Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
KBH

Default Channel Force

Hi,
I want to generate a Power called Channel Force from the WH40k universe, which allows to damage an enemy after a successful hit with a Force Weapon, see Penetrating Strike.

The essence of the Power (according to the fluff) is, that it allows to damage an opponent in melee due to a successful hit and the opponent is allowed a Resistance roll.

I started Crushing (1d) and the enhancements/limitations
No Blunt Trauma (nbt) -20,00*%
No Knockback (nkb) -10,00*%
Melee Attack (1) -25,00*%
"Countermeasures
(specialized technology)" -5,00*%
"Countermeasures
(specialized capabilities)" -5,00*%
Visible -10,00*%
Nuisance (obvious) -5,00*%
No roll to hit 100,00*%
No active defensive 300,00*%
Ignores DR 300,00*%

I now wonder how to add the requirement "After successful attack with the Force Sword"? What about Aspected (Requires successful melee attack with Force Sword) -15%.

How to simulate the resistance aspect, which is the only way the opponent may prevent the damage due to no roll to hit, to active defense, ignores DR. The limitation Resistance (B115) seems not to fit although I like the approach that it requires a HT roll.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your support and kind regards
KBH
KBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:44 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Channel Force

Maybe do it as a Malediction? They default to ignoring DR and requiring a resistance roll.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
Anaraxes

IA with Follow-up (substituting the normal melee attack for the more prototypical IA in front of the Follow-up IA, which seems like a wash to me) along with Resistable (B115). That Limitation text says you only use it for Toxic or Fatigue attacks, but I think that's mostly for flavor.

(Resisting poison makes sense; resisting cutting edges doesn't. But if you're trying to replicate the WH40K mechanic of having a resistance, then I'd just use Resistable anyway. If you want to stick more to GURPS philosophy, youi'd want some sort of Unreliable Damage Resistance Afflicted on the target, which would be buildable, but awkward.)

Or Imbuements (Annihilating Weapon, Incendiary Weapon, etc), with the Imbuement Advantages granted by Gadget Limitations on the force sword.

You could also buy Striking ST with the Resistable Limitation, though that's getting a bit weirder. Also makes the "force" damage ST-based, which might not fit the fluff so well, if it's more about the equipment than the user.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 12-14-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
naloth

Two ways come to mind.

I'd buy a followup attack with the limitation ("requires force weapon"). The attack can be either an Affliction or an Innate Attack depending on just what you want to accomplish. WH40k Librarians either do a lot of damage or have a "heart attack" Affliction to instakill anything they attack.

The second way is to use Imbuements. You can still have the same limitation, but there are lots of different skills for augmenting otherwise mundane weapons.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote