Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Agemegos

Default Rim of Tinder

Over in the GURPS forum I seem to have persuaded soulnafein that his best place to start in setting up his first GURPS 4th ed interstellar-SF exploration/trading/spacecombat campaign would be with GURPS Traveller Interstellar Wars. I expect that he will be in soon to look for advice about Interstellar Wars adventures.

In the discussion in which I gave that advice the point has come up that though Interstellar Wars is a fabulously comprehensive introductory product — containing as it does as setting brief, nine subsectors with planet descriptions, system and world generation rules, exploration and contact rules, 26 ship descriptions (several with deck plans), ship design rules, space combat rules, ship ops rules, speculative trade rules, gear lists, etc. etc. etc. — it doesn't actually introduce one to anything further.

Amongst other things, the participants in that discussion have suggested in effect (1) getting the map from the GDW boardgame Imperium or its 2004 version from Avalanche Press and using the procedures in IW to generate details for any worlds that don't have them in IW, or (b) obtaining Rim of Fire and extrapolating its world descriptions back to the epoch of Interstellar Wars.

Are there any existing efforts at backdating Rim of Fire or extending The Terran Neighbourhood, available perhaps on the web or in the JTAS archives, which soulnafein and other Interstellar Wars newbies would find useful as somewhere to move on then they have used up the content in IW?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 10-15-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted before I was finished composing.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: Rim of Tinder

A couple of years ago some of us tried to fan-create a work about NPCs living on Nusku, including several that would be useful as patrons or contacts for free traders.. Sadly, we ran out of steam before finishing, but there are some useful ideas to be gleaned from the thread:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=1326273

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interstellar wars, rim of fire