Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #981
phayman53

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Really like your reloading press articles. In your first one you mentioned doing the 6.5 Grendel in the future. I always liked the idea of that round, though I have never shot it. Any chance you could do it in the near future/next? Thanks!
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #982
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Really like your reloading press articles. In your first one you mentioned doing the 6.5 Grendel in the future. I always liked the idea of that round, though I have never shot it. Any chance you could do it in the near future/next? Thanks!
Here's the list of the rounds I want to cover in the near future, in the order I wrote them on my whiteboard, but not necessarily the order I will cover them in. When I'm pressed for time, the obscure ones are easier, because (for example) there are roughly ten billion kinds of .50BMG, but rather fewer 6.5 Grendel.

.50 BMG
.22 LR
6.5 Grendel
5.45x39mm
7.62x39mm
7.62x51mm

I tend to gravitate to the semi-auto and automatic rounds, but in terms of pistol stuff and some others, I could see

.50 AE (because Desert Eagle)
.357M
.44M
.38 Special (which I'd likely do as a subset of .357M)
.357 SIG would be cool too
.25ACP
.380 ACP
.50GI (why do you carry a .45? Because they don't make a .50! Now they do!)

Sniper rifle cartridges would be another set

.416 Rigby
.338 Lapua Magnum
.300 Winchester Magnum
.300 WSM and WSSM
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #983
Kalzazz

I'd still love to see the .270 Winchester
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:12 AM   #984
DouglasCole

Welcome to another installment of Melee Academy! Today's sample is "Opening Moves," and in this post I consider what happens when a generalist superhero and his team comes up against a very wide variety of opposition. In this case, the opener is more about information than damage . . .
Old 02-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #985
DouglasCole

Thursday is GURPSDay, and we're going All-Out. All-Out Attack is a maneuver rarely seen in the games I've played because it costs you your ability to defend, which is life-saving and vital in GURPS. What if instead of "no defenses," there was a harsher penalty? Would that make it more viable? Too viable? Options are explored.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #986
DouglasCole

A quick note on how I do the JHP bullet calculations when I work up cartridges for the Reloading Press.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #987
DouglasCole

A day late due to vacation, here's the venerable but omnipresent 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge, as brought to the Reloading Press. 
Old 02-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #988
Kalzazz

The .308 has a special fondness to me as my very first gun I owned ever was a Remington 760 in .308

My father was in the Army and truly loved the M14, particularly the M14a1 selective fire variant (he was issued the M14a1 for his calibration team), feeling that it was a great combination of both range and firepower. He often told the story about how the only real limitation on the rifle was GI eyeglasses, he couldn't see the far off targets when qualifying so he had to watch for motion and shoot where he knew the targets were even if he couldn't see them.

I admit I am a bit curious whether he would have considered it such an excellent rifle if he had been infantry and actually had to carry it through the jungle instead of the rifle (and its accompanying ammunition) being carried by truck.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #989
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
The .308 has a special fondness to me as my very first gun I owned ever was a Remington 760 in .308

My father was in the Army and truly loved the M14, particularly the M14a1 selective fire variant (he was issued the M14a1 for his calibration team), feeling that it was a great combination of both range and firepower. He often told the story about how the only real limitation on the rifle was GI eyeglasses, he couldn't see the far off targets when qualifying so he had to watch for motion and shoot where he knew the targets were even if he couldn't see them.

I admit I am a bit curious whether he would have considered it such an excellent rifle if he had been infantry and actually had to carry it through the jungle instead of the rifle (and its accompanying ammunition) being carried by truck.
And goodness gracious, I forgot to list any hunting rifles or sniper platforms, only going for battle rifles and assault rifles/carbines.

My bad.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #990
Kalzazz

I think the Remington 760 does deserve special notice and I am surprised it doesn't show up in RPG books
1. Its one of those odd duck slide action rifles (which you know, roleplayers often like interesting odd things)
2. It actually was a very brisk seller, Remington sold oodles of the things
3. It was at least (supposedly) intended to work very nicely like the ultimately popular 870 shotgun, and often found in the hands of law enforcement (and law enforcement guns are good, the PCs often are, or face, law enforcement)

The premier rifle for the .308 though seems to be the Remington 700, and its military sniper friend the M40

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb