Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2015, 02:09 AM   #831
Wavefunction

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Initially, I figured it would be crazy-talk. Some noodling later, and turns out it actually addresses quite a few issues that come up on the boards. Certainly worth looking at.
I'm shocked you ever doubted me ;)

I am frankly astonished that nobody, myself included, has ever proposed such a system before, that's not to say its perfect by any means, but it is very surprising it hasn't so much as been mentioned before now (I say this reasonably confidently, I did a lot of digging into ST a while back).
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:55 AM   #832
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
I am frankly astonished that nobody, myself included, has ever proposed such a system before, that's not to say its perfect by any means, but it is very surprising it hasn't so much as been mentioned before now (I say this reasonably confidently, I did a lot of digging into ST a while back).
It has been, but not in any great detail. I've mentioned it at least twice (here and here) and I also found a reference here by David Pulver.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:25 AM   #833
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It has been, but not in any great detail. I've mentioned it at least twice (here and here) and I also found a reference here by David Pulver.
Well blow me down with a feather, I'd swear I looked at everything relating to ST a while back when I looked into this. I guess that just shows how truly vast the GURPS forums are.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #834
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

A hunting party wakes up in a strange environment . . . and a SCAR rifle, a KSG shotgun, and an M14 are employed with good results against animated freaking dragon statues.

On the plus side, one of our party discovers she's a mage, and we score a full suit of plate armor. This being GURPS, we stuff the mage into the plate armor.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #835
Langy

Quote:
While designing a character for an upcoming GURPS game, it occurs to me that it might be interesting to use something more akin to Fate's Aspect-based compels for disadvantages in GURPS, rather than the usual point-based mechanism.

I'm sure it's been invented before, and it needs playtest. But I like the idea. If you positively hate Luck points, Impulse Buys, and bonus points, stop now. If you don't hate these things . . .
You mean like the Flaws in Pointsless Slaying and Looting?
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #836
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
You mean like the Flaws in Pointsless Slaying and Looting?
Yes, but these are all player motivated, not "the GM does X, so the player gets DP."
Old 10-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #837
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Yes, but these are all player motivated, not "the GM does X, so the player gets DP."
Though mostly kept that way to prevent a hideously long article from becoming even longer! In any version I'd actually use, GM and player alike could invoke these things.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #838
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Though mostly kept that way to prevent a hideously long article from becoming even longer! In any version I'd actually use, GM and player alike could invoke these things.
Yup. I know you play Fate, and the alternative treatment is fairly intuitive once the consideration is made.

This idea is a bunch like Armor as Dice: while I wrote it up for Pyramid, I know I'm not the only one to have the idea. I wrote my blog piece after working through character generation for Mark Langsdorf's Castle of Horrors campaign, and thinking about how some quirks stay quirk level, but some get invoked so many times they're bona-fide disads. Likewise, a lot of times, you might have stuff on your sheet that disappears once you get your points for it, if for no other reason than the GM can't keep track of 30 different disads for his 5-8 players.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #839
DouglasCole

Today is my birthday. If you want to celebrate with me, go read something i wrote, post a review or a comment, and share it with your friends. Maybe it's Technical Grappling or Grappling Old School. Maybe it's The Last Gasp, On Target, Violent Resolution, or The Deadly Spring. Hell, maybe it's a post on the costumes I make for my daughter. You can find all of that over at GB.

But if you want to wish me well as I start my 45th trip around the sun, tell me what you liked, what you'd do differently, and how you'd use something I've one in your games. And share it. We bloggers are only as pervasive as what is shared that we've done.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #840
Kalzazz

Happy Birthday!

High points definitely include the '1 extra reach for -4 to attack' option, which we have used several times in our games.

I can't seem to find the specific blog post in question it is from
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb