encounters for the journey, and then that necessitated expanded interest.

There is some surprising, quirky stuff. Sharing a super-light spoiler, you may come across a lone trapper or adventurer in the wilderness. Out of some random reactions, one has him (or rather 'them;' okay still not used to everything progressive in our culture) getting inebriated on his own wine while hosting a meal for the party. That leads to him not tending his cooking properly. Then everybody has to resist getting nauseous for four hours that night. As Steve Jackson would say, ooookaaaaay. Let's hope there are no aggressive night stalkers eyeing the camp that night. ;-)
But it's REALLY good wine!

Quote:
Since I have the Dragon Heresy RPG PDF in this same setting of Etera, I got interested in cross-referencing some of the locations to Hall of Judgement. I assume that Nordland is the equivalent of Torengar in Dragon Heresy. There were some off-map towns mentioned in Hall of Judgement that I was able to find on the expanded maps in Dragon Heresy. That may have been or still be a nice offering to make available a wider area map for reference for those without the full RPG.

Granted I haven't read everything, but the whereabouts of the town of Warding in the rumors is still of no precise location to me (not that it would affect the play though.)
Ah! That's just not-great construction on my part. Clerics and holy warriors that serve Heimdallr (the Lord of Warding, unnamed in the text, because de-Norsed) are spread very thin, etc.

There's no town in particular for that one (Rumor 8, p. 16).

Edit: That being said, even the main Torengar map from Dragon Heresy doesn't have every settlement or hamlet. The BIG cities/towns in Nordlond/Torengar might be 10,000 to 30,000 folks. There are really only a few of those. Kingspoint, Northwatch, Northpoint, Isfjall, and maybe one or two others qualify, and Northwatch only if you sweep a nearby town next to the citadel proper.

Then you get into the hajarl's seats of power: large towns of perhaps 1500-5,000 people - and those tend to be on the map. Isfjall is one such, odd because of the extremes in population by season.

After that, you're into the hamlets and villages territory, with 200-750 or so, and there will be a LOT of such towns, far too many to put on any map. "A few dozen to a few hundred families live and farm here" is going to crop up frequently (so to speak).

Last edited by DouglasCole; 09-13-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #159
InfinitePudding

I got my copy yesterday after coming home from a long grocery shopping trip. It was a nice surprise. I wasn't prepared for just how nice the printing and pages were. :) I've started reading it today (Had to stop because I have a L5R game starting in a few minutes). I'm really enjoying reading about how society is set up in Nordland. I almost couldn't put it down. I'm half tempted to not read any further and wait till i get invited to play it myself.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #160
Ulairi

I got my copy on Friday. I live 5 hours from Doug and my copy took a week to get from MN to WI via the USPS. This isn’t a complaint about Doug but man.....seeing the tracking history of how the post office got my product from MN to WI was really funny.

Doug, when my DH book arrives, can I just drive the 5 hours and pick it up? ;)

I’ve been reading it all weekend. I’m not a pdf gamer so I haven’t really looked at the PDFs much.

Doug: You should do an “inspiration” for the setting of novels, movies, shows, etc folks can read to learn more about a Viking style of play. The only Viking thing I know is the TV show from the History channel.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote